Blood Angel Rhino's WIP [new technique] - PIC HEAVY - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Blood Angel Rhino's WIP [new technique] - PIC HEAVY

Just thought I would share my current project. I am trying a new technique on these rhinos that was discussed in an issue of white dwarf a few months ago.

I started off priming the Rhino's white. Afterwards I sprayed the bottom of the rhino's gun metal. This was to be the base for the "exposed" metal.

After this I took vallejo game color smoky ink and stained the metal and then went back with Vallejo model color transparent orange and added a more "rust" like feel to the metal. I wanted the exposed ares to be really tarnished.

Now for the new technique. In the issue of White Dwarf they were talking about adding irregular wear patterns to a vehicle. In the issue it was a Tau vehicle but what they did was take some water and dab it on salt crystals and then apply it to the model in an irregular pattern to create a "mask".

I found this to be much more time consuming than I had anticipated and took a little trial and error to get it to stick properly. Salt dissolves in water real quick so to compensate you need to oversaturate the salt. I kind of dabbed some water in the general area of the model applied a salt dab big enough to not all dissolve and then nudged it around to the general area I wanted it.

After letting the salt dry for a day I went back and sprayed the vehicle red (they are Blood Angels after all! :sleep. After spraying them red I went back with some dilluted Vallejo Game Color smoky ink and darklined the edges, bolts, recesses, basically anywhere that dirt or shadow would collect.

Lastly I scraped off the salt to reveal the worn metal below. This also proved to be a bit more time consuming than I had anticipated. The paint covers the crystals making it so they won't melt with water applied so you have to scrape first then use an old brush and water to dissolve the rest. going over the vehicle I see I will need to possibly submerge the bottom of the vehicle in water to get rid of any straggler salt crystals.

As you can see though it has indeed created an irregular wear pattern on the vehicle. I think it look pretty cool. Overall I say this technique is worth looking into on future projects and I would say that it is about a medium difficulty (mainly because it is time consuming).

Hope you found this to be interesting. I will try to get some updates in about a week or so. Let me know what you think of it. Do you think it works... Comments, criticisms, complaints, praise are all welcome... :w00t:

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Hm, that's a different technique. Personally I think, as you said, it's rather time consuming and perhaps too much effort as you will still have to finish it off afterwards. But, it's different as you say; lets see what the final product looks like shall we?

KU

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

WD articles are nice, but it is so much better to see someone here actualy try to follow their instructions! Please keep us updated. Rep for you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x2)

it's quite interesting that this was covered in WD, i read about this technique just last week at swannysmodels.com

Salt Chipping and Raised Panel Line Washes

I'd compare the two writeups and see where the differences are (i haven't picked up the WD yet)

I think he used a finer grain of salt, but i definitely like the effect on both his and your model so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x1)

Looks great so far, Mike. The large size of the worn areas makes it look like the Rhino has been through some hellish terrain. Very convincing...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Good tutorial, slorak. At this point, how much time would you say that you've put in the rhino?
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Interesting, I have never heard of using salt as a masking substance!.
    have you tried using latex masking fluid(art masking fluid for watercolor)? I haven't tried it myself, but have seen the results and they can look fantastic.

BTW it DOES look dern good!
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

425 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by theyak View Post
    Interesting, I have never heard of using salt as a masking substance!.
    have you tried using latex masking fluid(art masking fluid for watercolor)? I haven't tried it myself, but have seen the results and they can look fantastic.

BTW it DOES look dern good!
    Yeah there was an article in White Dwarf (US) a few months ago talking about weathering vehicles. I think the whole idea behind the salt is that you will get a very irregular and more natural looking "mask" that you wouldn't normally get by painting on a latex mask. You could always do that though if needed and I have used a paint on liquid mask to good effect.

@Rabbit - At this point probably a couple hours. Not bad overall. My main thoughts on the salt was that I had expected to find it apply easier and come off easier than it did. I am doing 2 Rhinos though so my times were doubled over what I had expected. Still not a major time issue and I think it is worth the effect (so far). I guess we will better know when I finish the project.

@everyone else who commented - thanks for the comments. I am glad the info proved to be useful. I thought it was a neat idea from the article and wanted to see how it applied in practice. If you are interested I say give it a shot - at most it will cost you a little time and a little salt - once you scrape it off if you don't like it you can always paint over it!

Cheers,

-Mike

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

385 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by slorak View Post
    Yeah there was an article in White Dwarf (US) a few months ago talking about weathering vehicles. I think the whole idea behind the salt is that you will get a very irregular and more natural looking "mask" that you wouldn't normally get by painting on a latex mask. You could always do that though if needed and I have used a paint on liquid mask to good effect.

-Mike
    Hm, irregular patterns, I had considered that when hearing about it, have you ever tried using a sponge tip or something like that to dab the stuff on?

So Mike, out of curiosity, can you reccomend a specific brand of the latex stuff that is available in the US?
    Thanks in advance.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

425 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by theyak View Post
    Hm, irregular patterns, I had considered that when hearing about it, have you ever tried using a sponge tip or something like that to dab the stuff on?

So Mike, out of curiosity, can you reccomend a specific brand of the latex stuff that is available in the US?
    Thanks in advance.
    Yeah I have used a sponge and to good effect too. I think it might be a bit easier to get a more natural look with the salt (again this was my first time with this technique).

As to the latex mask... I currently am using Vallejo. They make one with their model color line. You should be able to pick up larger quantities at an art supply store.

Cheers,

-Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast