Living Saint/ Cannoness - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

Living Saint/ Cannoness

I was working on my entry for the current painting competition and was wondering what people think of this. I'd say its fairly close to being done and critism will help.

Update Picture Below

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The wings look very nice. Perhaps a small wash + highlight might make them stand out more.

I don't like the yellow, personally, it feels very awkward. I can't put a finger on it, sorry =/

The base + purple cloak looks really nice. But i'd change the hair colour. Blonde with all those light colours doesn't really work for me, but perhaps it does for you. I'd go with a brown/black or red if you wanted to be adventurous.

I don't know that much about metallics... yours looks okay, i think you went over it with a chestnut ink? It looks quite nice, but it still feels slightly flat to me.

Just my opinion. It's coming along very nicely.
    Eat cheese.
    It's good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also have to say that I don't like the yellow, especially on the weapon. Yellow is incredibly hard to make look right, so don't worry. If your up to it, you could try a metallic wash over it- it may take away some of the extreme brightness and may make it more metally.

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

I think he was going for NMM gold, though I could be mistaken. I don't think it works all that well, the colours aren't quite blended together and it comes across as yellow rather than gold. If this was your aim, I'd suggest you have another look at other people's work and tutorials. It is a learning curve and not the easiest of things to achieve.

I don't like the glow on the wings, looks like you've made a mistake and just not corrected it. I would ideally make it more, as in a larger area, on everything close by or loose it completely.

Also, the armour I can't really see. It looks OK but perhaps a bit more shading and highlighting? My final point is the face, it looks rather red. I would highlight it up a lot more, perhaps to a pale skin tone.

It's not bad, but with some more work you could have a good miniature on your hands. =)

KU

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by King Ulrik Flamebeard View Post
    I think he was going for NMM gold, though I could be mistaken. I don't think it works all that well, the colours aren't quite blended together and it comes across as yellow rather than gold. If this was your aim, I'd suggest you have another look at other people's work and tutorials. It is a learning curve and not the easiest of things to achieve.

I don't like the glow on the wings, looks like you've made a mistake and just not corrected it. I would ideally make it more, as in a larger area, on everything close by or loose it completely.

Also, the armour I can't really see. It looks OK but perhaps a bit more shading and highlighting? My final point is the face, it looks rather red. I would highlight it up a lot more, perhaps to a pale skin tone.

It's not bad, but with some more work you could have a good miniature on your hands. =)

KU
    I was going to give advice but it turns out KUF has read my mind. All I'd add is that the yellow on the weapon 'spreads' the model out too much. Keeping the only source of yellow in the halo it will work to center the figure. This will also mean changing the hair colour from blonde. Maybe an extra highlight on the armour? Mixing in a little silver, maybe?

I also can't see what's in the left hand but it might not want to be the same colour as the wings because it kinda disappears. And finally- if you really want to show off- maybe some free-hand work on the cloak. That's entirely up to you though.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

Thanks for you guys honest opinions. The yellow on the weapon was supposed to be a holy source of light to bash my enemy. The skin i agree is quite red in this pic, I'll touch it up. I'll have more time later to post and fix the model. Thanks everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

As for designs on the cloak, what do you suggest? The armour i did by painting the area brown then brass then dark gold then chestnut ink then dark gold, then light gold, then gold with a bit of silver mixed. Should i go more with the highlights? I've decided to not change the yellow on the mace head as it looks real good in real life and good on the battlefield (this isn't a display piece).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

I personally think that if you're going for NMM and/or source-lighting, you need to work on your blending a bit more.
    As it is the colour transitions are a little harsh, in almost every area.

I would also suggest that you need a darker base colour for your golds, if you look at some examples of really good gold NMM they normally start off with a very dark brown, working up to yellows and golds, rather than starting at a darkish yellow.
    Try glazing over all your golds, start off with a dark brown, then build up your highlights back to where they are now. That should add a lot more definition.

As for the source lighting, I'm a little confused as to where it is coming from. The light on the wongs definately looks like it's coming from the halo, but you said the mace is supposed to be the source.
    The most important rule to remember with source lighting is that the rest of the model needs to be fairly dark for it to work properly.
    Because you have lots of fairly light golds, it's hard to see where the light is hitting, and so ends up (IMO) looking a bit confused and messy.
    Again, I'd suggest washing/glazing everything down with some dark browns, then adding more 'extreme' highlights where the light should be hitting.

Don't get me wrong, I think most of the painting is pretty good, but I would say you are biting off more than you can chew by going for two fairly advanced techniques on one model, and because neither of them is really working the end result is not as good as it would be if you had just gone for a 'normal' paint job.

-t.

PS. sorry if any of that sounds a little harsh, it really isn't meant to, so hopefully you can look on it as constructive criticism...
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

I think people are misunderstanding me, 1) The only light source i was doing was the halo (two light sources are way to hard for someone like me) 2) The effect on the halo/mace is not really intended to be nmm gold. I intended them to be a glowing yellow. I understand i could do these as light sources but with the curves in the wings i'll screw it up. I have un-done the little bit of light sourcing on the wings (it was my bros idea, I wasn't quite ready for light sourcing.). Looking at the picture i'd agree that the highlights looks don't look smooth enough. In real life they look smoother and i wonder if just my camera. Either way i will redo some of them smoother.

Thanks, Back to my old painting chair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

UPDATED PHOTOS

What i've done since first pic:
    1) redid purple and added design
    2) redid "red" flesh
    3) made the yellow brighter