Soviet-style Cadians - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x1)

Soviet-style Cadians

Over the past couple of weeks I've been doing my best to convert standard Cadians to look a bit like Soviets.

Most of the "conversions" simply involve shaving the bits off the helmets, painting them green and adding red stars here and there, but I've also created a couple of "trenchcoat" Cadians using GS. The first attempt was wretched, but now I've finished 3 of them and it's getting easier and faster to do.

I've also done a Leman Russ, which is still WIP as I plan on adding accessories such as lots of stowage, fuel drums, etc, etc. Here's some pics:

Takka n' Wakka's Dakka Attacka! 33W / 6L / 1D

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    182 (x5)

For Mother Russia...

No seriously though Ilove very much the look on them... and the red stars in some of them! And the GS trenchcoats... My only concern is that I think everyone had a red star...
    Thanks to all the people showing faith in me

I sometimes feel that everyone will leave me and they will be on their own...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

They look interesting. I suggest that you aim for a dull look in the paint work which is what you seem to have done, (the Soviet union was infamous for being a dreary place).

If you want an alternative method of making trenchcoats here is another way. You can take some tissue paper and cut/rip it so that it is the shape of a trenchcoat for one of your models. Then place it on your model and get it wet with some water. It can then be manipulated to fit the shape you want.

Let the model dry completely in a dry,warm place. Once dry you can soak the tissue paper with watered down PVA. Once this is dry you will have a hard trenchcoat on your model. Note that it will look a little ragged. You don't have to use water to start with either you can easily start with PVA so you don't have to dry it twice.

You may find it easier to place the tissue paper over an existing 'frame' of green stuff to give it support as the tissue paper will be good to add texture for you, saving you the trouble of working with green stuff. Remember that if it doesn't work well the first time, who cares it's only tissue paper so you can make hundreds of mistakes as you try to get it right.

Slaaneshi Battle Barge CO
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x5)

Your conversions look great; I really like the way you've adapted Cadians to make them look like Ivans.

My suggestions:
    1)Add Commissars. The Soviets really did have them.
    2) At least one guy a squad should have a half full bottle of vodka.
    3) No one should have more than one magazine for their weapon. The Soviets were always short on ammo.

Keep up the great work!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x4)

Excellent work on the trench coats and the details on the back and such.
    I also like the "dullness" of the color scheme, one warrior is hard to tell from the other. Gives the right feel of a slight desperation and facelessness. The equipment also looks very standard issue
    I recommend you keep adding the little details along with your more major conversions. Atleast when I see an army like this I start looking for the small touches and those are the ones that completely sell me in the end.
    I look forward to seeing what you do with the tank!

And don't forget the bases! What do you plan on doing with them? Winter or urban theme? (or both?)

This army will look truly excellent once assembled, do you have any mock-ups of what you plan on having in it?

Your fluffraping hurts my eyes. - TehDarkPredator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Leech
    They look interesting. I suggest that you aim for a dull look in the paint work which is what you seem to have done, (the Soviet union was infamous for being a dreary place).
    I've been, and it really isn't dreary.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyan
    1)Add Commissars. The Soviets really did have them.
    During World War 2? Not true. They did exist for a brief period in 1941 when the Red Army suffered numerous defeats at the hands of the German armies, but within a year it was deemed that they were not helping the situation and the system of military commissars was removed.

Sorry for the detour. Russian military history is something I am interested in and I feel compelled to defend it.

--BACK TO YOUR SCHEDULED POST--

Your Guardsmen look real good Misanthrope, you've definitely maneged to get the look of WW2 Soviet infantry. Don't worry about the red stars on the helmets, only some helmets actually had the red star on them.
    Current Projects:
    - Watch this space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Sorry you going for WW2 or modern soviet?

either way LR looks nothing like T34 or T90

clearly mixing some of the valhalarn IG would help as they are pretty much WWII soviet

problem, other than trench coat is the helmets, soviet ones having no bits on side or front, having flat bottom and rather flared, you appear to have had a decent pass at one but most of them it makes them non-soviet for me

Classically, looking at modern soviet forces, or at least cold war, the majority of the soviet forces were either motor rifle or mechanised, since it would be a stretch to make a chimera look like a BTR 60/70/80 I owuld think you are playing BMP-1/2/3, the BMP1 bears distinct resemblance to the FW turret Autocannon Chimera mate (being 73mm from memory) as opposed to smaller callibres of BMP2 and 3
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

I stumbled accross this while 'The Trooper' by Iron Maiden was blearing out of my speakers.

It's an awesome experience!

They look great dude. What do you have in mind for bases? That could make them even better.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

aha- another thought, 2S5s- forgeworld enclosed bassies
    and D30s - FW earthshaker cannons
    and ZSU-234 - FW SP anti aircraft gun is clearly based on
    BRDM Hmm would have to be slamander but tracked not wheeled and too long
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Zveroboy View Post
    I've been, and it really isn't dreary.

During World War 2? Not true. They did exist for a brief period in 1941 when the Red Army suffered numerous defeats at the hands of the German armies, but within a year it was deemed that they were not helping the situation and the system of military commissars was removed.

Sorry for the detour. Russian military history is something I am interested in and I feel compelled to defend it.

--BACK TO YOUR SCHEDULED POST--
    Not to further derail things, but what about the zampolits on Soviet naval vessels? Do they count? If so, they were there up until the fall of the wall in '89, and beyond, if I recall right.

BTW, nice conversions. I'm curious why you are working with just straight Cadians? Why not pick up some Vostroyans or Death Korps or Steel Legion models? Surely those have a similar look to what you're going for? Or are you like me and hate metal models? :shifty:
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast