Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Take a seat and listen to the ongoing tragedy that is my Eldar falcon with Forge world upgrade bits.
Short form of this long story:
MAKE SURE YOUR PRIMER AND PAINTS ARE COMPATIBLE! REALLY COMPATIBLE!
So i go to Games Day Toronto and decide to treat myself by buying the upgrade kit for a falcon.
I then luck out majorly and find a retail store here in Ottawa that found a second edition box for a falcon (so same basic model sans the weapon sprue) and is selling it for 20$ A forgeworld falcon for the price of a regular one! Hazzah!
time comes to prime the beast, and i decide to use the new primer i've been using without problem on the miniatures: Rust-o-leum Painters Choice flat. I've been using it on metal and plastic models without problem (all hand painted) , and at 5$ a can why not.
So i shoot the model full of primer, it goes on beautifully, all seems to be good.
Then i load up my Vallejo Game Colour Somber Grey and the right mix of water (i've airbrushed with this paint before!) and start shooting the underside of the model.
This is where things start to go pair shaped. Instead of the nice even coat i'm expecting, which i got on my first falcon, i get micro dots of gray on my black primer. i hit it with three more light coats, and it's the same story, micro dots, paint separating on the model. it looks TERRIBLE.
I panic. I drive to my local hobby shop, asking questions etc. I get 4 different answers:
1) wash the whole model with soapy water, maybe the release agent seeped through the paint.
2) re-prime with Alclad II primer, that stuff goes over everything
3) strip the model and start from scratch
4) buy a new model (hey look, this was from the store owner, and he had one for sale )
So i figure i'll try a few of each of these solutions. I wash the entire model with soap and water scrubbing it with a tooth brush. I then drop the bigger pieces in my brake fluid that i use for stripping all my other models (i've done carnifexes, metal minis, a few other plastics)
and i buy a bottle of Alclad II primer.
First problem: the brake fluid will not strip rustoleum on plastic. At all.
second problem: brake fluid makes resin go soft :cry: (but it does get rid of the primer)
So i clean off what i can from the resin pieces and hit them with the Alclad II. it goes on glossy, which is expected. I let it dry for two hours then hit the model with the Vallejo again.
IT'S WORSE!!! :cry::cry:
So now i'm stuck. I have the model top and bottom covered in rustoleum, i have the resin bits covered in Alclad II, and none of it will take Vallejo airbrushed onto it.
Tomorrow, once i've calmed down a bit, i'm going to hit all the pieces with an Acrylic primer (armory, what i switched away from when i found the rustoleum, and what the first falcon i airbrushed was primed in) and see if it will adhere to the mess i've made.
If not, i'll break out the new falcon kit, and try and graft the resin bits onto a new kit.
No questions, i just had to vent, and hopefully share some info i've learned the hard way.
double check the mix going through the airbrush.
what exactly do you mean? proportions?
I use regular water + vallejo, and i typically make it just runny enough that it will be sprayed through the airbrush. Usually, i'll do 1part paint to 2 parts water, but i'm doubting that now...
its obvious that the paint doesn't want to hold to the primer. You've been focusing on the primer, just wanted you to double check the other side of the equation... the paint. Try bushing a bit on and see what happens.
i've been doing a bunch of reading tonight based on your comment and it looks like recommendations on mixes are all over the board, but definitely i'm thinning the paint too much
The primer plus paint combination works great when i'm brush painting, which is why i never expected there to be problems.
EDIT: Ok, so i couldn't wait until tomorrow, i got up, loaded 2:1 paint:water into the airbrush cup (i'm not using premixed paint, which is probably my first major mistake) shot it onto one of the pieces of the model that's still rustoleum, and it covered MUCH nicer. I think i could even go down to 3:1 paint / water and still get a nice finish, if it'll go through the brush.
Now i need to get more of my Sombre Gray Vallejo because all these experiments have been taxing the supply.
I may be able to recover this model after all
Thanks for the help!
With Forgeword models I leave them overnight in some warm soapy water, then give them a scrub with an old toothbrush.
I had tried scrubbing them with watered down vinegar, but soapy water works much much better.
Because Forgeworld use rubber moulds, they have to use a release agent that doesn't like paint very much. The soapy water washes it off.