Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
This was my first time using pipe cleaner trees, flock, lichen, and 5-minute epoxy putty. Yes, I'm very new to scenery ;) Sorry about the lighting on the pictures, my usual setup wasn't very effective so I took it outside instead.
I think it's okay for a beginner piece but I've already found some things I'd like to try differently with the next piece. If you have some tips for improving or adding to what you see, please let me know! Almost everything I've done has been learned from reading forums and articles, so I look forward to any and all help you can offer. Thanks!
Very nice terrain piece you have made there... and all the stones are very nice... Only one concern though is that the base is a little above the surface making a little hole between the terrain piece and the table, if you know what I mean!
And the Marine is painted very nicely and originally! :yes:
Last edited by Tsele; July 2nd, 2007 at 11:32.
Thanks to all the people showing faith in me
I sometimes feel that everyone will leave me and they will be on their own...
I agree with Tsele, those are some nice trees mate. Lets brake it down a little shall we?
The trees themselves. You've done good here mate, they look nice and natural and random enough so that they don't look planned. You've used a good size for the foliage canopy as well; its just about the right size IMO.
The base. Good work here too, especially as you have kept it varied and interesting. It can be very temptng just to cover a base in glue and then with flock/static grass, but you've avoided that and gone for a more varied approach. Especially like the (what appear to be) sticks on the floor under the trees.
The marine. The old style 'one pose fits all' plastic marine. It brings back memories. I've got several of these bad boys knocking around somewhere, nice to see I'm not the only one.
Great work mate. I hope to see more of your work on LO in the future.
One way you can make the flock look more ingrown with the scenery is to you dirt also. Bas ethe entire thing with jsdirt and then paint the dirt up. After thats all dry add patcy areas of mixrd greens and clumps of bushes. This will give it a really real look. Good piece of scenery and keep on truck'in.
Thanks for the generous comments and advice! I'm not sure what caused the base to lift up like that; I used cardboard, which I know has a tendency to curl, but I figured using a few layers might alleviate that. At this point I'll either leave it as it is or use some of the 5-min epoxy and flock to clean up the edges. Any suggestions for better base material for the next time? I don't have much in the way of hardboard or actual wood on hand, though I would certainly have no problem going out and buying something that's relatively inexpensive.
The sticks and stuff under the trees is actually just scraps that fell out of my bag of lichen! I thought they looked pretty natural when I saw them laying there, so I brushed up a pile and glued them down as you see. I was thinking about putting more but I didn't know how much would be too much, so I let it go. Originally I was going to just do the base with sand (before I bought the flock), so everything was already covered in sand and washed dark brown. I left some it bare from flock for the dark earth, but using actual dirt sounds like a good idea! I'll try that on my next attempt.
As for the marine, yep, it's from the 2e box set :) Buddy of mine had a bunch of them lying around and I wanted to test out some highlight options for my Kroot, so I used him as a guinea pig.
Thanks again for all of your help!
what's happened is your different types / layers of cardboard have gotten waterlogged and they've curled in different directions. that's the problem with using corrugated cardboard, when it gets wet it goes in all sorts of directions. I'd use something like hardboard next time, get it in one big sheet (4x for a couple of bucks at a construction shop (home depot and the like)
Other then that, good use of lichen, good looking terrain overall. The trunks still look a little fuzzy, which was the big problem i had with this technique as well. I was using polyfill on top of pipe cleaners and it still ended up being a little fuzzy. I switched to using straight wire (telephone wire) and with the same technique exactly, was happier with the results. but it's really personal choice.
Good on ya for building terrain yourself! I can't stand seeing 40$ spent for a couple of trees.