Slash's Guide to Getting Your Rocks Off - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    One Vision, One Purpose! X-Slash-X's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x1)

Slash's Guide to Getting Your Rocks Off

Hey guys, how y'all doin?

Just thought I'd share with you how easy it is to make great looking Rock scenery. I had always thought making this kind of thing would be tough, involving foam and all these tools to get a mediocre looking piece of scenery. Then I realized, what's the closest thing to looking like a Real Rock? Of course! Why don't I use actual rocks?

EDIT: Tutorial is finally done!

So without further ado, may I present:

Slash's Guide to Getting Your Rocks Off

STEP ONE: TOOLS OF THE TRADE
    Okay. Heres where it all starts: The stuff you need to make some nice Scenery.
    You will need:

- A CD, or other suitable product for a Base.
    - A Piece of Cardboard, roughly 2cm on both the Length and Width.
    - A few large Rocks, preferrably textured enough to have some detail once painted.
    - Enough Sand to cover a CD.
    - PVA Glue, or another product for sticking Sand and Static Grass to the Base.
    - Super Glue, or any other Glue strong enough to stick a Rock to a CD.
    - An Old Paintbrush, to spread the Glue around the Base. Can be replaced with anything really.
    - Another Old Paintbrush, preferrably smaller. This will be used for ROUGH Drybrushing.
    - Chaos Black GW Primer Spray Can. Again, can be replaced with anything you want.
    - Scorched Brown, Bleached Bone and Skull White, or any other Variant of these colours. Whatever floats your boat.
    - GW Static Grass.
    - Optional: Something to File your Rocks down with.

STEP TWO: HITTING THE BASE
    I have chosen to use a CD for the base, as I have plenty of old Read-Only Discs with just crap on them. But if you have any other ideas, you can use whatever the hell you want.

Now, the middle of the CD has an annoying hole in it, doesn't it? This will surely cause problems, as it will be hard to stick the Rocks to something that is not there, correct? Not to worry, this is where your Cardboard comes into play.

Glue the Cardboard over the hole in the CD. You may need to hold it there awhile, as CD's aren't all that good at gripping Glue.

STEP THREE: PRIMING THE BASE
    Because of the aformentioned lack of Grip on a CD, you must somehow give it a texture for the Glue to stick to.
    The perfect solution? Prime it with Black Paint (Or whatever colour tickles your fancy). Remember not to sniff the fumes. Chroming is not a healthy passtime!

Now, you may have to let that sit for a good Half an Hour to make sure its all Dry, as CD's don't like paint sticking to them either.

STEP FOUR: YOUR READY TO ROCK!
    Now that your Base is nice and Black, it's time to put your Rocks to use.
    I have chosen Four relatively large rocks (To 40k at least. The biggest one is about 2.5 Space Marines tall). Make sure they look different to eachother in shape or texture, or it might look a bit boring in the end.

The Rocks I have picked all has at least one Semi-Flat surface. This is of the utmost importance! If your Rocks have no flat edge, you won't be able to stick them to the Base!
    Never fear though. If your Rocks are in agreeance, you can File one of the edges down to a more agreeable flatness. Any kind of file could be used on mine. I use a Nail File! Depends on the type of Rock, I guess.

Now after you've done the dirty business of gettting the Rocks into shape, it's time to stick them to the base. Get out your Superglue, and be ready to do a lot of patient holding of CD to Rock!

One Rock down, three to go.

Two Rocks on. These two seem to fit together when Glued down.

Number Three.

And so on....

STEP FIVE: I'VE GOT SAND IN MY CRACK!
    Okay, so you've stuck your Rocks down. "Whats Next Slash?" I hear you say.
    Alright then, I'll tell you. You must now apply your Sand to the Base.

Whip out your PVA or suitable Adhesive, and put a few Blobs on the CD.
    Now, get the Larger of your two (Preferrably Old) Paintbrushes, and spread the Glue around the base. Don't take too long though, you want it to still be sticky when you add the sand.
    Also, don't worry if you get Glue on the Rocks, it might add a bit more texture when you put the Sand on.

Now, carefully (Or messily if you want) add the Sand all over the base. Hell, you could even submerge the whole thing in the Sandpit if you want!
    Leave the sand on there for a good 5 minutes. Have a Coffee or something while you wait. When its been long enough for your liking, tip the excess sand off the Base.
    Now, if you want all that Sand to stay on the base, you sould perhaps leave it overnight. But if your like me, and can't be bothered waiting, proceed:
    Give the thing a good blow, to get the remaining excess off. Remember, deep breaths. I don't want to be held responsible for your passing out unconscious in the Sandpit.

Now your ready to continue.

STEP SIX: BACK IN BLACK
    Well, so you survived the Sandpit? Good, time to sniff some more Primer fumes.
    Get your Primer Can out again, and give the whole Base and Rocks a good spray, making sure you get in all the Nooks and Crannies.

This is your basecoat. While you Painting Pros will say "Give it another coat after priming, or it will chip n stuff". Blah! Its a Rock! It just adds to the effect!

STEP SEVEN: COLOURFUL LANGUAGE
    Now that the whole thing is Primed Black, it's time to make it look more real. Get our your Paints, it's time to get serious (Maybe).
    Paint the Base and Rocks in Scorched Brown (Or other dark earth tone). This will be the base to work upon for your Drybrushing later on.

It may look like Mars in this Picture, but I assure you it will be quite dark when it dries.

STEP EIGHT: WHY IS IT DRY?
    This is the fun part. While you paint, it WILL look messy. Don't worry, as the messier it looks, the more realistic it will be (Maybe....).
    Get your Bleached Bone (Or other) and start to Drybrush the Base, as well as the Rocks, Make sure as much detail as possible is brought out through the Drybrushing.
    If you miss a spot though, don't worry. You will be going over it again soon.
    Pop open your Pot of Skull White, and repeat the process again. Try to leave some areas with just Bleached Bone, to give some variance between Tan and White.

STEP NINE: TIME TO MOW THE LAWN
    Now, the Final Push. The Finale. ~Fin.
    Get out your PVA out again, or another Glue if you so desire. This is going to be used to stick your Static Grass down.
    Go Haywire! Put globs of Glue here, there, everywhere! Make patterns, Smilies, whatever you want.
    Before it dries, get your Static Grass and sprinkle it everywhere there is Glue. Like with the Sand, leave it there for a good five minutes. Have another Coffee.
    And again, just like the Sand, give it a blow to get rid of the excess, and viola! Heres Yo' Rocks!

Well, hope y'all liked it. Now I have more terrain to use, and you have the knowledge. Use it wisely.

X-Slash-X

Last edited by X-Slash-X; July 6th, 2007 at 06:50.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

zuz
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice! Really looking forward to a tutorial, all of my rock scenery has been wood chips so far and I like the ground level appearance of your second piece.
    ZuZ:
    2,500 points Empire
    1,300 points Dwarves
    500 points Cygnar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

So you used real rocks for your scenery?

I prefer to use styro-foam cut up, i would think that real rocks would weigh your scenery bases down a lot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

66 (x1)

That is correct. Real Rocks were used in the creation of this scenery.
    While they are considerably more heavy than Stryrofoam, it depends what rocks you get. The ones I have found are lighter than an average rock by about a third. They are also easily sanded down, allowing for an easier way to attach them to the base.

X-Slash-X

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    258 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by X-Slash-X View Post
    The ones I have found are lighter than an average rock by about a third.
    Heh heh heh... for some reason that sounds funny

The scenery looks good mate. I too use real rocks and stones (especially slate) in my scenery making and find they do the job admirably (apparently real rocks also make good fake rocks - who'd have thunk it!). I always paint over the rock as I find this helps give it the impression of scale alot better than if they are left unpainted.

Anyway, good work on the scenery there, looks very nice indeed. I look forward to reading your tutorial:yes:. If you'd like we can get the tutorial up on the front page as an LO mag article as well as on the forums, but thats up to you.

Cheers,
    Rich.

"Praise" for rp252:
    Da Mighty Camel:
    No, for your information, rp252 is lonely because he is hideous
    Jaffar_Hasad:
    Behind his ugly bloodthirster face, there's some wisdom stored away for moments like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

66 (x1)

Thanks dude. I'd be more than happy to have it up for all to see on the Frontpage. What format would you like it published in?

X-Slash-X

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    258 (x5)

Well, stick it onto word or a similar text editor and then two options:

1. I'll stick it up for consideration for the front page for you.
    2. You ask Blackhat for an Author account and then do it yourself

Its just a cut and paste job from word to the submission page then, nice and easy. Up to you how to proceed mate, just PM me if you want more info.

Cheers,
    Rich.

"Praise" for rp252:
    Da Mighty Camel:
    No, for your information, rp252 is lonely because he is hideous
    Jaffar_Hasad:
    Behind his ugly bloodthirster face, there's some wisdom stored away for moments like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

66 (x1)

Hey all. The Tutorial is up. Took me while to make it, and even longer to type it up.

X-Slash-X

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

an EXCELLENT use of your absolutely legal "back up" copy of your music.

Looks good, another fine example of how using things around you can go a long way. Good job.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Proud banner bearer of LO Codicier_Valkus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very well written and illustrated, very friendly but down to the points. You win some rep!
    "Fight for justice, not revenge."
    FoW Gepanzerte Panzergrenadiers who took a wrong turn at Tunisia and magically appeared in Normandy as Panzer Lehr: Wins: 11 Losses: 8

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast