Pinning Question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you find works best for pinning? I have been pinning pretty much straight in, but it occured to me that pinning at an angle could have advantages for certain models. Also, any tricks for lining up the holes? There has been a time or two that those darn holes are just a BIT off, or the angle is off...always something it seems.

Thoughts...

Ah, our brilliant President:

"Those who enter the country illegally violate the law." —George W. Bush, Tucson, Ariz., Nov. 28, 2005

"Wow! Brazil is big." —George W. Bush, after being shown a map of Brazil by Brazilian president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, Brasilia, Brazil, Nov. 6, 2005

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First make sure the joints fit together as closely as possible, trim and sand as necessary. While holding the two pieces together, draw four marks across the joint as evenly spaced around the perimeter of the joint as possible. This is a real pain to hold the parts and draw the lines at the same time. Either get some help, brace the pieces, or temporarily stick them together with rubber cement or blue-tac (sticky putty, poster putty).

Now take the pieces apart. Across the mating surface draw an ‘X’ connecting the four marks. It may not be an exact ‘X’ but should line up in the center (more or less) of the joint. Do the same on the other side. These two points will line up. Drill directly into each piece about ¼? inch depending on the mass of the piece.

Slide the wire into the hole and, using side-cutting pliers, snip it off with about ¼? sticking out. Make sure you test fit the pieces before gluing to ensure they fit completely together. Epoxy or superglue the joint and it will never fail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x3)

Make the parts fit to gather as previously stated. Then I put a small dab of dark paint on one part and press it together as if I were gluing it together. Then you have a dark spot where you need to drill your holes.
    -GM
    I put the Laughter back into Slaughter.
    Sons of Prometheus <click>
    Children of Murder <clic>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Abso-friggin-lutely brilliant&#33;&#33; And here I have been givin it a guestimate this whole time. Why didn&#39;t I think of that stuff? Ah well... Thank you for your responses, they will come in incredibly useful.
    Ah, our brilliant President:

"Those who enter the country illegally violate the law." —George W. Bush, Tucson, Ariz., Nov. 28, 2005

"Wow! Brazil is big." —George W. Bush, after being shown a map of Brazil by Brazilian president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, Brasilia, Brazil, Nov. 6, 2005

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Okay, I&#39;m very new to WHFB and have my first winged nightmare to assemble. Can someone explain the pinning process to me? From reading this forum andjust from guessing I have an idea. Is a nightmare or a dragon something I want to pin? Will superglue hold a nightmare together?
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

DavidVD4,
    Pinning is when you drill a small hole into the two pieces of a model where they join and insert a small metal post or wire (paperclips are good for this) in the hole so when you glue it together you&#39;ll have a much stronger joint. There are many people in LO who have vastly more experience in pinning than I do (Wolfraider is one of them so go visit his website ***was that a shameless plug or what?***) or search the topic in LO as I&#39;m sure there are many previous threads and/or tutorials on this subject. That said, I&#39;ve never worked on a nightmare before so I wouldn&#39;t want to comment but I have put together a chaos dragon before & highly recommend pinning the wings as they are placed awkwardly (chaotically?) on the main body & are just too damn heavy for superglue to hold it for long. Besides, superglue is very brittle & if you knock over your model it&#39;ll more than likely take the wing off (been there/done that). Hope this helps & good luck&#33;
    I hear voices...and they don't like you!

+ Reply to Thread