The Snow Panthers Chapter (custom) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Snow Panthers Chapter (custom)

This is the final design for my new Space Marine army's chapter name; symbol and armour colour scheme (although the cream will be a lot lighter and the panther symbol will be black) who have a homeland of an ice death world. Please feel free to add personal comments, views and opinions regarding this chapter as I can then start writing the founding story, chapter master info etc...)

Many thanks,

Linford

Last edited by Linford; July 13th, 2007 at 09:02.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I remember them. Good to see you went for the bone colour scheme, it will look very good when it is done. The chapter symbol looks good too. I suggest that you make sure that you can paint it before you commit to it. The most awful thing would be to find that you can't do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, again thank you for your previous help regarding my Space Marine chapter colour scheme topic. I am a free lance/contract fine artist so I should be able to do this (I will do a few test runs to be sure though), if not I will use the shoulder pad symbol green stuff stamp method which I have read about on this forum in the sculpting section I think... I will do all of the miniatures bases a dark urban grey (city fight) style with added Games Workshop snow fibres (as to symbolise their ice death world heraldry).

Will add photographs of the chapter’s first five man Assault Space Marine unit, wish me luck.

Linford

Wher dat naked blue chik? Jaffar_Hasad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    260 (x6)

I know it seems a bit like SW, but have you ever considered having panther pelts draped over their shoulders or something? They are from an ice world so it would fit nicely. Plus a black feline scarf would contrast nicely to the bleached bone. Not all models would need such GS work, but maybe on the champion or company master?

Other ideas that poped into my mind were changing cloth or paper into black fur. If you get bolters with the strap, greenstuff it to look like it was made from panther fur. Add a small piece to the purity seals and roughen it up to make panthery seals.

Looking forward to seeing some finished works. You might want a mod to move this to the painting projects section.
    Sleeping, not dead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Removed by the moderators.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for your suggestion Jaffar_Hasad, I was going to green stuff some fur items (pelts, drapes and cloaks for the sergeants of units etc...) but I did not want to over-do it as they will indeed look like different coloured Space Wolf's. I was going to paint this chapter slightly different to other marines in that in-between all the armour plate joints I will add an oily effect (sort of dripping mechanical oil) using watered down inks as to not look tacky (will should very well in contrast to the light cream armour colour). I am doing this as I feel many marine chapters look too pristine even though there running around a battle field, taking bullets and rolling about! Also they will have muddy feet and slight battle damage.

Wish me luck

Linford

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

judging from your colour scheme, you need to take a look at Kuffys Scions of Ra
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally wanted to remove myself from Kuffys Scions of Ra Space Marine armour painting as it is very pristine and defined. I wanted to create a sense of gritty, dark ad grimy war ridden marines who were actually in battle as apposed to just arriving. I will use the technique of refined controlled dry brushing (bleached bone) over previously painted dark brown (black undercoat first) for their armour. I will dry brush bleached bone a couple of times working my way up to a bleached bone/skull white 50/50% tone.

Either this or should I just keep to the traditional block armour painting for my chapter... I don’t want them to look tacky but I will be painting units at a time and I don’t want to be put-off and leave them. This army is also mainly for playing, but that doesn’t mean I don’t have high standards for my work.

Linford

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

Please may I attempt to dissuade you from using GW snow flock? It is genuinely awful.

If you are in the US, try to get hold of some Techstar snowf lock, it is (apparently) the dogs whatsits.
    If you aren't in the US, grab some Baking Soda, some PVA/white glue and a teeeny tiny dab of blue ink, and mix, then apply to taste.

Good luck!

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you minus_t for your suggestion, I will have to look into the PVA/baking soda technique for a realistic snow affect. But that still leaves me with the problem of 'should I dry brush my marines armour or block paint?

Wher dat naked blue chik? Jaffar_Hasad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

260 (x6)

I'd say go for drybrush. It's different and will make your marines look gritty.
    Sleeping, not dead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Removed by the moderators.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast