Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Even though I want to try a different kind of wire for my next trees, I still had some pipe cleaners that were already twisted into tree shape. Figuring I might as well finish what I'd started, I put these trees together. The first pair of pictures are of a tree the same size as my previous two; the second pair is of a rather larger one; the last two are just a slight zoom of the large tree's base and an overall shot of the foliage I've put together.
Comment & critique is welcome as always! I look forward to learning more from you and applying that information to my next batch of materials (hopefully including different wire, sturdier bases, and more varied ground cover).
ya know what? the "bushy" bark is kinda growing on me. you've really pulled off the effect as well as possible given the materials, and it looks good!
Kudos, you take the cake.
BTW i read an alternate method recently that covered the pipecleaner trunks in epoxy. seems a little overkill, but might be worth trying? I'm going to try dipping them in Varnish once i've got the basic tree shape done (i still have a ton of pipe cleaners from my failed attempt)
Looks good, tho im not a fan of using lichen as foliage material. Over time from handling and use, little bits will fall off here and there. Try using some clump foliage from woodland scenics, youd like the results.
If you want to avoid using pipe cleaners, you can just use groups of 22 ga. wire. Make 3-4 bunches from five or six 7" lenghts, Twist the botom thirds together into large trunks. Then twist them together to make one large base trunk. Then its just twisting the tops together to form branches and then trim with clippers to your desired height. Wrap it up with tape to hide the wire frame then use a little spackling compound to give a little texture, or other texturing method. Thats how I do mine anyway, you could give it a try.
Check out my terrain galleries
Thanks for the comments and advice!
king88mob, when you say epoxy, is that the standard two-part epoxy?
MrJuice, I did some googling for clump foliage and found a really nice tutorial for realistic trees (link). Until that point I was feeling satisfied with the lichen, but now I really feel like striving to reach the next level! Thank you also for the 22ga wire tips; I'll be looking for some to try out :)
yeah, or some other thick viscous glue that you had in your workshop. I was thinking of using caulking or something... we'll see. i'll post some photos when i'm done.
I like those trees! They have a surreal, bonsai-like feel to them. Very creative use of materials, I'm excited to see what you do with your next batch. Maybe try some without foliage, the look you have with those might be cool with bare branched dead trees too.
"Do not waste your tears, I was not born to watch the world grow dim. Life is not measured in years, but by the deeds of men."
I'am curently working on some trees using pipe cleaners as the trunks but with steel wool for the vegitation. You've got some mighty fine looking trees there sir, keep up the good work
Thanks for your comments and suggestions! The bare trees look decent, but a little too bare since I rely on the lichen's branching structure to fill out the body. The pipe cleaners themselves only account for the largest branches. I'm not sure what a good material for smaller branches would be; it would need to be something that could blend well with the pipe cleaners.
I look forward to seeing how the steel wool foliage turns out!