New Army Colour Scheme Advice? Pics inside - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

New Army Colour Scheme Advice? Pics inside

Need help with my colour scheme, I'm not really satisfied with it. I like the gold, and it will really go where it is, but I can't find a happy medium between using blue and using grey. When I use the grey on the gun, it looks really weird. But the blue is quite ugly.

Anyways, just base colours so far, no ink washes (I will be doing brown ink wash on the gold to antique it a LITTLE bit, even though it will remain largely that colour), and no highlighting on the gems yet.

Of course, it's based on ultra famous mobile suit, Hyaku Shiki!

Any ideas? I posted a thread about this earlier, but now that I actually have the colours on the model, it's a bit disatisfying, even though it's quite reminescent of the actual mobile suit.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x1)

Regarding the blue, have you tried mixing some straight blue into shadow gray? I'm not too fond of the color scheme as a whole, but thats purely a personal thing, not into anime. I personally would spray those with testors dull cote, to kill that blinding shine, but maybe you are aiming for it. Remember, what may look cool on something may not translate well onto a mini... as i have learned while painting my Judge Dredd mini :cry:

~Legionnaire
    "In dedicato imperatum ultra articulo mortis"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

I, personally, think gold is a color that should be used sparingly on details. I do agree, mix the Blue with Shadow Grey and see what you get.

-J

I'm back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You posed your models pretty well. Unfortunately they look terrible in gold paint.

You should consider yellow.

Woof! Woof! Bark! Bark!!! aeroplane's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    569 (x7)

Do some work on the bases - the model will look much better with a dark, finished base. Then decide if you do or do not like the gold.
    My insanely large Chaos Marine Army - look

Thier commander's motto-listen

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm OK with the gold as main colour. The others are onto something about dulling it down though. It can be done without compromising your original concept. I think you may need to stay quite dark with the blue that you use, maybe even purple. If you have a pot of citadel's Nauseating Blue still, that might be ideal. The bases will have to be dark as well. Perhaps on urban rubble.

Keep going with it. It will turn out.
    "Sometimes I wonder why I still live amongst the humans." -
    Kieran

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Bases are still not painted, just black so I can tell the contrast better. I'm debating between painting it with mosaic tile base or just plain asphalt battle base, as some of my larger bases have broken roman columns on them.

Dear All Concerned... yourtimehascome's Avatar
    I am everywhere and nowhere, sometimes at the same time.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

Dear All Concerned,

Wow, these look much better than the first ones!

For your bases, I sanded some areas and left some unsanded. Then, once primed black, the sand was drybrushed gray and the unsanded area was painted to look like road. If you need pictues, plesae PM me.

Hope this helped!

-YTHC
    Fluff Master

You are not your avatar. You are not your knowledge of the rules or your last article. You are not your post count. You are not your rep. You are not your title. You are not your blog. You are not your painting or modeling skills. You are not your location, rating, profile comments, friends or armies. You are not your signature.

is Alpharius FabricatorGeneralMike's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x2)

EXCELLENT choice in mobile suits. (UC All the way =o]) The second pic's look much better then the first set does.

The black bases alone take away from the 'gold overload'. And the weapons look much better then they did blue.

The red is a nice contrast to the gold (altho it gives me nightmares. I think back to when GW painted all their weapon casings red. Shutters) altho I would make the red a little more dull and not highlight it to much.

The bases as said before should be painted rather dark. Remember a base adds to the model not the other way around. If you want the urban rubble look, maybe just go with what you got with some sand on the base to break it up. Also you could add a broken *Fill in the blank* to break up the base.

Really nice concept you have here. UC Gundam rules :yes:
    FluffMaster on a mission to turn people to the Sisters of battle, yes folks it's all about SoB squads in Repressors with lots of flamer templates for the win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Considering using this style as a "tiled" base, and then putting a shine on it.
    [img]
    http://felamy.com/files/damier%20agenda.jpg[/img]

Either that OR I will just make it normal asphalt black-drybrushgrey-white city scape scene.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast