Tyranid Conversion - Need Input. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyranid Conversion - Need Input.

Let's be honest here: I am a conversion noob. The biggest thing I've done is a few weapon swaps, and my experience with greenstuff is minimal at best. A couple of months ago I, in all my idiotic glory, decided to try something bigger as well as begin using greenstuff. The problem? It's a Carnifex, and it's way too big.

Now, don't get me wrong... I'm not saying I'm in over my head. Not at all. I'm a pretty decent sculptor and I'm quite a creative guy. What I am saying, though, is that the creature is large enough that I'm not quite sure where to begin. I have one of his weapons done and I've welded on a big piece of carapace, shown here:

Past this, however, I'm stuck. I think it's because I had I planned on working out the Venom Cannon next, but I'm not quite sure where I should go with it. I want it back mounted, for sure, but I'm not quite sure what I should do with the design. I want to make it similar enough that it looks right when placed next to the Barbed Strangler, but different enough that it's impossible to mistake it for anything but a Venom Cannon.

I'm also not quite sure what to do with the carapace, as I'd planned on covering this guy in a decent amount of armor, but I don't quite have that many bits. I've basically got Extended Carapace bits from all the main Tyranid units (Warrior, Gaunt, Genestealer, Carni), as well as some Warrior heads, and a few Carnifex back plates. Do you think, perhaps, that the Warrior heads would look alright as tail armor (near the tip, I mean. I plan on making a sort of claw-like structure at the end)?

For an idea of what I'm going for with this conversion, take a look at Poptartsninja's "Bombard 'Fex" found here at LO and the "Fexocrine" found on Hive Fleet Moloch. I feel in love with these concepts as I've always imagined the Carnifex as more of a tank or artillery piece, slowly plodding across the battlefield under the weight of his massive weapons.

Last edited by Hunter Killer; July 16th, 2007 at 09:38.
    "They are coming! I feel them scratching inside my mind. Scratching, screaming, roaring, so many - so, so many voices. They're coming for us - flesh and blood, body and soul"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ Hive Fleet Minotaur ~

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

Definelty go with the exorcine approach, it's one of those critters we would like to have back in our swarms to rain death upon our foes at range.
    The weapon looks big enough for it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Yes the Exocrine look is good. To do that the best way is to mount the weapon on the back between the two funnels. You need only add the weapon barrel. then you can add more to taste. Green stuff sculpted into carapace growing over the rear of the weapon will help to blend it with the Carnifex's body. Look at the tubes etc from all you Tyranid spare parts. these things can be great to add as extra details.

To make that venom cannon unique try spikes. The Tyranid range is full of little spikes that you can cut off and glue to the gun-barrel of the venom cannon. You could apply these spikes in straight lines along the length of the weapon or in a more random pattern like thorns. Either way the thorny, spiky and generally painful look of the venom cannon will mark it out as something else, not just another big Tyranid weapon symbiote like the barbed strangler.

To work with green stuff bette if you don't know make sure your tools are wet. Use water not saliva and don't lick the tools, a very nasty stomach ache can result. You can also practice getting better with green stuff by playing with kids play-putty. Beware it can be oily and oil plus mini plus paint equals disaster, never let it touch our Carnifex and wash all tools well. Usefull though to test out possible shapes of bio-parts for Tyranids that you have in your head.

For the head, pick the coolest one. To get enhanced senses do some more sniffing around Hive fleet moloch. They have a Nidzilla swarm where the Carnifex's and Hive tyrants are using custom built bio-targeters. These could work easily on your Carnifex. They are really easy to make being made of the ball joints of other Tyranid models.

More carapace. Using parts like Tyranid warrior heads is good. They can be reversed to become gauntlets for any arms or whatever it may have. Or simply guard plate for it's limbs. I also suggest that you put some green stuff beneath it's feet to make it a little taller. When people see it, especially beside another slightly shorter Carnifex they will be convinced it is bigger and as such find all the biomorphs to beef it up (that you will be claiming it has) these biomorphs will be far more convincing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was hoping our resident 'Nids master would reply. Thanks, Leech. Thanks for your reply as well, Dreachon.

I think you guys kind of misunderstood that last bit in my post. I wasn't asking which look I should go for, I was saying that I'm attempting a sort of blend. I like the armor of the Fexocrine and the artillery style back claw, but I also want to have two distinctly separate weapons mounted on it's back (one for each side). Imagine two of the Bombard Carnifex's guns surrounded by the Fexocrine armor with that cool back claw. I am, for certain, going to add a few of my own ideas, but that's the general plan.

I like your idea of using something other than the standard Enhanced Senses head, Leech. I don't think I'm going to use a bio-targeter, though. Perhaps a forked tongue or a longer set of antennae. Maybe I could just use the regular style Enhanced Senses head, but add armor the tongue/antennae idea? Things to think about, and I'll definitely look around.

Speaking of biomorphs, I plan on giving this thing all the toughness upgrades except Regeneration. He's also getting Flesh Hooks, just because. I'm of the opinion that cheaper is usually better, but the toughness upgrades give me an excuse to make him huge and armored. Regeneration doesn't say 'make me bigger' like the other ones do, so it's out (Never seems to work for me anyway...).

New pictures once I get something worthwhile done. Should be another day or three. I'm waiting for some greenstuff to dry at the moment so I can start working some more. I think I'll do the lower half of the body and work my way up, maybe stopping along the way if a really good Venom Cannon configuration pops into my head.
    "They are coming! I feel them scratching inside my mind. Scratching, screaming, roaring, so many - so, so many voices. They're coming for us - flesh and blood, body and soul"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ Hive Fleet Minotaur ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could grenstuff the side carapace chutes each into a gun, that way one would be over each shoulder broadside like...Which as much of a "tank" as these creatures are..They do act alot like the mobile Artillery of the Tau.

+ Reply to Thread