Old Beastman - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Old Beastman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

Old Beastman

hi guys decided to post this because i can only get comments to get me to paint better and yes i know the camera is horrible but these are quite good compared to normal shots by it.
    the undercoat was white (a first for me )
    the legs were drybrushed up from bestial brown to a mix of 50:50 scorched brown and skull white, the body was base coated red gore and then washed with a darker red mix and then a dwarf flesh wash. the axe was painted boltgun and then i tried to blend it (unsuccessfully). um i used a little yellow to add a bit of a tarnished effect on the axe it didnt really work (should of blended it). well enough of me rambling on heres the pics

So what do you think any comments to help me paint better
    BTW any good tips on painting freehand as i have a LOTR high elf i wanna try to do some freehand on his cloak on.

Miss Spam Master 2009
    The Briny Series: Urban War Beginnings | Cygnar
    Thrallstudios

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

While not a master painter myself, I've certainly done my fair share, and I think I've got a couple tips here based off those pics.

First, and I realize that this might just be due to the picture quality, but color considerations: Now, the model itself really isn't that great. There's just not a ton of well defined detail here in the sculpt, so there needs to be something that makes this figure punch the visual senses. As the little fella stands now, I'd consider these base coats. There really needs to be something going on with color to make it interesting and more finished looking. My army for another game has a lot of minotaurs and beastmen types of models, and to make them stand out, I find it's a good idea to make the horns pop a little. Use a skull white, or bleached bone kind of color on there to lighten them up, and then dirty them slightly with a dark brown/black wash which will settle into the low points. That makes for a real good looking horn.

Then you could brighten up a couple other small details. Like those bracelets look like they should be metal to me, so I'd have those either a nice bronze or silver dirtied up like you did with the ax. The face could also use a little work. I can't really tell from the dark pics but either his snout needs to be the flesh color, while the rest of his face could be fur colored, or his whole face could be flesh tonned, and then have his snout a slightly lighter color, or black (consider what a cow looks like, or reference some minotaur fantasy art). And I know how hard it is, but try and paint those eyes. A little white eyeball with a black dot on it goes a long way in adding to the detail of the figure. Oh, and one last thing on color, his calves (and I'm talking about his legs, not his kids) should be flesh color, too; and since it looks like you are going to a nice reddened skin, that's what I'd do there as well.

I'm guessing this guy is actually a lot more matte looking than in the pics, which would really be my only other major concern. Fur ain't shiny unless it's wet ...

And I know you criticized yourself on that ax, but I really think that's the best part of the model. Dirty, rusty metal does some strange things, and whatever you did there looks really nice. Good work!

So think about color and touch this man up
    Last edited by Dave the Barbarian; July 17th, 2007 at 20:33.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

ok will try to clean it up slightly . i knew the face needed something just not what and i think you hit it on the idea on the nail and i tried the horns but thought they needed to be darker too and the sculpt of this model is pretty bad it has not much detail at all
    Miss Spam Master 2009
    The Briny Series: Urban War Beginnings | Cygnar
    Thrallstudios

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

I agree with everything Dave said. It's a good looking model but it's in desperate need of a dark wash and a light drybrush IMO.
    I hear voices...and they don't like you!

+ Reply to Thread