Doomtrain - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doomtrain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x5)

So i got this new DVD player formeh gran' an'inside th' box there were these lil' styrofoam...thing..an' when i saw 'em i was suddenly stricken with the incredible urge to turn the things into futuristic lookin train cars..so i spend about a week paintin an' cuttin an hot gluein' stuff together an' i ended up with this thing tha' lookes like one'a those armoured Nazi trains from ww2 only all futuristic an spiffy..so now i have an armoured train..but i have no idea what type of scenario i could actualy use it on..am igonna hafta make up a "protect the convoy" type mission or is there already one i overlooked? NOw i know fluffwise a train would be of little importance to armies that speed around in starships and blow up planets..but i figure i could say it's got sometop secret artifact they're trasnporting by train to keep things quiet..

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    293 (x5)

It strikes me that an armoured train would be an excellent weapons platform for an anti-orbital defence gun or missile system. Think about it. You have the threat of unfriendly xenos closing on your planet and coming to low orbit so they can accurately drop bombs/squirt nasty stuff at your cities. Rather than have only fixed batteries of anti-spacecraft weapons, which would have to be massively dug-in; why not deploy some on mobile platforms?

Mobile weapons on rails could dodge incoming fire to an extent, and could redeploy to anticipate/chase orbiting craft. Presuambly the rails would be laid along latitudinal lines, i.e. East to West.

Modern day exemplars would include the massive (railbourne&#33 so-called Paris artillery guns of WW1 and WW2, which fired shells out of the atmosphere and the Soviet A-350 (ABM-1 Galosh) exoatmospheric interceptor missile system.
    Ryan Dancey, Vice President of Wizards of the Coast, believed that TSR failed because of "...a near total inability to listen to its customers, hear what they were saying, and make changes to make those customers happy." Are you listening, Games Workshop ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x5)

well one'a the cars has a big gun turret on top.. :blink:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    293 (x5)

Well, as long as the gun barrel can point straight up, theres your fluff! :rolleyes:

And of course, rather than try to zap it from orbit, an invading force would have to beam down/drop pod/mycetic thing down to the trackside and try and assault it from the ground.

Except of course the train guards(?&#33 wouldn&#39;t have that... <:>

Any chance of a photo of your train Edicius?
    Ryan Dancey, Vice President of Wizards of the Coast, believed that TSR failed because of "...a near total inability to listen to its customers, hear what they were saying, and make changes to make those customers happy." Are you listening, Games Workshop ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very cool idea&#33; I have come up with a scenario:

Forces
    Both sides use the normal force organisation table, excepth there is no limit on fast attack

Objective
    The attackers must stop the train leaving the table past there depoyment zone. The defenders must pave the way for the train to escape

Rules
    The train starts in the defenders deployment zone. Defending troops may be deployed on the train, and can jump off at any time. The only troops that can get onto the train (with out being deployed on it) are troops with jumpacks, or troops which could otherwise fly. The train has 5 segments, each which count as a seperate &#39;tank&#39; with an armour value of 13 all around. The only exception to this is the rear of the current &#39;end&#39; train which has armour value 10. The train moves 9&#39;&#39; forward every turn. Any unit (even friendly) which it moves into counts as being tankshocked, with a -2 LD (Its really scary and big). If the train is immobilished or stunned, or shaken, ignore the results (Its got alot of crew to sort out these minor problems). If a section is destroyed, remove it from the game.

Victory Conditions
    The defenders win a major victory if the train moves of the enermys table edge unharmed (no sections are destroyed). The defenders win a minor victory if 3or more of the train sections escape. The atackers win a major victory if all of the sections are destroyed, and a minor victory if they destory 3 or more carriges.

Bigger Battles
    One extra carridge should be added for each 500 points you add. (Assume this scenario is 1500) Carridges should also be added for each 12&#39;&#39; of talble lenth after 48&#39;&#39;
    A Promise to a dead man means nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

293 (x5)

Sounds good. I think we have to assume the rails/track the train moves along are fairly indestructible, something like a maglev rail buried under concrete. Otherwise it could be a case of &#39;destroy the rails ahead of the train, when it stops, blow the rails behind it - trapped&#33;&#39;. Like the SOE/European resistance movements during WWII. The train must keep moving, except under extreme circumstances, like parking a Land Raider or Monolith on the tracks. Any carriage that is disrupted can be jettisoned, but that also loses any other carriages further behind. The object is to distroy the weapons platform carriages.

Looking cool&#33; In fact, I hear the Fonz is coming back out of retirement just to read this thread... 8|

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about it just smashes aside the said objects?&#33; Also it wouldent have a track, just float about with anti grav tech.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

293 (x5)

I think it ought to have some kind of linear track, albeit indestructible. It is in the format of a train after all. If it could move in the second dimension it may as well be square for stability.

I thought that anything less massive than a &#39;Lith or a Raider would be crunched, but there ought to be some consideration for really tough obstacles. Obviously any rocks/trees would have been cleared from the trackside long since so they could not be dropped onto the track by sabotage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah yes i suppose a track is needed. What about magno guiding stations, small squares that attract the train towards them. I say if a monitliths in the way, then it takes a str. 8 hit, and if it survives, it takes a str. 8 hit every turn while its there (a big train forcing into it hurts)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

293 (x5)

Sure, I didn&#39;t mean to suggest that an obstacle wouldn&#39;t take a smacking. I think a big hit (Str 8 / some thing on the ordnance table) to represent the initial impact, and from then on two glancing hits per turn as it is pushed along or whatever.

Perhaps a trial of strength so the obstacle slows the train by D6, and the obstacle is pushed aside on a 4+.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast