newbie needs help w/ 1st list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

newbie needs help w/ 1st list

Hello everyone I am looking for some help here. I just finished painting my army and i would like some input as to the list I have come up with. I know some of you will frown on the fact that I took carapace and the Vox but i like it for fluff. So please don't be to harsh as i am just starting out Thanks in advance!

66Th Vostroyans

Carapace, Iron Discp, Grenadiers, Veterans

Command HQ-
    Jr Officer w/HOI, Power Weapon,ID
    Vet Standard Bearer CCW, Flamer, Flamer, Vox

Alpha Platoon

Jr. Officer – Iron Discipline,Power Weapon

Vox, Las Cannon, Plasma

Squad A1

Sgt, Heavy Bolter, Grenade Launcher, 6 Troops

Squad A2

Grenadiers

Vet Sgt, Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol

Plasma, Plasma, 6 Troops

Elites: Hardened Vets #1-

Vet Sgt, Plasma Pistol, Power Weapon

Melta, (2) Plasma, 6 Troops

Elites: Hardened Vets #2-

Melta, (2) Plasma, 6 Troops

Heavy Support- Looking for best bang for my buck here have five choices to get my 3.

Demolisher/Hull Las & Hvy Blt spon) (x-Armor)
    Basilisk (Indirect fire)
    Griffon
    Exterminator (x-Armor) (Hull Bolter, Hvy Blt Spon)
    Leman Russ (Storm Bolter Pintel, Hvy Blt Spon, H/Las, x-Armor)

Fast Attack-

Hellhound – (Rough Terrain, Armor)

Chimera's- (I plan on mounting my Gren and Vets in these)

100- Pintle SB, Armor
    110- Pintle SB, Track Guards, Armor

Support Squads

Sentinel Squad – Las Cannon

Made the suggested changes and added another Vet Sqd as I forgot to add it last time, switched out weapons with HQ, not sure of the Master vox is it worth it? As for the Hvy Support I have 5 models so that gives me the abilty to swap out depending what I am up against.

Last edited by Colt3840; July 26th, 2007 at 12:00.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-You might want to have a look at the standard force organization chart. You are allowed 3 heavy support, and you have 5.
    -I am assuming "armour" means you have taken the extra armour upgrade, good choice.
    -How did you get storm bolters on the sponson of a leman russ? The storm bolter is available for a pintle mount, but if you are going to put a weapon there than make it the heavy stubber.
    -Do you not have iron discipline on your HQ, i only see it listed on the platoon commander.
    -You only have 1 veteran squad, which you are allowed to take without the doctrine.
    -The HQ squad has mismatched upgrades that won't work together
    -Melta guns and flamers have totally different tasks and will not work together
    -Although you dont have it listed I am assuming that the HQ has a master vox, if so than this squad will avoid line of sight at all times, as it's roll is to provide ld and not get killed, not very good for the melta gun or the flamer.
    -Give the grenadiers 2 of the same weapon for maximum effectiveness.\
    -dont put sentinels with different weapons in the same squad, split the squad and keep weapons of the same type together.

Basically, choose a roll that every squad is supposed to play, kit them out with everything they need to do it and don't waste points on anything unneeded.

edit the list and i will comment more later
    what do you call a lasgun with a laser sight?

twin linked

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid_IBM View Post
    -You might want to have a look at the standard force organization chart. You are allowed 3 heavy support, and you have 5.
    -I am assuming "armour" means you have taken the extra armour upgrade, good choice.
    -How did you get storm bolters on the sponson of a leman russ? The storm bolter is available for a pintle mount, but if you are going to put a weapon there than make it the heavy stubber.
    -Do you not have iron discipline on your HQ, i only see it listed on the platoon commander.
    -You only have 1 veteran squad, which you are allowed to take without the doctrine.
    -The HQ squad has mismatched upgrades that won't work together
    -Melta guns and flamers have totally different tasks and will not work together
    -Although you dont have it listed I am assuming that the HQ has a master vox, if so than this squad will avoid line of sight at all times, as it's roll is to provide ld and not get killed, not very good for the melta gun or the flamer.
    -Give the grenadiers 2 of the same weapon for maximum effectiveness.\
    -dont put sentinels with different weapons in the same squad, split the squad and keep weapons of the same type together.

Basically, choose a roll that every squad is supposed to play, kit them out with everything they need to do it and don't waste points on anything unneeded.

edit the list and i will comment more later
    Ok made some changes as you recomended. Thanks for the input :yes:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read through again and have some more:
    -I missed this the first time, but you seem to have missed the point of vox. The purpose is to have a master vox in the HQ and vox casters in all of your troop squads so that all your troops get the same ld as your HQ. I only see vox casters in command squads here.
    -the HQ looks better, but vox and flamer dont really go together when it comes to the HQ. The vox sits back and stays alive while flamers are really meant for a kamikazee.
    -why do you have your chimeras listed as fast attack? They don't take up any slots as they are attatched to the unit they carry.
    -I didn't mean get rid of the multilaser sentinels, just split them away from the lascannon sentinels. Remember that you can take a sentinel squad as a support squad for the HQ as well as fill up fast attack with them.
    -The vets are taking mixed weapons, not a good thing. If you make 1 squad have 3 melta, and the other 3 plasma that would work, but dont mix within squads. If you like veterans with 3 special weapons that consider drop troops for a doctrine. It's really nasty when a minimum size vet squad with 3 meltas deep strikes behind an enemy tank worth more than 2x the squad that killed it.

That's all for now

twin linked

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, did a revision. I removed the Vox's as I only have two. Have flamers in Command HQ to fend off any deep striking by other armies. What do you think about swaping these out with 3 Grenande Launchers? I want to keep this unit hidden but within 12" of my troops. Also combined the specail weapons on the vets so they are the same was short a Melta so will need to convertanother flamer to Melta. Now i just need to figure out the points again...

Thanks Again

66Th Vostroyans

Command HQ-
    Vet Standard Bearer CCW, Flamer, Flamer, Trooper

Alpha Platoon

Trooper, Las Cannon, Plasma

Squad A1

Squad A2

Grenadiers

Plasma, Plasma, 6 Troops

Elites: Hardened Vets #1 W/Chimera-

2 Melta, Plasma 6 Troops

Chimera-Pintle SB, Armor

Elites: Hardened Vets #2 W/Chimera-

(3) Plasma, 6 Troops

Chimera- Pintle SB, Track Guards, Armor

Heavy Support- Looking for best bang for my buck here have five choices to get my 3.

Basilisk (Indirect fire)
    Griffon

Fast Attack-

Support Squads

Sentinel Squad (3)– Las Cannon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Colt3840 View Post
    Ok, did a revision. I removed the Vox's as I only have two. Have flamers in Command HQ to fend off any deep striking by other armies. What do you think about swaping these out with 3 Grenande Launchers? I want to keep this unit hidden but within 12" of my troops. Also combined the specail weapons on the vets so they are the same was short a Melta so will need to convertanother flamer to Melta. Now i just need to figure out the points again...

Thanks Again

66Th Vostroyans

Command HQ-
    Vet Standard Bearer CCW, Flamer, Flamer, Trooper

Alpha Platoon

Trooper, Las Cannon, Plasma

Squad A1

Squad A2

Grenadiers

Plasma, Plasma, 6 Troops

Elites: Hardened Vets #1 W/Chimera-

2 Melta, Plasma 6 Troops

Chimera-Pintle SB, Armor

Elites: Hardened Vets #2 W/Chimera-

(3) Plasma, 6 Troops

Chimera- Pintle SB, Track Guards, Armor

Basilisk (Indirect fire)
    Griffon

Fast Attack-

Support Squads

Sentinel Squad (3)– Las Cannon
    OK some points.

Exterminators and Griffons are available in Armoured Company lists only - it's not to say you can't use them in friendlies etc. but they are not "rules legal" for ordinary IG army lists (rats!)

Overall it seems very light on bodies and even lighter on heavy weapons.

The lone lascannon in the platoon HQ is a fire magnet, lascannons work better in line squads or as HW AT squads (and then it's usually best to take 2 squads I reckon to split enemy fire)

LR are generally best with H/Bolters all round for anti-infantry work.

Split the sentinels up organisation-wise so you can have 3 squadrons of 1, (2 in FA and 1 in HQ) keep them all armed the same, and operating together, but it makes three targets.

Track guards and rough terrain mods probably aren't worth it.

Guard armies, even ones using lots of bells and whistles still need bodies and guns.
    Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They HQ would still be better off with longer range weapons than flamers. I would suggest either a heavy weapon or grenade launchers.
    Always take smoke launchers
    Points total?
    Melta vet squad needs to be 3 meltas, not 2 melta and plasma. Mix and match doesnt work with guard. Its more of a space marine thing.
    As for the legallity of tanks, are the imperial armour codexs not legal for standard games?
    As for which one is best, it really depends on what you are facing.
    For Tau and Eldar, use the griffon for sure. Str to wound on a 2+ and cause instant death, AP not great, but good enough for troop smashing.
    For anything with a 3+ save, the basilisk and leman russ are the best. They even instant kill T4 heros.
    The exterminator is great for swarm smashing. It gets 11 shots and can reasonably expect 6 hits per turn, because the autocannon is twin linked. Thats more hits than an ordinance blast should expect to get, and there is enough str and AP to take care of most swarm units.
    The demolisher is the best anti necron we have, as it makes short work of any monolith. It also knackers anything with a 2+ save quite nicely. Whats that, you paid over 40 points on each of those terminators with thier cool upgrades? Well time for them to get squished.

twin linked

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid_IBM View Post
    As for the legallity of tanks, are the imperial armour codexs not legal for standard games?
    I think they probably are if you have the IA books and your opponent agrees, but I doubt they'd be accepted in a tourney or most stores to be honest?

The same applies to the more widely available Armoured Company lists you can download for free from GW.

But the point about those lists is you have to play one or the other - i.e. if you want Griffons and Exterminators you have to play Armoured Company you can't take vehicles from one list and substitute them in another list.

Well actually you can because amongst friends who agree you can do anything you damn well like and good luck to you if it makes the game enjoyable. :yes:

The only issue wuld be play balance.

I'd suggest as a compromise using a separate doctrine point to take each variety of AFV beyond the standard so your infantry list gets quite restricted as a consequence which should keep things fair?
    Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

+ Reply to Thread