1500 Pt Drop Troops - Pls Critique! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 Pt Drop Troops - Pls Critique!

First solid drop troop list - pls feel free to rip apart - I need the help here as I want to have this be my tourney list. I'll mod as necessary depending on missions.

Doctrines:
    Sharp Shooters
    Close Order
    Drop Troops

HQ, Staff & Heavy Support:

JO Honorifica, PW, Bolt Pistol
    Master Vox
    Plasma
    Las Cannon Squad
    Auto Cannon X3 Squads
    Commissar, PW

Troops:

1st Platoon Comm Sq.

JO, PW, Bolt Pistol
    Veteran
    Plasma
    H Bolter, Sharp Shooters
    Commissar, PW

1st Platoon Squad 1
    SGT, Grenade, Vox, Missile Team, 6 Guardsmen
    1st Platoon Squad 2
    SGT, Grenade, Vox, Missile Team, 6 Guardsmen

2nd Platoon Comm. Sq. Deep Strike

JO, PW, Bolt Pistol
    Veteran
    Melta
    H Bolter, Sharp Shooters
    Commissar, PW

2nd Platoon Squad 1
    SGT, Grenade, Vox, H Bolter, 6 Guardsmen
    1st Platoon Squad 2
    SGT, Grenade, Vox, H Bolter, 6 Guardsmen

Elites: Deep Strike
    Vet Sgt., Bolt Pistol, PW
    HVets X6
    -3 meltas
    -Las Cannon Squad (2 vets)

Fast Attack:
    2x Sentinels, AC, Extra Armor (1 - Deep Strike)
    (only one Deep Strikes)

Heavy Support:
    2x Leman Russ, Las Cannon, H Bolter Sponsons, Smoke, Extra Armor

Total : 1495

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Doctrines:
    Get Iron Discipline for all 3 officers as it is so cheap as to be almost mandatory. Only use sharp shooters on 3xLas cannon support squads or maybe 3xAC. On anything else it is a waste of points. Statistically you can achieve more by spending the points on more chaps.

HQ:
    Too expensive, Drop the commissar as he doesn't work through the vox. Get a standard instead. I would use this squad as a leadereship bubble generator with maybe a mortar to contribute from behind a hill.

Troops:
    Loose sharp shooters. Drop commissars. Get missile launchers for flexibility and I prefer plasmaguns. Meltas are ok if you are deepstriking the units but then you should have dropped the heavy weapons if you were dropping in with regular platoon squads.

Veterans:
    If deep striking just use 5-6 man units with 3 meltas or 3 plasma. Honnestly the turn after you arrive you will have been shot to pieces so the las cannon is wasted. 5 man units with 3 meltas and a bolt pistol on the sarge are the best for 76 points. You can use the veterans doctrine to get more of these units.
    The other Veteran unit that I like is 8-10 men with 1 bolter, 3 plasma, Las cannnon and infiltrate them into cover. The plasma guns have the range to help out the lascannon and the cover save heeps them alive for a while. Cameleoline can be useful here.

Sentinels:
    Should be Las cannon, always.

Tanks:
    Drop the Las cannon for H Bolters. If you want more Las Cannon get an extra sentinel or start upgrading the troops squads to Las cannon.

Points you have saved from above can be spent on more Vet units, special weapon squads (but it uses another doctrine) or improving the platoons to all ML/PG.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I agree with Mad Cat on numerous points, such as doctrines, dropping commissars for your kind of army and resupplying your weapon caches heh. If you aren't a fan of missile launchers, you could still split between lascannons and autocannons for fire support, since heavy bolters will just get you so far. Gearing up on plasma is also a good idea, though grenade launchers can still give you bang for your buck. Russes with armour and smoke make for excellent support and with the points you could save you might be able to soup-up your veterans into a strong fire force. Consider using Close-Order Drill even with Drop Troops, it's a freebie doctrine that yields impressive results!
    What do Khorne Berzerkers say to Necrons after chopping some of their bits off? "BLOOD FOR... Eh? Come on! You just take the fun out of it... Scream! Yell! Awww... not even a trace of guts..." *sniffles and kicks dirt*

"You can go far with a smile. You can go even further with a smile and a gun"

Hellhounds are good tanks Dakka,Dakka,Dakka's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

Drop the Master Vox! either use your offficers leadership bubbles or buy 4 veteran sergents combined with close order drill to give you ld-9 infantry squads with a extra bolter for 28pts vs master vox and 4 vox casters for 40pts it increases your leadership to the same level as the master vox(commisar's +1 doesnt go through the vox) and you get a boltgun and a extra attack in close combat(who cares its guard it doesnt close combat lol) and it is 3/4 the price

sentinels- autocannons are okay but how bout 1 autocannon sentinel and 1 lascannon sentinel because it will make them always destroy something with 3 shots(if you hit with 3), also make the sentinels 2 seperate squads because it is a squadron and damage rusults go throuought the squadron(ex opponent gets 1 wpn destroyed, 1 destroyed and 1 immobalized so now you have 1 dead sentinel and 1 useless one..........but if in 2 seperate squads then you just have 1 dead and 1 fine one)

drop lascannons on tanks add either 1 hull heavybolter and go cheap(i usually do and just use the ordanance wpn)or take 2x side sponson heavybolters and a hull heavybolter(in case you get a weapon destroyed result)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks so much for replies!

New List:

Doctrines:

Iron Discipline / Close Order Drill / Drop Troops / Veterans / Sharp Shooters

HQ

JO + PWR WPN + BOLT PISTOL + HONORIFICA
    - VETERAN + STANDARD
    - VETERAN + BOLTER
    - LASCANNON SQUAD + SS

HQ HEAVY SUPPORT

3X AUTO CANNON SQUADS + SS

TROOPS

1ST PLATOON

JO + BOLTER + IRON DISCIPLINE
    - VETERAN + BOLTER
    - GRENADE LAUNCHER
    - LASCANNON SQUAD + SS

VET SGT + BOLTER + IRON DISCIPLINE
    GRENADE LAUNCHER
    MISSILE TEAM
    6 GUARDSMEN + LASGUNS

VET SGT + BOLTER + IRON DISCIPLINE
    GRENADE LAUNCHER
    MISSILE TEAM
    6X GUARDSMEN + LASGUNS

2ND PLATOON / DEEP STRIKE

JO + BOLTER + IRON DISCIPLINE
    VETERAN + BOLTER
    3X PLASMA

VETERAN SGT + BOLTER + IRON DISCIPLINE
    1X PLASMA
    8X GUARDSMEN + LASGUNS

VETERAN SGT + BOLTER + IRON DISCIPLINE
    1X PLASMA
    8X GUARDSMEN + LASGUNS

ELITES / DEEP STRIKE

HARDENED VET SGT + BOLTER + IRON DISCIPLINE
    3X MELTA
    2X LASGUNS

HARDENED VET SGT + BOLTER + IRON DISCIPLINE
    3X PLASMA
    2X LASGUNS

FAST ATTACK / DEEP STRIKE

3X SENTINELS + AUTOCANNON

HEAVY SUPPORT

2X LEMAN RUSS + H BOLTER CHASSIS + 2X H BOLTER SPONSONS + SMOKE + EXTRA ARMOR

1396 pts

NOTES:

Now I have room to put the Heavy Support in my HQ...I'm thinking of 3X H Bolters

I ridded myself of Commissars...I really liked them, oh well. The points are better spent on firepower.

I ridded myself of Vox and went for Ld Bubbles. I'm scared of that due to drop troops...they have the tendency to scatter and maintaining Ld Bubbles can be precaious at that, but I'll try it.

I trimmed down my Leman Russes...it makes sense anyway. Now I have 9 shots at medium range versus 1 shot LC or 1 shot BC long range..more flexible

I kept AC on Sentinels because I LOVE AC's. I used to kit my sents with LCs but trimmed down to ACs and found them to be just as effective.

I added bolters and vet sgts to all of my units as well as ID to officers. Excellent suggestion.

I kept Elite squads to 6 man versus 7 man only for the extra buffer to keep meltas and plasmas alive a bit longer...

I added missile teams and dropped H Bolters, which I'll add as HS to my HQ.

I added a Standard, but no mortar. Please help and explain the benefits of the standard though...I get it superficially, but has anyone benefitted from it in practice?

I kept the 2 platoon units that are DS'ing mobile - no HWs. I figured, more lasguns, more rapid fire, more flexibility? Good idea / bad idea?

Many thanks!

Joe

Hellhounds are good tanks Dakka,Dakka,Dakka's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

with the flag bearer it is like having a 2nd officer in that squad

any unit 12' away from your officer can use his leadership right, well any unit 12' away from your flag bearer can use it too so you can have a leadership bubble of 32' if you spread your squad out the maximum 2' between each model and is a great leadership bubble(if only you could have flag bearers for your infantry command squads)

+ Reply to Thread