750 guard (planning to start IG) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

750 guard (planning to start IG)

As per the "How to buy IG" thread, this a small list to help me figure out what to get. All help will be appreciated.

Doctrines: Iron Discipline, Sharpshooters

HQ- 193 pts
    JO w/ Honorifica, Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol, Iron Discipline - 76
    Squad: 2 Vets, Medic, Standard - 22
    AT Squad: 3 Missile Launchers - 95

Troops- 400 pts
    Platoon 1 - 185
    HQ: JO w/ Iron Discipline - 45
    Squads 1&2: Sgt, 9 guardsmen, Sharpshooters - 70 each

Platoon 2 - 215
    HQ: JO w/ Iron Discipline, Heavy Bolter (in squad) - 55
    Squads 1&2: Sgt, 9 guardsmen, Sharpshooters, Heavy Bolter - 80 each

Heavy Support- 155 pts
    LRBT w/ Hull Heavy Bolter, Sponson Heavy Bolters - 155

Total: 748 points

Imperator Custodit!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGunslinger View Post
    As per the "How to buy IG" thread, this a small list to help me figure out what to get. All help will be appreciated.

HQ- 193 pts
    I am not a fan of CC HQ for IG, sure it is fine with the command squads in platoons, but i find my HQ to valuable to be used as speed bumps.
    This is good for a 750pts army. It is possible to destroy vehicles, altough not as potent as with the lascannon. Yet it is possible to use frag, if they have no vehicles.
    Troops- 400 pts
    Platoon 1 - 185
    No special weapons, no heavy weapons?
    This platoon has no heavy weapons? Always put heavy weapons in platoons! Heavy bolters work wonders at this amount of points. Also the Sharpshooters doctrine is a waste of points on regular platoons and should be reserved for the anti-armour unit only. This could be used for heavy bolters or other such special weapons.
    Platoon 2 - 215
    Same as above
    Heavy Support- 155 pts
    This is a wonderful tank, altough it might be a big target when no other armour is on the table. It might work at 750, but be careful with it in 1000pts.

My 3 cents.
    -lurking in the shadows of LO.

Officially diagnosed by Tekore
    Melkhior, Necrarch Lord

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGunslinger View Post

HQ- 193 pts

I don't think the CC HQ for guard is going to be of much use, it looks to me like they should be used for Ld benefits and be placed at the rear of the army so they can't be attacked.

Remember Medpacks can't be used in base contact with an enemy, and due to the low squad size that's generally going to be the case if you are going to get into combat.

I'm not big on using support squads in HQs, I think it increases their longevity if you place one in each squad because it means they effectively have alot more wounds. And I think lascannon to a better job as you can leave the ifantry killing to troops with grenade launchers and the heavy bolters

Troops- 400 pts
    Platoon 1 - 185

They strength of guard lies in their heavy/special weapons, each squad should have one of each. Heavy bolters and lascannons are good choices, I normally take them in a 2:1 ratio in my squads. Grenade launcher is nice and versatile, it can take out hordes, medium infantry and maybe a light vehicle or two. Meltas you probably won't get close enough to use and are best saved for hardened vets. Plasma is good for taking out elite troops but beware that the guardsmen save is low so you might end up losing points. I'd say grenade launchers and plasma guns are your best bets. But don't neglect special and heavy weapons in any of your infantry squads unless you HAVE to. As has been said before, sharpshooters is a waste of points, could get an extra heavy bolter. The command squads just don't have enough bodies to soak up fire from enemies to protect the weapons, so I suggest you keep them to infantry squads.

Platoon 2 - 215

Same as before,but you might want to think about adding an extra squad or two to either platoon if you have the points. Helps you field more Heavy/special weapons that'll last longer.

Heavy Support- 155 pts

A solid choice for guard. In my opinion Leman Russ are best used for anti-infantry roles. Then you can leave the stationary longer range anti-tank weaponry to less mobile foot troops.
    Might think about adding smoke launchers for a tough spot maybe? Only 3 points.

Hope this helps

+ Reply to Thread