Space Wolf Army List Dilema-2000 pts. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Space Wolf Army List Dilema-2000 pts.

Hello everyone, I'm having some trouble with my Space Wolves mech army list. I'm knew to mech after years of foot slogging and drop pods. After, coming off a bad loss to a godzilla/genestaler army I'm really lost. I consider myself a good list maker but like i said i'm really lost with this one. If you could give me some help with the list i would greatly appreciate it. As of now the list stands at 2250 pts. and would like to cut it down to 2000. Thanks for any help.

HQ
    Wolf Lord Alarik Bloodmaw: 151
    frost blade
    master crafted
    bolt pistol wolf tooth necklace
    belt of russ
    runic charm

Wolf Priest Valter Krakenmight: 96
    bot pistol

Venerable Dreadnought Baldur the Ancient: 163
    assault cannon
    extra armour
    smoke launchers

TROOPS
    Grey Hunter pack 1*6: 243
    meltagun
    pack leader
    power fist
    wolf tooth necklace
    razorback
    E/A
    S/L
    lascannon
    Grey Hunter Pack 2*6: 243
    meltagun
    pack leader
    power fist
    wolf tooth necklace
    razorback
    E/A
    S/L
    lascannon

Grey Hunter Pack 3*6: 243
    meltagun
    pack leader
    power fist
    wolf tooth necklace
    razorback
    E/A
    S/L
    lascannon

Grey Hunter Pack 4*6: 243
    meltagun
    pack leader
    power fist
    wolf tooth necklace
    razorback
    E/A
    S/L
    lascannon

Blood Claw pack*8: 173 (ride in land raider with lord and wolf priest)
    power fist
    power weapon
    pack leader
    power fist
    wolf tooth necklace

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Land Raider: 258
    E/A
    S/L

Predator Destructor: 115
    heavy bolter side sponsons
    extra armour

ELITES
    Wolf Scout Pack*6: 164
    power weapons*2
    meltagun
    pack leader
    power fist
    wolf tooth necklace

FAST ATTACK
    Land Speeder Tornado: 80
    assault cannon

Land Speeder Tornado: 80
    assault cannon

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps drop a couple of Grey Hunters packs, drop the Blood Claws and maybe make them bikers? Land Speeders take as normal but with multi meltas.

Out of what I have got for Space Wolves I have mucked about and created a mechanised force. Still some sorting out needed, mainly the status of wolf guard pack leaders in terminator armour and transportaion in razorbacks. Both razorbacks are suped up with dozers, extra armour, smoke launchers and pintle SB's.

My force is just over 1,500pts:

Rune Priest 163pts HQ
    Venerable Dreadnought 178pts HQ
    Grey Hunters (9 hunters, 1 wolf guard, 1 razorback) 366pts troops
    Grey Hunters (6 hunters, 1 wolf guard, 1 razorback) 304pts troops
    Blood Claws Bike Squadron (5 bikes) 174 pts fast attack
    Blood Claws Attack Bike Squadron (3 bikes) 195pts fast attack
    Blood Claws Land Speeder Sq (2 speeders) 130pts fast attack

I think you'll get more out of BC's if you give them that faster role and rely on you GH's (better stats) to do the cc work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the reply, and i really appreciate it. I have a couple of issues though with what you said. First of all, i am using my grey hunters in a support role and with taking objectives. They are there for firepower and taking objectives and the razorbacks provide the extra anti-tank. Secondly, i find the bikers two pricey which results with them bieng small in numbers. Thus, to be short and brutal they die fast and quick while having little impact on the game. But, that has just been my expieriance.
    Thanks again for the reply!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could probably do away with the scouts i think. In my opinion they are mostly for stalling the enemy from shooting your main force/getting into combat with HW teams etc. I dont really beef them up at all since they are likely going to get into combat/shot up pretty fast, and thus not be worth their points.

Since your army is all mechanized anyways they are pretty much on their own - and especially vs. tyranids this is a bad thing. Id say either ditch them entirely or just strip them down to basic guys with pistols and CCW and let them do their thing.

You could also ditch the predator and just leave 2 razorbacks with heavy bolter turrets instead of upgrading to lascannons.

Dont know how those suggestions fit in with your strat but if youre looking to lose 250 pts then thats where id start personally.

good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hate to be a pain, but...

I think you got some of your points values messed up there -

1) A Grey Hunter with a Plasma Gun doesn't get access to the True Grit benefits (Bolter-specific) - as such you can drop one point there and get a Plasma Gun for 11 points as such. So a 10-Man Grey Hunter Squad with True Grit and a Plasma Gun costs 191 points.

2) Any vehicle option that does not have a complete entry in the Space Wolves Codex (Anything other than a Venerable Dreadnought or Leman Russ Exterminator basically) doesn't get access to the Space Wolves Vehicle Armoury and must take points costs from the Space Marine 5th Edition Codex.

3) Your Wolf Priest comes with a Power Weapon and a Bolt Pistol for 95 Points.

4) Runic Charms are 10 points, the correct cost of your Wolf Lord is 156 Points.

5) With the new rules (apparently, though I'll admit I may have this wrong) you can't have 2 independant characters/2different squads in one transport.

Then again, I just noticed this was written 2 years ago. Ahh well.

Personally, my 2k list consists of:

HQ1: Wolf Priest 95 + Bike 35 = 130

HQ2: Ragnar Blackmane 175 = 175
    + 4xBodyguard 100 + Terminator Armour 20+Thunder Hammer 20+2xLightning Claws 40+Chainfist 20+2xAssault Cannon 40 =240
    ^Dedicated Transport - Land Raider+Multi Melta = 260 points.

HQ3: Venerable Dreadnought 125 + Assault Cannon 30+ Extra Armour 5 + Drop Pod 35 = 195

Total for HQ = 1025 (expensive, I know)

Elite 1: Wolf Guard
    Elite 2: 6x Wolf Scouts 84 +2xPower Weapon 20 + Meltabombs 24 = 128
    Elite 3: As above = 128

Troops 1: 10x Grey Hunters 170+ 9x True Grit 9 +Plasma Gun 12 = 191
    Troops 2: 10x Blood Claws 140 + Power Weapon 8 + Power Fist 12 + Melta Gun 8 = 168
    Troops 3: As above

Fast Attack: 5x Blood Claws Bikers 150 +2x Power Fist 24 + Melta Gun 8= 182.

Grand total of. 2000 points on the dot.

Lacks Heavy Support other than the Land Raider, but usually I find that the Dreadnought and the Troops in the Raider can tie things up for long enough to get the Scouts on and the Blood Claws in close. At which point (while not necessarily an I-WIN button, most guys have trouble)
    Last edited by Andari; February 17th, 2009 at 14:58. Reason: damn smilies

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

2) Any vehicle option that does not have a complete entry in the Space Wolves Codex (Anything other than a Venerable Dreadnought or Leman Russ Exterminator basically) doesn't get access to the Space Wolves Vehicle Armoury and must take points costs from the Space Marine 5th Edition Codex.
    Please guide me to the page in the space wolves codex, FAQ, or other official doc which states this. Thanks.

Way to many points have been sunk into pack leaders with powerfists. Remove them, and use 2 powerfists you could have in the squads.

Ditch the tornados, Preditors bring more firepower, and better armor, use auto turret and side lascannons, to pick up a little anti tank. Then drop the lascannons on the razorbacks.

All space marine tanks already come with smoke launchers, so don't pay for it.

When you go to 2000 points, you'll want to drop the wolf preast.

I would consider picking up ragnar, and putting him in a squad of greyhunters with a rhino instead of razorbacks, and taking advantage of his excellent rules in the new edition of the codex.

This list screams 4th edition. Are you sure your using all of the proper codex's? 5th edition can be a rough awaking to some.

Are you sure you want to get away from drop pods in 5th? Wolves are one of the best at it now.
    Questions about drop pods? Click Here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!
    Need help with your HQ? Click Here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forged, I posted this in 2007, long before we even new anything about 5th edition.
    The Bloodmaw-Space Wolves 3rd Company

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar View Post
    Please guide me to the page in the space wolves codex, FAQ, or other official doc which states this. Thanks.

It says this right in the FAQ - "Use the point costs and rules form Codex: Space Marines for Dreadnoughts, Land Speeders, Attack Bikes, Whirlwinds, Predators, Land Raiders and Vindicators. All of the different variants and options available to these units in a Space Marine army are also available to the Space Wolves."

Also from an e-mail from GW Direct Services "Yes, you go by the current points listing. Therefore use the Space Marine codex for any unit entries that are the same in the Space Wolf codex."

The 'vehicle upgrades' costs listed in the Space Wolf codex are used only for Rhinos, Razors, V.Dreads and the Exterminator. Their effects are as printed the new Codex Space Marines.

And yah, how did this ancient topic resurface? lol

Hopefully by this time next year all this will be moot and we'll be either madly in love with a new Codex Space Wolves, or have tossed it in the bin in favour of using Vanilla rules for the pups.

-A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kek

hah, I think the topic resurfaced when I was googling "2000 points space wolf army list". Was going to try something experimental and wanted to see if anyone else had done it first.

Wolf Priest on a bike, Meltabombs, (135)
    8 Blood Claw Bikers (2 power fists) (264 points)
    Wolf Guard Leader with the squad, Power Weapon and Meltabombs (63 points)

- 462 points.

Very expensive, evilly effective. Turbo boost 24" first turn (unless you don't have it) into behind some cover, then move 12 & assault next turn. total of 32 attacks (on the charge).

I used it in a 2k battle vs some Necrons. The silly man made the mistake of actually moving towards me in his turn. HAHAHAHAHAA.

Needless to say, by turn three he didn't have a model not in close combat

+ Reply to Thread