Librarium Online Forums banner

500pts Guard - need advice against Tau - New to 40K

378 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Dakka,Dakka,Dakka 
#1 ·
Hi,
i've only just recently decided to start warhammer 40k and really like the Imperial Guard for the wide variation of units and convertions. I play LOTR most of the time, still enjoy it but fancy a change. Played fantasy a little bit but didnt like the non-skirmish game. i played an intro game to 40K and really liked it and now i'm making a 500pt army of Guard.

I have a mate that has played 40K for awhile now and he is making a 500pt Tau army to battle mine. If anybody has any advice on how to beat tau i will be very grateful.

Below is my first list, any advice or changes please post them up.

Doctrines
Iron Discipline, Grenadiers, Drop Troops, Close Order Drill

HQ

JO w/Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Iron Discipline
Autocannon
Grenade Launcher
1x Guardsman

TROOPS

Command Platoon
JO w/Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Iron Discipline
Autocannon
Grenade Launcher
1x Guardsman

Infantry Squad 1
Sergeant w/ Laspistol, Close Combat Weapon
6x Guardsman
Grenade Launcher
Heavy Bolter

Infantry Squad 2
Sergeant w/ Laspistol, Close Combat Weapon
6x Guardsman
Grenade Launcher
Heavy Bolter

Grenadiers
Sergeant w/ Hellpistol, Cloase Combat weapon, Frag/Krak Grenades
7x Storm Troopers
2x Plasma Guns
Chimera Transport w/ Multilaser, Hull Heavy Bolter

499pt

Will this do against Tau.
Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
At this level of points, you're best off agreeing to combat patrol rules. Otherwise spamming certain options can just leave the game unballanced.

At the moment your army has no way to deal with Crisis suits or Tanks to any degree of efficiency, if your mate takes a couple of them you're stuffed.

#3 ·
1 question, is he using kroot?

if he is not using kroot then hardened fighters + Drop Troops for your whole guard army + close order drill

assault him with ws 4 initiative 4 and outnumber him= dead tau army

i used this against my friend and my situation was more risky(drop troop whole army + cityfight) but for some reason the dice gods were on my side and only 1 squad landed on a building(suprising because it was a very dense city

#6 ·
i had a basic guard army with 5 roughriders with carapace and defeated the whole tau army in close combat(after 1 round of rapidfire because you cannot charge after deepstrike)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.