Ultramarines [500] - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ultramarines [500]

I have just started collecting Ultramarines and I was wondering whether the following list is good as it is, or if it needs some changes.
    So, here goes:

HQ:
    Reclusiarch w/ Storm Bolter, Jump Pack, Melta Bombs
    [115]

ELITES:
    Dreadnought
    [105]

TROOPS:
    5-man Tactical Squad w/ Frags, Heavy Bolter
    [85]
    5-man Tactical Squad w/ Frags, Multi-Melta
    [90]

FAST ATTACK:
    5-man Assualt Squad w/ Melta Bombs, Jump Packs, 2 Plasma Pistols
    [128]

TOTAL POINTS:
    [523]

So, there it is. Please make suggestions on what would make a better army, I could do with lots of help.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is in the wrong forum. this goes in the Space Marines Army List Forum.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

*Moved

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh, sorry, I had no idea where I was posting it.
    However, I will move it.
    Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, now for your list.

HQ: I would drop the storm bolter and give your chaplain a bolt pistol. This will maximize his attacks.

Elites: I would drop the dread for now.

Troops: I would drop frags as they wont be assaulting seeing they have heavy weapons.

Fast Attack: I would drop the melta bombs. When they become a tank hunting unit, its kinda a sad day. I would add a vet sergeant w/ Power Fist. Good at killing high toughness things.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    339 (x8)

First off, Berk, welcome to Librarium Online, and more specifically to Brotherhood of the Ultramarines. Try not to be put off by the post moving, it's just to keep the Forum tidy.

Now, for some advice on your list!

For your HQ, I agree with bladeofdeath3; the Storm Bolter is a little wasted on the Chaplain, as you want him to be in close combat or moving towards it as often as possible, making the extra range a waste, and as well as this the extra attack a Bolt Pistol will give him in an assault will ignore any armour saves, whereas the Storm Bolter only ignores really awful ones. Failing that, you could give him a power fist, so he gets an extra attack like with the pistol, but has the option of fighting with double strength (though he will have to wait until Initiative 1 blows are struck).

ELITES - the Dreadnought may be a bit overkill on a 500pts list, but personally I think they are an amazing choice for marines. Mine rarely lets me down, and they are cool models to boot. So if you want it, I say keep it. I normally shell out to make mine venerable, but that depends on how lucky you feel you are - I am usually very lucky with the damage chart rerolls (much to my opponent's chagrin).

Your TROOPS are the main place I can see room for improvement. A lot of Marine players undervalue their Tactical Squads and the role they can play. I always take two ten man squads. This is the first point I need to make - all your squads are five Marines. I know you have very little choice about it in such a small army list, but I think the first thing you should do to expand your army is get more Marines in those Tactical Squads - currently it only takes 2 shooting casualties to make them take a morale check, and 3 to make them under half strength - and once that happens they become next to useless in a lot of missions.

I would agree with bladeofdeath3 about the frag grenades, Tactical Squads shouldn't charge often enough to make this worthwhile. The multi-melta is a bit of a wasted choice on Ultramarines as no player in their right mind will let their tanks close enough to it for it to be useful - I would swap it out for a lascannon. I would probably also recommend you add special weapons to your squads as these can make a huge difference. Personally I'd go for a plasma gun in both squads, due to the lack of range on the Meltagun and the Flamer, and the fact that they are deadly to most infatry, so complement the Heavy Bolter well, and can be a significant threat to light-medium tanks as well. However an unlucky wound from Gets Hot! could be disastrous for squads that are so small so I could understand if you left them out.

The Assault Squad you have as your FAST ATTACK choice need a bit of crimping too. I would drop the plasma pistols, because as I noted above, unlcky To Hit rolls could end up making nearly half the squad casualties. Meltabombs are a matter of personal opinion - I tend to take them because they have saved my neck on many occasions, however you might want to drop them as they are not always as useful. As bladeofdeath3 said, I would add a veteran sergeant with a Powerfist (and storm shield, to protect him until he can attack). I also think this squad needs more members to make it effective.

At the end of the day, the changes I think are best are nothing too major. While it goes against what I said earlier, to keep the list at a smaller size I probably would end up dropping the Dreadnought, and then use the points to add more members to your other squads - you could buy 7 more Tactical Marines to split between the two squads for the price of that one Dreadnought! The points from the Frag Grenades, Plasma Pistols, Meltabombs and the Chaplain's Storm Bolter should leave you enough to upgrade the Assault Sergeant as well, though you may need to leave off the Storm Shield in favour of a Bolt Pistol (my maths hat is at home so I'm not positive).

I hope you aren't too disheartened by us callous Veterans ripping your list apart and that something I've said helps you out. Most of all, let us know what you think!

Edit: Bloody hell I've just written an essay! Well done to anyone who bothered to read all of that!
    Last edited by chrispcarter; September 6th, 2007 at 19:04.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bothered. And learned something. Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok i personally play dreadnought in 450 warlord games cause he's the elite troop killer... 4 str6 hits with the rending rule..., personall id do like 2 5 man tactic squads with heavy bolter and plasma each. try taking 7+ assault marines... best is 10 or 9, and give em a vet serg with power fist... HQ is fine... i kinda use the same only with thunderhammer(no armour saves) and bolt pistol. at 500 pts games u shouldnt have any problems with tanks since they wond use em alot, but still u have the dred and the plasma guns.
    cheers and GL with ya list ^_^
    "A Moment of Laxity spawns a Lifetime of Heresy...
    Never Repent, Never Forgive"

Warhammer 40k:
    Space Marines Army:
    Ultramarines; 3750pts

Warhammer:
    Dwarves Army (retired):
    Khazad-a-Doom; 4510pts
    Includes the "White Dwarf"

Wood Elves:
    Guardians of the Eastern Fringe: 1560pts

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    339 (x8)

I'm a bit confused by what you've said there Grimmaw... Warlord Games?

A Dreadnought has 3 attacks (on the charge) at Strength 10 (assuming he is standard configuration) and ignores armour but does not rend.

I agree on the HB / PG combo but not in squad so small, it's too easy to get them below 50% as I've said - extra bodies mean more chance of having scoring units left at the end of the game.

It's not really worth spending 30 points to give a Tactical Squad Sergeant a Power Fist (you need to purchase Terminator Honours first - that makes the upgrade cost the same as 2 Tactical Marines!) unless they are planning to be in a lot of assaults, in which case you are doing something wrong!

The Thunderhammer is a nice choice for HQ units (not Sergeants though, as it still costs 30 pts for a 1-wound model whereas a Power Fist is only 15), but the Chaplain's Crozius Arcanum already ignores armour saves; the reason to upgrade to a Thunder Hammer would be for the increased attack strength, and its ability to shake vehicles.

Feel free to enlighten me though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

warlord... ok im italian and dunno if theres same thing where u live, at GW stores u play progressivly from 450 to 2000 points, with different ranks, that get u to put more points in your army, but this is irrelevant.

dred has 4 rending (quite important: automatic wounds with 6s) shots (attacks, i meant shots sry) if he has assault cannon and yes 3 charge attacks

yes i play it with thunderhammer, not only +str but units/models that get wounded by it attack last next turn (quite important vs a chaos or a imperial guard hero)

ok i think ure meaning the morale test with 50% casualties, well... "and they shall know no fear" maybe u ment something else though... and if u play bigger squads u wont fit that many things in a 500 pts game...
    "A Moment of Laxity spawns a Lifetime of Heresy...
    Never Repent, Never Forgive"

Warhammer 40k:
    Space Marines Army:
    Ultramarines; 3750pts

Warhammer:
    Dwarves Army (retired):
    Khazad-a-Doom; 4510pts
    Includes the "White Dwarf"

Wood Elves:
    Guardians of the Eastern Fringe: 1560pts

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast