Brand new to Daemonhunters - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brand new to Daemonhunters

Hello All,

I am brand new to Grey Knights and Daemonhunters, having come froma Fantasy Empire army.

I have come up with a list for 2k and would realy appreciate any help you can give me.

HQ: Grand Master, with Storm Shield, Emperors Tarot 170
    5 - Terminator Retinue 230

Troops: 9 Grey Knights with Justicar and 2 Psycannons 325
    9 Grey Knights with Justicar and 2 Psycannons 325

Elite: Inquisitor with Terminator Armour, Lightning Claws, Storm Shield, Holocaust 100
    5 Terminators with Justicar and 2 Psycannons 300

Heavy Support: Dreadnaught with Twin-linked Las, Missile Launcher, Extra Armour 145
    Dreadnaught with Twin-linked Las, Missile Launcher, Extra Armour 145
    Landraider Crusader, Smoke Launchers 258

Plan is to have the Grandmaster and retinue in Landraider while the Inquisitor will join the other terminators. The Grey Knights are the shock troops and the Dreadnoughts perform Tank hunting and fire support

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Welcome to the DH! This army will behave nothing like what you're used to over in Fantasy with the Empire. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark P View Post
    HQ: Grand Master, with Storm Shield, Emperors Tarot 170
    5 - Terminator Retinue 230
    Interesting. I think I'd prefer to keep the stormbolter instead of the SS, but it is definitely cheaper than an Icon of the Just for the same essential benefit, especially if you want to get them stuck into assault. (Usually a good option when you have the GM.) However, I would recommend against packing them into the LRC. That puts about 30% of your points and capability in a single, one-wound basket. At 2000 pts, it will be easily destroyed and then you'll be climbing a steep uphill battle from there. And most DH battles are uphill as it is, what with being outnumbered so severely and all.

So what I'd do is deep strike them. It's the safest way to get them delivered close to the enemy and ready to rip them apart. It seems a shame to waste the BS 5 of the GM; I guess I really would consider keeping the SB instead of the SS, especially as you'll get one or more rounds of fire once you land.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark P
    Troops: 9 Grey Knights with Justicar and 2 Psycannons 325
    9 Grey Knights with Justicar and 2 Psycannons 325
    I dislike giving special weapons to my PAGKs. Each one costs you another GK model you could have had, but more egregiously, you've spent points reducing your superman GK down to a bog-standard space marine with a glorified heavy bolter. A heavy bolter that can't maintain the range of the squad's majority stormbolters while marching around. So instead of having two PAGKs, you get just one lame space marine. Usually, this is a very debilitating tradeoff.

In fact, by dropping those psycannons, you'd be just a few points short of fielding three solid GK squads, 2x 8 PAGKs and 1x 8 FAGKs (Fast Attack choice).
    Elite: Inquisitor with Terminator Armour, Lightning Claws, Storm Shield, Holocaust 100
    That's a lot of points on a model that doesn't deserve them. Why tool up an assaulty Inquisitor when the 4 PAGKs or 2 GKTs you could have instead for those points will vastly outperform him every time, both at range and in assault? Also note that you can't join this guy to a deep-striking squad unless you are fortunate enough to make both the inquisitor's reserves roll and the GKT reserves roll in the same turn. And like I said, he'd be just a drag on the GKTs anyway.

If you want an Inqusitor, either take a lone, independent character sniper (where, unlike in 7e Fantasy, he can't be targeted) he's perfectly safe and plenty annoying with the psycannon you should give him. Otherwise, build him as an I-lord with a full shooty retinue: plasma cannon servitor, 2 heavy bolter servitors, 2 sages, 1-2 mystics, and go nuts with this awesome fire support squad. Or ... don't use him at all.
    5 Terminators with Justicar and 2 Psycannons 300
    I very much like GKT squads like this ... when they're footslogging and not deep-striking. The shrouding will keep them safe while you pepper the enemy with psycannon fire. It's very deadly, and mighty annoying to the enemy, who can't really touch them without risking assault ... and who likes being assaulted by GKTs?
    Heavy Support: Dreadnaught with Twin-linked Las, Missile Launcher, Extra Armour 145
    Dreadnaught with Twin-linked Las, Missile Launcher, Extra Armour 145
    Landraider Crusader, Smoke Launchers 258
    Were it me, I'd drop the LRC in favor of a 3rd dread and use the points saved on more infantry. But, provided you run it empty -- thereby risking only the points of the tank itself and not troops which you badly need to stay alive -- it can be OK at this points level.

Your other option is to drop the dreads and take a second land raider and use the redundancy of the raiders to dilute the firepower coming their way.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

+ Reply to Thread