New 1,000, 1,500, 2,000 lists -- newbie needs help! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

New 1,000, 1,500, 2,000 lists -- newbie needs help!

Hi:

Sorry to post multiple lists, but I figured if the ultimate plan was all laid out here, it would make more sense. I am brand spanking new to guard (haven't even bought models yet), and I'm trying to plan a large army, as part of a huge Imperium-based collection I'm building. Basically I want an army that is as mechanized as possible without going the traditional mechanized doctrine route, both to have an "unusual" army and one that is fluffy. I'm not opposed to drop troops, I suppose, but if I do use them, it won't be for the whole army, partially for fluff reasons.

Doctrines (all lists): Grenadiers, Rough Riders, Hardened Veterans

1,000 points:

HQ:

Junior officer, Honorifica Imperialis, 2x plasma, mortar crew -- 95 points
    Chimera, multilaser, hull-mounted heavy bolter, extra armour, smoke launchers, pintle-mounted heavy stubber, rough terrain modification -- 110 points

Total HQ: 205 points

Troops:

Grenadiers, 10 including 2xplasma, Vet. Sgt. with power weapon -- 132
    Chimera, multilaser, hull-mounted heavy bolter, extra armour, smoke launchers, pintle-mounted heavy stubber, rough terrain modification -- 110 points

Grenadiers, 10 including 2xmelta, Vet. Sgt. with power weapon -- 132

Total Troops: 484 points

Fast Attack:

Rough Riders x 10, lances -- 110 points

Total Fast Attack: 110 points

Heavy Support:

Leman Russ Demolisher w/hull-mounted heavy bolter, plasma cannon sponsons, extra armour, smoke launchers, rough terrain modification -- 183

TOTAL: 982

1,500 list: Same as above, but with the following additions:

HQ:
    Sentinel support squad x3, armoured crew compartment, extra armour, smoke launchers, lascannons on all three -- 249 points

Elites:

Hardened Veterans x10, including 3xplasma, lascannon -- 140 points

Total Elites: 250 points

TOTAL: 1,481

2,000 list: Same as above, but with the following additions:

Elites:

Hardened Veterans x10, including 3xplasma, lascannon -- 140 points

Total Elites: 250 points

Fast Attack:

Rough Riders x10, 2xmeltaguns, Vet. Sgt. with power weapon, melta bombs for squad -- 152 points

Total Fast Attack: 152 points

Heavy Support:

Leman Russ Battle Tank, Hull/sponson heavy bolters, extra armour, smoke launchers, heavy terrain modification -- 165

TOTAL: 2,048

Ok, as you can see, my 2,000-pointer is a little over. I'm trying to decide what to cut in that list, or how the other lists can be cut and rearranged. I know everyone will tell me to ditch the transports for the vets. I'm trying to make a list for all comers and all situations, and I fear if I have 2-3 units of vets in my list, they'll be screwed once I run into a mission that doesn't allow infiltration/deep striking. Course, if that doesn't happen that often, or I'm just being a pain, just say so :rofl

Another thing I'm sure people are noticing are the overloaded vehicles. Rough terrain is designed to accommodate Cities of Death games, when/if I play them. For the same reason, I'm loading up the sentinels, as they are the only vehicle-based lascannons in the crew, so I want them to stick around. Am I being too thorough? Should I give up on some of this stuff to streamline the list? If the answer is yes, what units would you suggest I buy/beef up with the points I wind up saving?

Thanks!

Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

I'll start with this list as once you have got it settled you will then have a good basis for expansion.

Righty lets start with the HQ, This is pretty good just drop the mortar and perhaps get a medic to save you from melting to plasma. As oyu are also using grenadiers consider making this unit anti horde by goving the officer a stormbolter and the squad a couple of flamers (perhaps even a flamer on the chimera if you were so inclined). If you were to do this it would add some extra antihorde ability to your list.

The troops choices look pretty solid but the vet sarges arent really necesary. You wont want to get that unit into combat so the extra points arent worth it. In platoon squads it can be because of the added LD but you dont get that with grenadiers so you could shave a few points here. THe rough terrain mods that appear throughout your list arent really to my liking however it depends on how you play aswell as the scenery on your tables so just think carefully about how often you are using them and decide wether, after a few battles, you want to keepo them or not.

Im not a great fan of demolishers but its personal prefeence. as for the weapons choices, they seem fairly good so I'd leave them as they are. However you dont need to have smoke launchers as this unit shoud be firing all of the time, they shouldnt really be needed, again the rough terrain mod as above.

The rough riders are a nice solid choice but perhaps consider making the sarge a vet so you get that extra attack ont he charger. Also consider getting two five man units both wiht vet sarges. This woudl give you greater tactical flexibility as you could use them as a single unit by attacking with both squads or use them seperately to mop up units. This splitting tactic could also aid their survivability.

Hope that helps

A

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Thanks, commisar.

Any other thoughts?
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

+ Reply to Thread