[1850 - 2000] Raven Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

[1850 - 2000] Raven Guard

Traits
    • Blessed Be the Warriors
    • We Stand Alone
    HQ

1 Master with Lightning Claws, Jump Pack, Combat Shield, Terminator Honours, Frag Grenades
    @151 points

1 Reclusiarch with Bolt Pistol, Jump Pack, Terminator Honours
    @122 points

Elites

1 Venerable Dreadnought with Heavy Flamer, Extra Armour
    1 Drop Pod
    @170 points

7 Assault Marines with Furious Charge
    1 Sergeant with Terminator Honours, Power Fist, Furious Charge
    @230 points

7 Assault Marines with Furious Charge
    @230 points

Troops

5 Marines with Bolters
    1 Marine with Melta Gun
    1 Marine with Heavy Bolter
    1 Sergeant with Terminator Honours, Power Fist
    1 Drop Pod
    @195 points

5 Marines with Bolters
    1 Marine with Plasma Gun
    1 Marine with Lascannon
    1 Sergeant with Terminator Honours, Power Fist, Auspex
    @177 points

5 Scouts with Bolters
    1 Scout with Missile Launcher
    @88 points

5 Scouts with Bolters
    @88 points

Fast Attack

1 Land Speeder Tornado
    @80 points

1 Land Speeder Tornado
    @80 points

Heavy Support

3 Devastators with Bolters
    4 Devastators with Missile Launchers
    @232 points

Total Points: 1843
    Total Models: 59

Up to 2000 points

For the 2000 point limit, I'll be adding models to each unit to fill them out (Assault Marines, Tactical Marine, and Devastators, costing 190 points). This will leave me 17 points to play with, so the Master's Combat Shield will likely turn into an Iron Halo.

Last edited by Lost Nemesis; September 23rd, 2007 at 00:37.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

Well, you managed to get that up in my painting session, so that's pretty good going!

Lets see about the list then shall we?

HQ:
    Looks solid. The Master is (as you well know) a carbon-copy of mine, and gerenally works best as either a counter-charge unit, or as a 'wild-card', picking off small enemy squads that become separated from the main group...
    The Chaplain is another tried-and-true set-up, though you (fairly obviously) need to keep him in one of the Assault Squads. As an interesting variation, how about running him between the pair of assault squads, who head down the center of the field side-by-side towards the main 'lump' of the enemy. When one of them is ready to charge, use that movement phase to attach the Chaplain to whichever squad looks like it will need the most help/luck. Makes your enemy have to work a bit harder and guess about what your intentions are...

Elites:
    Dread: Lovely. Don't be too suprised if he dies the turn he lands, and don't treat him gingerly. Chuck him in the middle of the enemy formations and distract the hell out of them. Try and use the DP to block your enemies firing lanes, especially vs. a static enemy...

Assault Squads: Fine, though some 'special' weapons wouldn't go amiss. I really can't reccomend a pair of flamers enough, though if you think you're going to be mostly playing against MEQs, definately give plasma a whirl... Points permitting, of course.

Troops:
    Now, I suspect that here is where we're going to have some disagrements, but roll with me for a while, ok?
    Tactical Squad 1: Fine. As you're podding, you might want to think extra hard about the HB, because although it's only 5 points, you almost certainly won't really use it much. Mine gets used a lot more because I generally have at least one turn of standing still (ie: turn 1), wheras you cannont use it at all until at least turn 3, and chances are pretty good that it is probably more advantageous for these guys to be moving about by that point...
    Something to test out a bit in VASSAL, anyway.

Tactical Squad 2: This is where I start having mis-givings. Theoretically, these guys are fine. You definately need the LC in this level of game, but the squad as a whole isn't working for me. What I would suggest is (and this is where it gets tricky) trying to find enough points to get 2 more Space Marines, and splitting this into 2 'combat' squads. 5 guys with the LC, 5 guys with the plasma and 'fisted Vet. This give you many, many more options, including the ability to deploy them seperately, yet use them as one 'squad', should it be tactically astute.

Scouts: These guys are fine. Worth it for nuisance value alone...

Fast Attack:
    This is where I'm going to make up some of those points for you.
    Drop one of the Speeders.

Yup, I said it. Get it back in at 2,000pts, sure, but at 1,850 you need the points to do several of the things I outlined above. For 80 pts you can grab 4 more marines (to max out your tactical squads, and split the fire support guys into combat squads) and get a pair of plasma pistols and a pair of flamers for the assault squads (inc. the 2 points you're down anyway).

Heavy Support:
    Awesome. Deploy these guys carefully though, as you can't infiltrate them you won't be able to know where your enemies tasty stuff is, so try and cover as many fire-lanes as possible.
    Otherwise, just sit back and hammer away at something. Mmmm, missile-y goodness.

Boost to 2,000 points:
    I believe you have 150 points to play with for this upgrade, so assuming you've taken my advice above, this is how I'd spend them:
    80 - Land Speeder Tornado.
    30 - 2 Marines for the Devs.
    15 - Upgrade Combat Shield to Iron Halo.
    25 - 1 Assault Marine w/ Furious Charge.

The last one is unideal, I grant you, but there isn't much else you can get for 25pts, aside from an Assault Marine.
    Maybe upgrade the Recclusiarch into a Master of Sanctity and grab an extra 10 pts of wargear somewhere... Frags on the podding squad maybe?

So, that's my initial thoughts, hopefully they are of some use...

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Tweaked a bit..

Hm... let's try a few things out then.

Traits
    • Blessed Be the Warriors
    • We Stand Alone
    HQ

1 Master with Lightning Claws, Jump Pack, Combat Shield, Terminator Honours, Frag Grenades
    @151 points

Elites

1 Venerable Dreadnought with Heavy Flamer, Extra Armour
    1 Drop Pod
    @170 points

5 Assault Marines with Furious Charge
    2 Assault Marines with Plasma Pistols, Furious Charge
    @240 points

5 Assault Marines with Furious Charge
    2 Assault Marines with Flamers, Furious Charge
    @242 points

Troops

8 Marines with Bolters
    1 Marine with Melta Gun
    1 Drop Pod
    @220 points

7 Marines with Bolters
    1 Marine with Plasma Gun
    1 Marine with Lascannon
    @207 points

5 Scouts with Bolters
    @88 points

5 Scouts with Bolters
    @88 points

7 Scouts with Bolt Pistols, CCW's
    @132 points

Fast Attack

1 Land Speeder Tornado
    @80 points

Heavy Support

3 Devastators with Bolters
    4 Devastators with Missile Launchers
    @232 points

Total Points: 1850
    Total Models: 69

Not convinced on the 'combat squad' thing so I think I'll run the full 10-man squad as is for the moment. Added the CC Scouts squad to support my Assault Squads, got rid of the Chaplain.

For 2000 points, I could reintroduce the Chaplain and two Marines into the Devastator squad (removing an Auspex from a squad). I could also reintroduce the second Land Speeder, and have 70 points to play with... I have options I suppose.

edit: Just thought of another thing I could do... I could use the 150 remaining points to fill out my two Assault Squads to 10-man, fill out the Devastator squad to 10-man, then upgrade the Master's Combat Shield to an Iron Halo. That would leave me 5 points of stuff sitting around, so I could throw something random on someone.
    Last edited by Lost Nemesis; September 26th, 2007 at 04:34.

+ Reply to Thread