Ultramarines 2000 pts vs Tyranids - Secure and Control - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    339 (x8)

Ultramarines 2000 pts vs Tyranids - Secure and Control

Hi all,
    as part of an ongoing 4 player campaign I'm attacking the Tyranid menace, here are my 2000 pts of gribbly-blasters:

-----

HQ

Marneus Calgar in Artificer Armour
    Honour Guard Command Squad (Ancient, Champion, 2 Honour Guard)

ELITES

Venerable Dreadnought Adox w/ Assault Cannon, Powerfist, Extra Armour Smoke Launchers, Furious Charge.

TROOPS

Tactical Squad I - (10 Man) Plasma Gun, Missile Launcher

Tactical Squad II - (10 Man) Plasma Gun, Heavy Bolter

Tactical Squad IV - (10 Man) Veteran Sergeant w/Combi-Melta & Power Fist, Meltagun.
    Drop Pod.

FAST ATTACK

Land Speeder Tornado VII-A (Assault Cannon & Heavy Bolter)

Land Speeder Tornado VII-B (Assault Cannon & Heavy Bolter)

Land Speeder Tornado VII-C (Assault Cannon & Heavy Bolter)

HEAVY SUPPORT

Devastator Squad IX (10 Man) 2 Lascannon, 2 Missile Launcher

Devastator Squad X (10 Man) 2 Lascannon, 2 Missile Launcher

Vindicator I - Dozer Blade, Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers

-----

...a pretty simple list, I'm expecting a list consisting of Tyrant w/ guard and a couple of 'fexes and 'thropes at the back, with a couple of squads of 'stealers and a mob of 'gaunts at the front. Possibly warriors as well.

The first 2 Tactical Squads will be concentrating on the gaunts and stealers and anything else that gets too close.

The Devastators will shoot at the synapse creatures where possible.

The speeders, dreadnought and vindicator will choose targets of opportunity based on how the horde/monster shooting goes.

Marneus and the Honour Guard will be attacking the first nasty thing that inevitably gets too close to my lines.

The Drop Pod Marines will be brought down to meltafrag and rapid fire anything that is hanging back and using shooting attacks (dakkafex or zoanthropes probably).

I'm not too fussed about trying to control loot as I know I'm going to be relying on killing the enemy as my main method of getting VPs, but if any of them are still going towards the end of the game, my Speeders, Tactical Squad IV and Venerable Brother Adox will be my primary claiming units.

...let the backlash begin!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm you know all he has to do is stay in cover within 6" of a token and your list will be useless seeing as its not VP in secure and control rather how many tokens you have at the end of the game plus he can swap any squads you use to control those counters easily.

Heres how I'd do things.
    I don't know why your using calgar he isn't going to do you any good. Keep the honour guard if you want and get a master with PF, bolt pistol, termi honours and if you want a halo or artificer armour. It will be a lot cheaper than calgar and just as good really seeing as you don't want combat with nids seeing as they are faster than you.

The dread should have heavy flamer and I'd be dropping podding him. I'd also add another one to your army.

The tactical squads are focusing on gaunts right, so why would you not give them both heavy bolters. They can still use the plasmas to kill big stuff and heavy bolters can work for big stuff as well. The drop podding one is fine.

I would swap the land speeders to flamers and multi meltas this way they can kill big stuff and flamer any genestealers or gaunt squads effectively.

The dev squads are fine. The vindicator is fine though Isn't a very reliable tank but if your versing a swarm army it shouldn't do to badly.
    Never broken, Never fallen, Courage out of fear.
    "Those who give up often do not realize just how close they are to success when they give up."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    339 (x8)

Hi Grimaldus 53, thanks for taking the time to read my list. I am confused about a couple of points you made though.

Victory points do make a difference, as we are playing an Omega level game, where Victory Points are what the game is decided on. There are a lot of points awarded for holding objective as well of course, but I have played plenty of missions where this has become a secondary consideration to survival - my friends/opponents and I are all relatively experienced playhers so our games usually end up getting pretty brutal.

I don't see why you are dissing Marneus Calgar so much - he has 4 wounds and can re-roll two power fist to hit rolls a turn, and doesn't cost much more than the Captain config you mentioned - plus he looks damn cool.

I have the command squad because whereas I know I don't want to be fighting Tyranids in an assault, I know I will be, and I want some sort of response to them. The Honour Guard contains 2 models that count as Independent Characters (3 counting Calgar) meaning that there is no way for my opponent to wipe them out in one turn, as his squads / creatures can only attack one per round of combat, plus the Banner of Macragge will give them all Counter Attack and +1A when charged, allowing them to really do some damage (fingers crossed).

I had pondered the flamer on the dread so I might switch to this. I may also have podded him if I'd had the points but I've never had any trouble in getting him to grips with the 'nids in the past.

I kept the ML in the Tactical Squad because a) that's how it's modelled and painted and b) if there are no hordes left to shoot a Krak Missile can often save the day (well maybe). I can see your point though, don't get me wrong. I do have another HB / PG squad which I would have used, but they aren't painted yet (curse my lack of speed painting skills).

The reason I don't use MM/HF on the Land Speeders is because they are too jack of all trades. The Multi-melta is wasted against squads and the flamer is wasted against monstrous creatures / ICs. The HB and AC on the other hand have a good chance of doing significant damage to both, be it through sheer weight of fire on hordes, or through doing many high strength / rending hits on the big ones.

The Vindicator was only just bought by me so I'm gametesting it for the first time :-)

Thanks very for your input!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

339 (x8)

After Action Report!

Well without meaning to sound smug (this time), that went exactly to plan.

I ended up facing 3 squads of 20 'Gaunts acting as shields for 3 squads of 10 'Stealers, another 10 Genestealers with with a Broodlord which were infiltrating, 3 Zoanthropes, 2 Venom Cannon-wielding Carnifex, and a Winged Hive Tyrant.

At the beginning of the game there was a 'Gaunt / 'Stealer / Zoanthrope combo on each flank and in the centre of the board, a Carnifex at each flank and the Hive Tyrant behind a building on the right flank (from my perspective).

At the end of my opponent's Turn 6, there was 1 Gaunt, and a Zoanthrope with 1 wound left, and I'd claimed 4 of the 5 Loot Counters.

A Land Speeder went down in the second turn to shooting, I lost Tactical Squad II to a Genestealer charge in turn 5 (9 rending attacks!), and the same for the Dreadnought and the Vindicator in turn 4 (damned rending). Tactical Squad IV died in an assault in Turn 5, Tactical Squad I's Plasma Gunner died due to rapid firing, and I lost the 5 bolter toters of Devstator Squad X to a combination of Spinefist and Zoanthrope fire.

My "best plays" of the game were:

2 of the Land Speeders and The Dreadnought on the left flank managed to shoot up the infiltrating 'Stealers and Broodlord in turn 1, killing 9/10 stealers and casuing my opponent to pull them back where they promptly got finished off a couple of turns later after hiding.

Having two Devastator squads was invaluable - they were both in elevated positions and passed target priority checks time after time to let me shoot at the stealers, thropes or fexes as the situation changed. I'd definitely take two squad again against an army like this.

The Tactical Squads were as ever the anchors and the lynchpin of my army, I and II rapid fired dead more gaunts than I care to count (probably at least 40 between them).

Squad IV (w/ Drop Pod) really exmeplified Courage and Honour - they landed in a ruin in my opponent's deployment zone occupied by a Hive Tyrant and a Carnifex, and through shooting and fighting back in assault, managed to take the Tyrant down to 1 wound before they died as heroes of the chapter. They also tied up the Tyrant and a Carnifex for 2 whole turns, which I think really saved my battleplans. By the time the Tyrant left the building it was turn my opponent's 4, and in the following turn a lascannon blast finished it off - it never even made it into my half of the board!

My personal favourite moment though, was when my opponent discovered just what a bad idea it was to charge Marneus Calgar and his Honour Guard - once he had seen them counter-attack and worked out just how many power-weapon attacks the squad got between them! Needless to say Tactical Squad II were avenged with interest, and I'd definitely field them again (it was the first time I'd used them).

The Vindicator was a bit of a let-down, as it only killed 5 Gaunts, but that was due to bad luck rather than judgement, so I'm not too peeved with it.

Basically I had one of those dream games where everything works. I can't say the same for my opponent though - he kept rolling high on the fleet roles for his Spinegaunts, but awful for his Genestealers, and I lost count of the number of times he missed with Focused Blast (though I thanked The Emperor every time)!

Still, 1 Victorious Slaughter later I am pretty happy with this list (as you can probably imagine). Next up are the Eldar though! <shudder>

+ Reply to Thread