Armored Company, list and questions. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Armored Company, list and questions.

I could not pass up the deal on the 10 leman russ armored company. I don't plan to play apoc but I always wanted an all tank army.

Here is my proposed list with a question.
    Heavy Tank, Demolisher, 3 H Bolters, Ace Gunner 180
    Heavy Tank, Demolisher, 3 H Bolters, Ace Gunner 180

Troop Tank, Leman Russ, 3 H Bolters, Ace Gunner 180
    Troop Tank, Leman Russ, 3 H Bolters, Ace Gunner 180

Tank Ace, Leman Russ, 3 H Bolters, Anti Tank Round, Ace Gunner 255
    Tank Ace, Leman Russ, 3 H Bolters, Anti Tank Round, Ace Gunner 255

Command Tank, Exterminator, 3 H Bolters, Twin SBolter, Ace Gunner 270

Total 1500

Ace Gunner just about doubles the chances of a direct hit with ordanence and nearly increases the effective BS of the Tank Aces and Command Tank to 5. This costs the price of a full leman russ however. Giving up one entire tank so all the others can have increased fire power might be risky...

The Anti Tank Rounds are cheaper for the Aces than buying a Vanquisher and the extra 20 inches will not be missed on regular 6x4 boards.

The Demolishers are needed for the AP 2 template.

Tell me what you think...

Question. I have two sources for the value of the demolisher, one (my IG codex) says the demolisher is 10tpts more expensive than the regular leman the other states that the demolisher is the same price. I cant find a date on either document, which is accurate?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all, math problem:
    Your demolishers cost 190, not 180 remember that the demolisher is 10 points more expensive than the regular leman russ (i think I'm allowed to say that since I didn't say how much it actually costs)

Remember when taking AT rounds over Vanquishers that AT rounds have a special rule that says they must remain stationary to fire them and that the Vanquisher does not have this rule. Enemy tanks will not nicely hold still when they see LOS to a tank with AT rounds, they will get behind the nearest piece of area terrain.

Ace Gunner just about doubles the chances of a direct hit with ordanence
    raises the odds from 3/9 to 5/9 to be exact.

Btw this is my AC, care to comment?

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ad.php?t=96374 (2000 Armoured Company)
    Last edited by Rabid_IBM; October 29th, 2007 at 22:13. Reason: added link to my AC
    what do you call a lasgun with a laser sight?

twin linked

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the feed back.

I did a double check, the armored company list has the demolisher at the same price as the leman. The prices are different in the IG codex.

I am aware of the no move rule using anti tank rounds. The advantages of move and shoot on the vanquisher may persuade me to use it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, your right about the demolisher, I wonder why it's cheeper here. Sorry about that, I didn't look to closely at the AC rules for tanks that I already knew from reading the ig codex. My bad.

Btw maybe you could answere a question for me, why would anyone ever want to take a conqueror? I understand that it's inteded to fire the secondary weapons with an extra blast from the conqueror cannon but is it really worth that many more points than an exterminator?

I know that you don't have the points left over for it but I still want to say that I have never regreted putting smoke launchers and extra armour on any vehicle (except the basilisk).

twin linked

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't

No one in their right mind would use a conquer over an exterminator for the points difference. I assume the writer intended for the Conquer cannon to have a large blast but that is not the RAW.

Extra amour is only for vehicles that want to move even if they cant shoot. this helps fast vehicles get behind cover on the round they cant shoot and transports get troops into battle. Heavy armor is generally too slow to duck behind cover and relies on its heavy AV to protect it on the turns it can't shoot.

Smoke is mainly for transports and short range vehicles that can't shoot for a turn while they are trying to get into range. Long range tanks should almost always have a target in any given turn.

"Blessed is the mind too small to write a balanced codex...."
    Last edited by russellt; October 31st, 2007 at 18:29.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you don't want to take the upgrades that is your choice, but my reasons for taking them are:

Extra armour: Unable to fire is a nuicance, unable to move is deadly. If you go a full turn without being able to move this gives the enemy a golden opportunity to flank you. IMO it's very worth the few points to not have to worry about that. Also demolishers have a tendancy to have to spend the first turn or 2 running 12", being immobilised for a turn basically cuts out a round of shooting just because it takes you that much longer to get in range.

Smoke launchers: These have the advantage of being usable even if you are shaken or stunned, which are quite often times when things are going badly for your tank, and the ability to disallow penetrating hits for a turn when you aren't shooting anyways prooves quite usefull. Also, again for the demoilsher and it's need to run up to the enemy, having smoke launchers opens up the terrain to the tank a lot more, as you can make those 20" dashes across open terrain in range of AT fire, and not worry too much about it. Especially if you have lots of tanks, the AT weapons will be to busy to waste time shooting a tank they can't penetrate.

But hey, if you still don't like them, it's your list, and your call.

twin linked

+ Reply to Thread