First Shot at a 1k Drop Regiment - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Shot at a 1k Drop Regiment

This is my first attempt at a future 1,000pts Army list after I picked up the codex today. I intend to deep strike the whole army, so I wanted to make them a little more durable, and relied on plasma and melta to destroy enemy armour. The comms link would give me a little more relyability for army deployment.
    Also, I intended to take Platoon One + a sentinel or two for a border patrol army, but I'm unsure as to how well that'd work.
    Any help and advice is much apreciated!

Doctrines:
    Drop Troops
    Carapace Armour
    Die Hards
    Veterans
    Iron Discipline

Command Platoon:
    Command HQ - 135pts
    Heroic Senior Officer
    Master Vox- Caster
    Carapace armour
    Autocannon
    Iron Discipline

Sentinel Support Squadron - 65 pts
    Sentinel with multi laser
    Improved Comms

Infantry Platoon One
    Command Squad - 136
    Junior Officer; HI, Power Weapon
    Two Plasma Guns
    Vox- Caster
    Veteran Medic
    Carapace armour
    Die Hards
    Iron Discipline

Infantry Squad- 91
    Flamer
    Vox-Caster
    Carapace Armour
    Die Hards

Infantry Squad - 88
    Plasma Gun
    Vox Caster
    Carapace Armour

Infantry Platoon Two
    Command Squad - 85
    Junior Officer
    Vox- Caster
    Carapace armour
    Missile Launcher
    Iron Discipline

Infantry Squad- 91
    Flamer
    Vox-Caster
    Carapace Armour
    Die Hards

Infantry Squad - 88
    Plasma Gun
    Vox Caster
    Carapace Armour

Hardened Veterans - 105
    Sergeant & four guardsmen
    Three Plasma Guns
    Vox Caster
    Carapace Armour
    Die Hards

Hardened Veterans - 105
    Three Melta Guns
    Vox Caster
    Carapace Armour
    Die Hards

Sentinel Squadron- 60pts
    Sentinel with Autocannon
    HK Missile

(Total = 999pts)

Last edited by Ilkar; November 18th, 2007 at 01:17.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off, most guard lists are preceded by posting a list of the 5 doctrine choices you made, so we know what to look for.

I do believe there is a rule somewhere that you have to deploy something initially. I could be wrong, but I dont think you can put everything in reserve.

Break up the sentinels as much as possible. If you group them in squads than enemies can just shoot everything at the squad, if you break them up then they have to decide how much to fire at each one. Also I would not recomend the heavy flamer. On deep strikes sentinels have the advantage of not having to deep strike close to be effective, they can land anywhere within 36/48" (depending on weapons) and fire their heavy weaopn the turn they arrive. They dont have to risk scattering into enemy units and dying by default. I would go for multilaser sentinels, as even str 6 can be a good tank killer when it hits rear armour with 3 shots. I wouln't put hardened fighters on them, if something wants to assault the sentinel, then it will kill it before the extra attack does anything, if it doesn't want to be assaulted than the sentinel wont catch it.

Deep striking infantry heavy weapons is a tough one to pull off, as the earliest they could fire would be turn 3, and thats if they succeed the first reserve roll.

For the veterans, take the doctrine veterans so you can take more than one squad, then take 2-3 squads at minimum size with 3 melta guns. Each squad costs a total of 75 points, and is an effective tank killer. Once you have them, noone else has to worry about tank busting, and can focus elsewhere.

If you are going to take vox, then give the hq a master vox caster so it actually does something.

Also if you want vox, you had better have a look around at the threads where people argue about what can and can't go down a vox network, so you know what ambiguities there are in the rules, and can make your decision on how to interpret them. Btw, just cause I could see this one comming, now that I opened the can of worms i feel i have to ask everyone not to turn this into another vox debate thread.
    what do you call a lasgun with a laser sight?

twin linked

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the feedback!

Firstly, I've checked out deep striking your whole army in my local GW, and it's perfectly legitimate.

The things on sentinels, heavy weapons and veterans I think are all great ideas and Ive changed my list accordingly. I've changed the two plasma guns for the upgrade to master vox, although its a little bit reluctantly. Thats quite a bit of firepower in exchange for something that could be settled with bubbles, but ill take it for the first couple of games to see how it plays. Question: Can I still use the master vox if he's not on the table yet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkar View Post
    This is my first attempt at a future 1,000pts Army list after I picked up the codex today. I intend to deep strike the whole army, so I wanted to make them a little more durable, and relied on plasma and melta to destroy enemy armour. The comms link would give me a little more relyability for army deployment.
    Also, I intended to take Platoon One + a sentinel or two for a border patrol army, but I'm unsure as to how well that'd work.
    Any help and advice is much apreciated!
    OK you may like to read this:
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ad.php?t=81550 (A Doctrine too Far - IG drop troops)
    Doctrines:
    Drop Troops
    Carapace Armour
    Die Hards
    Veterans
    Close Order Drill
    Would prefer iron discipline, drop troops and the other 3 used for unlocking unit types (veterans, special weapons squads etc)

Also give some thought to those scenarios where deep striking is not allowed
    Command Platoon:
    Command HQ - 121pts
    Heroic Senior Officer; Melta Bombs, Power Weapon
    Master Vox- Caster
    Veteran Medic
    Carapace armour
    Die Hards
    JO and honorifica will save you points.
    Melta bombs are bad, this unit is giving moral to the rest of your army, it should therefore try and stay alive, if you are at the point where you are using melta bombs then something has gone disasterously wrong, I would strip it right back, perhaps a pistol and a power weapon for the officer, a medic and the master vox, as above I would have removed carapace and die hards, but would look potentially at some very long range weapons
    Sentinel Support Squadron - 65 pts
    Sentinel with multi laser
    Improved Comms
    prefer to use sentinels for anti tank if deep striking, hence las cannon and HK, gives you 2 shots at rear armour with prety high strength
    Infantry Platoon One
    Command Squad - 78
    Junior Officer; Melta Bombs
    Two Plasma Guns
    Vox- Caster
    Veteran Medic
    Carapace armour
    Die Hards
    dont like the melta bombs, if you want to take out tanks, give the officer a power fist or use melta guns in the squad, again would clearly ditch carapace
    Infantry Squad- 96
    Vox-Caster, Flamer
    Carapace Armour
    Die Hards

Infantry Squad - 98
    Grenade Launcher
    Vox Caster
    Carapace Armour
    GL is the worse weapon choice, either plasma or melta, Flamers sound good but the slightest deviation on the deep strike and the squad either doesnt come on or the flamer is out of range, so replace both weapons with plasma and flamer, be tempted to put a heavy weapon in there for those games when deep striking is not permitted
    Infantry Platoon Two
    Command Squad - 123
    Junior Officer; HI, Bolt Pistol
    Two Grenade Launchers
    Vox- Caster
    Carapace armour
    the JO with honorifica is a waste unless you kit him out a bit more, the GLs are pants

Infantry Squad- 96
    Vox-Caster
    Flamer
    Carapace Armour
    Die Hards

Infantry Squad - 98
    Grenade Launcher
    Vox Caster
    Carapace Armour
    as above
    Hardened Veterans - 102
    Two Melta Guns
    Vox Caster
    Carapace Armour
    Die Hards
    you can do tank hunting better and cheaper with special weapons squad
    Hardened Veterans - 102
    Two Melta Guns
    Vox Caster
    Carapace Armour
    Die Hards
    as above
    Sentinel Squadron- 50pts
    Sentinel with Autocannon
    interestingly I would attatch this one to the HQ and give it improved comms and use the other for AT as above
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Cheredanine, you pointed out a quite a few things I missed. Firstly, picked up iron discipline over close order drill. However, I want to give carapace a fair trial before i ditch it since ive heard good and bad opinions. If carapace is in, it'd make special weapons squads too expencive for their job so the vets stay too. If carapace goes, i'll switch the vets for specials.

Officers have had their equipment shuffled round a bit, so the squads tend to have a more clear purpouse so to speak. Hopefully you'll see what I mean if you have a second look at my list.

GL replaced by plasma.

I'm sorry, but i disagree on the sentinels. I've got ten plasma, two autocannons and a missile launcher (as well as that multi-laser if I'm desperate) which should be sufficient to take out any armour I find in 1k points, so the sentinels stay as anti-infantry support for the basic line squads. If I'm struggling to sort them out, then of course, I'll change it.

As I said, sentinels aside, you're making alot of sense, so thanks (Y)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

I like this list

I like the way you are going with this list. It fits with my idea of how Guard Armies are fielded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

, my concern about armour is more around the heavy tanks, even excluding the odd baneblade you are likely to encounter nowerdays, things such as landraiders and monoliths, but also 13 or 14 points of front armour, such as vindicators. leman Russ, Tau tanks and predetors

shooting tanks with plasma is a second best, plasma guns are anti MEQ, they can serve in an emergency for rhino busting, and I would agree that you have plenty of other stuff to bust the odd transport, so they are unlikely to get over used as such, they also should keep mech eldar at bay

But against AV13+ the MLs and Autocannon are weak, and against land raiders and monoliths the autocannon are useless, hence Las cannon in there would be my preference

Personnaly I use elysians and can not take las cannons, this is painfull, on games that allow deep strike melta guns surfice, but generally they are delivered through the use of drop sentinels which sport multi meltas and HKs, using las cannons and HKs allows standard IG to do the same, so really I am trying to convert my own tactics to suit your army which admittedly isnt necessarily ideal, but in games where I cant deep strike, taking out tanks is a major headache, las cannons take that away

That asside I like the list more now ou have sorted the weapons, I still have odd quirks, the flamer for example, but one is neither here nor there so will leave that alone, the one thing I would suggest is put the HK on the other sentinel, it is more likely to be shooting at tanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up for the HK switch.

The only problem I'd have is the land raiders/monoliths. Slightly smaller tanks, like preds or lr equivalents, I can surround and get side/rear armour. If i really wanted to take something out, put a squad of vets on each side and double tap for 12 plasma at BS4 on one target! Like I said, it's only 1k pts, so if i am fighting the big boys then i can take the moral high ground in that I'm using a pretty much balanced list. Except the moral high ground isn't all that high when you don't start with any troops on the table =P

As for flamers- excellent against light infantry, and if i am out of range then I'm only missing two las bolts.

Thanks again for the input, both of you- appreciate it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

411 (x8)

as I say, the issue arrives when you cant deep strike cos you are not playing omega level, at that point you lack the mobility to surround anyone, butobviously dont know the nature of the games you play, so try out and see seems best approach

+ Reply to Thread