[1700] SM Vanilla Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[1700] SM Vanilla Army

HQ

Master of Sanctity, Terminator Honors, Jump Pack - 145 Points

Elites

10 man Vet Squad, Sargeant with Lightning Claws, 1x Plasma Gun, 8x BP&CCW, Furious Charge
    w/ Rhino - 270 Points

Dreadnought, TLLC, ML - 135 Points

Troops

5 man Scout Sniper Squad, 4 scouts, 1 ML - 95 Points

5 man Tac Squad, Lascannon - 90 Points

Fast Attack

Landspeeder Tornado w/ HB and AC - 80 Points

10 man Assault Squad, Plasma Pistolx2 - 230 Points

Heavy Support

Whirlwind - 85 Points
    Whirlwind - 85 Points

Predator Annihilator, LC Sponsons - 145 Points

Total Points - 1620

This is the list from models I currently have and am painting up for a campaign next month at the local GW Bunker store. My opponents will always be the forces of Chaos (Necros, 'nids etc) and never IG or the imperium forces. The target is 1700 points but, being the noob I am, I have 80 points left to disperse and I have no idea where to invest it or if this army has coherancy for all around endurance in the campaign.

Any recommendations on that last 80 points or ways of making this any more solid would be great.

The idea is to use the Chappy with the Assault Squad and move them up with the vets in the rhino, the rhino providing LoS cover as they engage. It's a roughly shooty army with a few of those forward units. I was wondering if i should save points and adopt a Predator Destructor, lose the rhino and give the vets infiltration, and scrounge points where I can to field a termie chaplain and termie command squad but felt they'd be too slow for this army.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i havent played games that large very often, nor am i a expert. but from looking at your list its very compact and simple :happy:

ideas to use those points are:

-bolt pistol for your chappy for shooting and cc (if u have the stock jump chappy it has one on it)
    -bolter marines and scouts, 5 man squads wont last long and suffer from shooting/morale tests. best if you keep thier number even so 6 man minimum.
    -another landspeeeder would not hurt
    - if you can, grab some plasma/hvy bolters for nids and necs
    -beefing up that assault squad sergeant, Powerfist ftw!

all lascan preds are great anti-tank and anti Big n' tuff stuff, but little else. since u have a anti-tank dread and 3 lascan teams consider getting heavy bolter sponsons instead of lascanns to add versatility while keeping the twin-linked for staying power.

other wise i like the list:ballon:
    "In the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king"
    "Pray to the emperor, but keep rowing to the shore!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice! The campaign I'm making this for is for the local bunker stores Battle for Corvus prime so I'll be facing off against a wide variety of opponents. I was down at the store today chatting with some other gamers that were just working on their models and the same suggestions were placed on me then too.

Taking yours and their suggestions into account here's an updated list;

HQ

Master of Sanctity, Terminator Honors, Jump Pack, Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol - 161 Points

Elites

10 man Vet Squad, Sargeant with Lightning Claws, 1x Plasma Gun, 8x BP&CCW, Furious Charge
    w/ Rhino - 285 Points

Dreadnought, TLLC, ML - 135 Points

Troops

5 man Scout Sniper Squad, 4 sniper, 1 ML - 95 Points

6 man Tac Squad, Lascannon - 105 Points

Fast Attack

10 man Assault Squad, Plasma Pistolx2, Melta Bombsx5, Sargeant w/ PFist - 280 Points

Heavy Support

Whirlwind - 85 Points
    Whirlwind - 85 Points

Predator Destructor, HB Sponsons - 110 Points

Total Points - 1701

Two things though, is that Scout squad legal with 4 snipers and 1 ML? as well, the same, is it legal to take only 5x Melta Bombs on a full 10 man squad of Assault Marines?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm first things first though, beside your questions theres a problem with the list.

its ur chappy , he comes equiped with a crozuis arcanum as standard...... meaning he already has a power weapon to start of with........ and with that bolt pistol on top thats 3 weapons......he's only allowd 2

remedie: drop the power weapon, he'll get his shots and extra attack from the pistol...... and still ignore armor saves ;Y. also good to double check his final points cost

for your questions: yep those scouts are legal, but the melta bomb issue is iffy.

i have never really known but i maintain the general rule= if i buy nades for one, i get them for all (unless the model has special acces.... like ur sarg, but hes got the fist already)

however it's still perfectly fine for the 5 bomb since its for vehicles, if they where frags that might have been different

also, with any free points (you really dont need 5 meltabombs, with that power fist... 2-3 is good) maybe grab another scout with a sniper rifle..... more rifle shots and its an even squad

-sonu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can tell how often I field chappy's, i thought the crozious wasn't a power weapon at base. Okay so that frees up 15 points, I'll reduce the Melta bombs by 1 and remove the bolt pistol since i shouldn't need it from armory, that will still leave me with 4 melta bombs, no change at the HQ level, and I can put in the extra sniper, thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hehe good to hear, i still say a bolt pistol is worth it, but if you've used up all 1700pts then gratz! something i rarely am able to accomplish is using every last drop of pointage

good luck and have fun 8Y

-sonu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well he has the bolt pistol in his base cost with the crozious right? I meant i remove the 1 point BP from the list, because he already has it?

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by Eigen View Post
    Well he has the bolt pistol in his base cost with the crozious right? I meant i remove the 1 point BP from the list, because he already has it?
    A Chaplain comes with a Crozius and Rosarius (his Invulnerable save) standard. The rest, like jump packs, bolt pistols and the like must be paid for.

The Chaplain that you're taking should cost 136 points, if I remember everything correctly (been some time since I used the normal Marine Codex since the Blood Angel rules were released).

You'd do well to drop the sniper rifles on the Scouts - they're really only good at taking out things like C'tan, and you already have plenty of lascannons in your list.

Your Veterans would probably do best like this:

Veteran Squad
    Veteran Sergeant
    - Bolt pistol
    - Power fist
    7 Veteran Space Marines
    - bolters
    - 1 with plasma/melta (your pick)
    - 1 with power weapon
    - All have Infiltrate.

This will allow you to put your enemy under pressure from the start, as you can get in range to start hammering him with bolters almost straight away. The addition of a meltagun will enable you to better deal with things like Wraithlords, Dreadnoughts and other vehicles where a plasma gun will give you the ability to put some serious hurt on units with good armor saves (Chaos Space Marines, Necrons, etc).

Your Tactical Squads would probably benefit from having plasma guns. They have half decent range when remaining still, and their high strength and low AP compliment the lascannon nicely.

As for taking only 5 melta bombs, to my knowledge that's never been legal, so I'd either take ten or none at all (frankly they make your Assault Squad an even higher priority target, so I'd drop them so they become less expensive).

If at all possible, try to squeeze another las/plas Tactical Squad into your list.

Good luck,

Katie D

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Don't take Katie D's advice...unless you want to win games, that is! LOL Actually her advice is Spot-On (as always).

I often do give my Assault Squads melta bombs, but like Katie said, it is buy all 10 or buy none. I don't think this makes them a higher priority target. They are already very high for anyone with sense, but it DOES make them more expensive. You already have lots of anti-tank, so I think the points could be better spent elsewhere. Adding plasma guns to your tac squads is an excellent place to start.
    Last edited by 4theEmperor!; November 29th, 2007 at 19:20. Reason: corrected spelling
    Once a Marine, always a Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well thanks for the feedback! The only thing I'm not sure on is the Vet Squad makeup without the transport, I know some of the board I'm going to be playing on are almost entirely open. I was hoping to use the Rhino to get in there just as fast as the Assault Squad and hopefully use it for some LoS cover. If I were to use infiltrate (like i have with my 1000 point army I did for fun) I'd be in there just as quick or quicker but they would have no cover. From player experience what might be the better choice? Especially since Tau and Eldar are popular, I know I'll be facing a few of those

+ Reply to Thread