1500pt Space wolves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

1500pt Space wolves

Have a game against a couple friends at the end of the week, felt like giving my wolves something to do; and maybe some one or something to tear apart. I wanna use my wolves, but at the same time I also wanna give my Salamanders a try so I'll probably be posting up another list later today or tomorrow...:C

I will be sticking with some of the fluff for my wolf company, such as being mostly mechanized and having no blood claws, but I am not going to be fielding my wolf companies wolf lord, battle leader, or awkward squad sizes.

HQ:
    Venerable dreadnought Bjorn the Fell handed
    Assault cannons; extra armour

Wolf-priest Alric Spiritwolf
    Healing balms; frag grenades; wolf tooth necklace; runic charm

Elites:
    Pack Sven
    4x Wolf scouts
    plasmagun; 2x plasma-pistol

Troops:
    Pack Morkai
    10x Grey hunters
    Plasma gun; 9x bolters; 2x power weapons
    Rhino
    Extra armour; smoke launchers

Pack Heimdal
    8x Grey hunters
    Meltagun; 2x powerfists; 8x frag grenades
    Rhino

Pack Tyr
    8x Grey hunters
    Meltagun; 2x powerfists; 8x frag grenades
    Rhino

Heavy Support:
    Pack Egil
    5x Long Fangs
    2x Heavy bolters; 2x missile launchers

Pack Kjarl
    5x Long Fangs
    2x Heavy bolters; 2x missile launchers

Total: 1498

So what do you all think?

(The runic charm was put on the priest at the last moment, because I had twelve points left over and no idea what to use them on.)

Last edited by darkreever; November 27th, 2007 at 01:42.

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

This doesn't seem like a bad list... one thing I am curious about is the set up on your Long Fangs... I notice that you have 2 heavy bolters and 2 missile launchers, habe you thought about changing out the missile launchers in one unit for lascannons or multimeltas to give them some armour hunting stuff.

Besides that though it seems to be a nice army but what will you be facing???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

186 (x8)

Orks, sisters of battle, and a radical inquisitor.

I was thinking of using plasma-cannons over missile launchers for one of the long fang squads, but I don't have the thirty points for the swap. (Ditching runic charm gives me ten of those points for any of the other two heavy weapons but I still come short no matter what.)

Its a good idea, I jsut don't have the points for those weapons (not to mention the downsides to using some of those weapons.)

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

One of the things that you could think about which would get you the points is dropping one of the units of 8 grey hunters and replacing them with a unit of blood claws... he would free up some points and allow you to get the plasma cannons and also blood claws are great against the three opponents...

I normally run lots of blood claws because they are cheap and devestating on the charge against any opponent... 4 A each on the charge... and throw that Wolf Priest in with them...

Just a thought... I love your grey hunters but those armies seem to be ones you want to assault, as you don't want orks assaulting you, sisters armies like a good fire fight and they will win with the fact that they will outnumber you... with the inquisitor force its a bit different but Blood Claws make a mess of Grey knights... their 25pts each!!! so they have to kill 2:1 ratio of your claws to be making their points back which they won't do as claws armed with some fist and power weapons wreak absolute havoc on them...

Just a thought though that would free up some points and give you as many models and add some slightly harder hitting close combat units...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

186 (x8)

Just so you know, radical inquisitors usually do not have access to grey knights if they are from the daemon-hunters codex.

And while blood claws are good, it detracts from the fluff of my army if I'm using them. (And I did say in the first post that I was not going to be using them because of that very thing, always fond of an interesting challange.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah the list looks great, i'll just suggest a couple ideas

-if you know you'll be playing orks, a hvy flamer on that dread would be nice
    -just wondering what weapons the wolf priest would be rolling with? also did you have any plans on what squad you'd have him with? i haven't used a wolf priest much but it seems like his healing potions and other abilities work super well with the SW's.
    -i like the squads of greyhunters with the rhinos, but i also kinda agree with Malkieth on the bloodclaws. as much as i love greyhunters they just don't seem to get all of the job done. but at the same time i know you said you didn't want to use blood claws and i have not tried playing space wolves using just greyhunters, so i do now know how it runs.
    -the long fangs also look good except they are very expensive and very vulnerable if not placed well. also if you can somehow squeeze in the pts for them try to at least throw in 2 lascannons instead of missile launchers.

again it seems like a solid list, i like the idea of having two long fang squads, but again i advise caution with them! lol but it seems like this list will do pretty well against any well balanced army. let me know what you think, and after you do play please let us know how it goes! hope this helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

186 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by stabec View Post
    -if you know you'll be playing orks, a hvy flamer on that dread would be nice
    Not a bad idea, it take won't use his high BS but you are right that it would be good against orks and probably even elements in the radical army.

-just wondering what weapons the wolf priest would be rolling with? also did you have any plans on what squad you'd have him with? i haven't used a wolf priest much but it seems like his healing potions and other abilities work super well with the SW's.
    Seeing as wolf priests come standard with a bolt pistol and power weapon and I haven't given him anything else, thats probably what I'm going to be running him with. As for the squad, its a toss up between packs Tyr and Heimdal.

-i like the squads of greyhunters with the rhinos, but i also kinda agree with Malkieth on the bloodclaws. as much as i love greyhunters they just don't seem to get all of the job done. but at the same time i know you said you didn't want to use blood claws and i have not tried playing space wolves using just greyhunters, so i do now know how it runs.
    Its a trade-off really, if the grey hunters go without bolters than its their three attacks at a higher weapon skill than the blood claws four, or if they do than its the constant two attacks at the higher weapon skill to the four/two at a lower weapon skill.

On another note, I'm also considering using a Salamanders army instead of this space wolf one; its on another end of the spectrum in that its all drop pod but I am still not entirely sure which one to choose from because of the strengths and weaknesses of both lists. The Salamanders list can be found (1500pt Salamanders)here if anyone cares to see it and/or has any suggestions for that one.

+ Reply to Thread