First Try Pure GK 1500 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Try Pure GK 1500

So as the title states I'm trying to figure out how to start buying and I found the best way is with a list, so here it goes.

EDITED LIST:

HQ

Brother Captain

Retinue
    5x Terminators

Troops

10x Grey Knights
    -Justicar

9x Grey Knights
    -2x Psycannons

Heavy Support

Land Raider
    -Extra Armor
    -Smoke Launcher

Land Raider Crusader
    -Smoke Launcher
    -Hunter Killer

Dreadnought
    -AC
    -CCW + Incinerator
    -Extra Armor
    -Smoke Launcher

I dropped the psy hood, psycannon bolts and psycannon on the Termi. With that I bought two grey Knights and added them Psycannon squad. Instead of adding the two and the hunter killer, I could add a small unit of Kasrkin to get another troop and make the psy squad FAGK. Thougts?

Last edited by SaintScythus; December 19th, 2007 at 14:28.

Digamma Decimitio Duodecies-Death Destruction Doom

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

HQ: The psi hood isn't really needeed because of the inherrant AEGIS rule that all your grey knights get. Give one termie a psi cannon and considder getting another for the brother captain.

Troops: If these squads are travelling in landraiders then why spend points on the psi cannon? They will probably only fire once per game. Better to have squads of 10 with only storm bolters.

Land raiders: PAGK don't really need taxis as the storm bolter allows you to footslog and give a devastating stormbolter covering fire at up to 24" range. Swapping 2 land raiders for 2 dreads with LC/ML would keep the ranged AT firepower and allow you 10 more PAGKs or FAGKs. If you keep the landraiders drop the HKs as they have to use machine spirit to fire both TL LCs anyway unless they stay stationary. Considder LRCs as they cost the same.

Dread: OK.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

With the rise of psychic powers in the more recent codexes -- and you'd be surprised what's possible even from the new Ork Wierdboyz! -- having a psychic hood necessarily isn't a bad idea. Most psykers are LD 10, and when testing against LD 9 GKs (assuming the Justicar is still present), you'll want every advantage you can get. That said, I think for the GKs, it's definitely a second tier option to be taken only when you have the points for it. I'd think about psycannons and sacred incense before opting for the hood.

I also agree with Mad Cat about the psycannons. If you're mounting squads in the raiders, you want a single incinerator instead. Or vanilla, no frills. But psycannons on PAGK squads aren't all that useful in any capacity save as static fire support. They cost you additional GK models, plus turn the model carrying the weapon into a lame-o space marine. If you're assaulting, you want and need all the punch you can muster.

Mad Cat is also correct about the land raiders. GKs don't need them for transports, but there's a growing number of DH players who make great use of them as such. It's a challenging way to play the army, but definitely viable. You're wise to take two, no matter whether they transport GKs or operate empty.

I would definitely change up your dread configuration however. If you want assault support, drop the TLLC and use the assault cannon instead. You can still pop armour in a pinch, if required, but at 1500 pts, your land raiders can probably absorb all the enemy anti-armour firepower while dishing out the same. The TLLC is just such a miserable weapon for use on the prowl for a fight. The AC beats it hands down at that role.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Good list, but I think that we could make it a little more efficient on points.

Lose the psychic hood.

EITHER give the Lascanon Dred a Missile launcher OR lose the lascannon in favour for the Assault cannon/DCCW load out. I suggest the later.

If you really want a psycanon squad, I suggest that you take one PAGK from each squad and put them in a new squad. Exchange two psycanons for two more PAGKs and give them the last two psycannons in the new 4 man squad... drop the Hunter Killer missiles to buy yourself the justicar for the squad.
    Now you have two 8 man squads of vanilla PAGKs (including the Justicars), a mini purgation squad that can just sit back and shoot without comprimising the range of the psycanons, and everything else is pretty much intact.
    It's worth a krak!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

178 (x7)

Good first attempt.

I would:

1> Drop the Psycannons from one squad and make the squad a 10 man Vanilla version. This squad will Travel in a Landraider. Make the other squad a Six man squad with two Psycannons to save points and these guys just sit back and shoot.

2> Make one of your LRs a Land Raider Crusader for your HQ, I don't like deep striking. If you must deep strike these guys have a Psycannon on the BC and one in the squad.

3> Drop the Hunter Killers.

4> I would drop the P-hood as well for points.

5> With the list you have, I would make the Dread an AC/CCW version. With the one I recommend, I would make it a LC/ML version.

Overall though, a decent list.

Cheers, and good luck.

DH
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for the number of LC complaints I made a typing error it was supposed to be a AC. I like the list Diggums suggested, I really don't want to drop the Land Raiders, I need them for Transport and Fire support badly even if I was to drop them for Dreads. I think I want to keep the psychic hood, because as number 6 said any advantage I can get I'll take. Also in my game group there are quite a few Eldar players and losing a BC or a GM to psychic war is pretty careless, with that here's the revised list:

HQ

Brother Captain
    -Psychic Hood

Retinue
    5x Terminators
    -1 Psycannon

Troops

10x Grey Knights
    -Justicar

7x Grey Knights
    -2x Psycannons

Heavy Support

Land Raider
    -Extra Armor
    -Smoke Launcher

Land Raider Crusader
    -Smoke Launcher
    -Psycannon Bolts

Dreadnought
    -AC
    -CCW + Incinerator
    -Extra Armor
    -Smoke Launcher

-1500 On The Dot

Is giving up a Land Raider for a Crusader really a good idea, I lose a lot of my long ranged fire power by doing so. I may change the dread to a LC/ML variety for this reason. I had 35 points left over so I added a Knight to the psycannon group and Psycannon Bolt to the LRC, if these points can be spend better else where I'm probably up for it. So how does this revised list look?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

951 (x8)

This list looks better. You could put the terminators in the LRC and use the psi cannon troop choice as long to medium fire support. I would swap the terminator psicannon out if you do this for an extra grey knight or an incinerator.

Alas psicannon bolts don't work through hurricane pattern bolters. Pity.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

I AM the Evil Twin! Jared van Kell's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1466 (x8)

Drop the psychic hood on the Brother Captain, he really does not need to be honest.

JvK :happy:
    Basically life sucks, there is only war and you're probably gonna get eaten by Tyranids, have fun.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/trek_hmm.gif

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Jared van Kell View Post
    Drop the psychic hood on the Brother Captain, he really does not need to be honest.

JvK :happy:
    If what you're truly concerned about is losing your HQ models, or GKTs at all, then you don't need the pychic hood. It won't provide any extra protection that will help. It's really only useful to give you that extra LD edge when trying to ward off psyker powers aimed at your PAGKs, who will be LD 9 with their Justicar. Remember that you can't use both a hood and the Aegis to ward off a psyker power. It's one or the other.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dropped the hood on both lists and I came up with an alternate list with a GM, because he is superbly better than the BC. Here it is:

HQ

Grandmaster
    Retinue of 4x Terminators

Troops

10x Grey Knights
    -Justicar

8x Grey Knights
    -2 Psycannon

Heavy Support

Land Raider
    -Smoke Launcher
    -Extra Armor

Land Raider Crusader
    -Smoke Launcher

Dreadnought
    -Smoke Launcher
    -Extra Armor
    -AC/CCW

Comments on this list, better than the first?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast