1500pt Friendly Space Wolf List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500pt Friendly Space Wolf List

Hello all. Just want to say off the bat that this is the first ever Marine list I've put together. I'm usually a Tau or Eldar player but I had a cool idea for some fluff and needed an army to match it. Please tear this list apart I need all the suggestions you can throw at me.

HQ- Wolf Lord
    Terminator Armor
    Lightning Claws (pair)

Venerable Dreadnaught
    Assault Cannon
    Heavy Flamer

Elites- 6 Wolf Scouts
    2 Power Weapons
    1 Melta

Troops- 9 Grey Hunters
    2 Power Fists
    3 Power Weapons
    1 Melta

10 Blood Claws - Rhino
    Plasma Pistol
    Power Fist

10 Blood Claws - Rhino
    Plasma Pistol
    Power Fist

Heavy Support- Leman Russ Exterminator
    Hull-mounted heavy bolter
    2 heavy bolter sponsons

Land Raider

I plan on attaching the Wolf lord to the Grey Hunters pack and putting them in the Land Raider, after that I have no clue. Thanks in advance for the help.

KaHoS

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    182 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by kahos_angel View Post
    Hello all. Just want to say off the bat that this is the first ever Marine list I've put together. I'm usually a Tau or Eldar player but I had a cool idea for some fluff and needed an army to match it. Please tear this list apart I need all the suggestions you can throw at me.

HQ- Wolf Lord
    Terminator Armor
    Lightning Claws (pair)

Nice selection... but from one point you can take him obviously but having him on foot is a waste of points as he won't make it to the enemy, ok most of them. In the other hand you can take a Rune Priest or a Wolf Priest... but again not on foot again.

Venerable Dreadnought
    Assault Cannon
    Heavy Flamer

The better option is to field it on a Drop Pod and throw it to the enemy... If you have the points. Or change the weapon config to Lascannon and Missile Launcher for AT support.

Elites- 6 Wolf Scouts
    2 Power Weapons
    1 Melta

Nice elite selection. Operate Behind Lines means you keep them off the table and take them out on your opponent's edge... and the massacre begins... I would change the melta though if you have the points for a plasma! Oh I forgot the OBEL does NOT work on Apocalypse games...

Troops- 9 Grey Hunters
    2 Power Fists
    3 Power Weapons
    1 Melta

Now I think you have too many weapons... I don't have the Codex here but I think you have too many power fists and power weapons in total... I think...

10 Blood Claws - Rhino
    Plasma Pistol
    Power Fist

Nice...

10 Blood Claws - Rhino
    Plasma Pistol
    Power Fist

Nice too

For all the armor you have there and given you have the points available give them smoke launchers... in doing this you raise the survivability of them...

Heavy Support- Leman Russ Exterminator
    2 heavy bolter sponsons

Land Raider

I plan on attaching the Wolf lord to the Grey Hunters pack and putting them in the Land Raider, after that I have no clue. Thanks in advance for the help.

That's a nice tactic... Keep in mind though that the LR is a fire magnet and with so many troops in... The other tactic is to move all the tanks against enemy using cover and smoke launchers and drop them near the enemy lines... too near if I was you! On the other hand have the Leman Russ and/or the Dread for AT support... I think I covered it all...

KaHoS
    Cheers man and Happy gaming year!
    Thanks to all the people showing faith in me

I sometimes feel that everyone will leave me and they will be on their own...

I AM the Evil Twin! Jared van Kell's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1466 (x8)

Firstly I would recomend putting the wolf lord on a bike and giving him a frost blade to improve his fighting abilities. Move him alongside your blood claw units.

I would drop the land raider and take two six strong units of grey hunters in razorbacks with twin-linked las-cannons. This way you gain a lot more serious anti-tank firepower that can be in more than one place and is not such a fire magnet.

Hope this helps

JvK :happy:
    Basically life sucks, there is only war and you're probably gonna get eaten by Tyranids, have fun.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/trek_hmm.gif

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HQ- Wolf Lord
    Terminator Armor
    Lightning Claws (pair)

Venerable Dreadnaught
    Assault Cannon
    Heavy Flamer

Elites- 6 Wolf Scouts
    2 Power Weapons
    1 Melta

Troops- 9 Grey Hunters
    2 Power Fists
    1 Melta

10 Blood Claws - Rhino w/ smoke, extra armor
    Plasma Pistol
    Power Fist

10 Blood Claws - Rhino w/ smoke, extra armor
    Plasma Pistol
    Power Fist

Heavy Support- Leman Russ Exterminator w/extra armor
    2 heavy bolter sponsons

Land Raider w/ smoke, extra armor

Thanks for the advice guys. The razorback idea was really good, but I didn't want to use that many vehicles and the bike would mean that I would lose the term armor on the lord. I might try it as a proxy though. Also the power weapons were wrong and have been corrected and I added extra armor to everything and smoke to the land raider and rhinos
    Last edited by kahos_angel; January 3rd, 2008 at 17:27. Reason: forgot to put extra armor on the russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    155 (x2)

The plasma pistol is a waste on the Blood Claws since they are BS3, I would drop it for a second power weapon on each of those squads.

For the point cost a predator with autocannon & heavy bolters is much more effective then the Leman Russ.

I assume that your Lord is going to join the Grey Hunters and be placed in the Land Raider? Personally if I am going to take a land raider I would much rather have the Blood Claws in it since they benefit from the charge much more then the Grey Hunters do. It seems to me that you have the Blood Claws & Grey Hunters reversed. I would put the hunters in the Rhinos and the Claws in the Land Raider.
    Primary Army: Tyranids; Secondary Army: Space Wolves

It's Illeagle, but it' s not that illeagle. - John Public

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x2)

In the original post you mentioned that you were aiming to make an army based on fluff. Does this mean some of the elements are untouchable?

As Platy said I would drop the russy for a predator, though I would equip it with the lascannons over the autos. I think that for symmetry the troops are fine as is with the Greys in the raider and the BCs in the rhinos though I would also take the plasma away from the BCs in favor of another power fist in each squad. You might also consider a melta in each of the BC packs as a vehicle heavy army will be very hard for you to overcome as things stand.

Lastly I feel that your Ven Dread could benefit a great deal from a drop pod. It can allow him to get into the thick of things early and not be left all alone by the rest of the army speeding off in their vehicles. Your enemy can easily circumvent getting into close combat with a 6" lurker, but will find a drop podding dread almost impossible to avoid. I think all in all it would be worth losing a few troops for the points.
    "A word to the wise is infuriating." - Hunter Thompson

Projects: Warhammer 40k: Checkmate & JohnPublic's Board

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about the drop pods though. Do I have to put my entire army in pods also or can I just drop pod the Dread? sorry for the stupid questions but its my first time with marines. Also, a lot of my list is the way I want it to run with the fluff, basically the story goes that an expedition hunting for necron tombs, finds a group of ancient stasis pods that have the last remaining members of a clan that died out 37,000 years earlier and they previously didn't know about due to it being lost to history. Theres a lot more to it and I rely heavily upon the Battletech universe and Clan Wolf, so pretty much everything but the heavy support is the way I would like for it to be with the fluff (unit upgrades aside), but I'm still open to suggestions if it looks like this list will get pantsed all the time, no use having a fluff army if you can't at least win some of the time.

KaHoS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x2)

The drop pod rule in the Space Wolf codex was replaced when the fourth edition marine book came out and we are instructed to use that instead of the one in our codex as per the FAQ 4.1. So in short, yes, you can mount the ven dread in a drop pod without using them for the entire army.

As far as the Russy goes it's not so horrible and it will come in extremely handy against swarm armies, but the predator is just so much more cost effective against all comers. If you like it though I would stick with it and hope that when the wolves get their revamp that it becomes more effective, it certainly can't become any less.
    Last edited by JohnPublic; January 4th, 2008 at 08:25.
    "A word to the wise is infuriating." - Hunter Thompson

Projects: Warhammer 40k: Checkmate & JohnPublic's Board

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    155 (x2)

I agree with john that you need the drop pod on the Ven Dread, also he iterated my points that I felt were most crucial. Though if you are going with a las pred I would prefer the Destructor with las sides, since it is a fair bit cheaper and still works well for tank hunting.
    Primary Army: Tyranids; Secondary Army: Space Wolves

It's Illeagle, but it' s not that illeagle. - John Public

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the help and advice guys. I think I may proxy this army a few times before I see it though and I'll post an update when(if) I get it all done.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast