2k vs spacewolves (campaign) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2k vs spacewolves (campaign)

Ok so the battle is soon to come so I sat down and did the army list. Comment on it and offer advice on it. First off may I point out I had a chat with people who have played my opponent and he generally does a full drop pod army when he plays his wolves. It helps him get closer to the enemy as he says... well little did he know of the power known as MYSTIC.

So here goes.

HQ
    Inq Lord + Psycannon + Full retinue (3 x acolytes, 3 x Servitors with PC and 2 x HB, 2 x familiars, 2 x sages, 2 x mystics) = 243

BC + Psycannon + 3 x Terminators + Psycannon = 249

Elites:

Eversor = 95
    8 x Celestians + Superior + 2 x Melta = 157

Troops

IST x 8 + 2 x Plasma + Sergeant = 120

PAGK x 8 + justicar = 250

FA

FAGK x 8 + Justicar = 250

Seraphim x 8 + 2 x Inferno + Superior + PW/PP = 251

Heavy

Dread TLLC + ML = 140
    Dread AC + DCCW + SL +EA = 118
    Dread PC + DCCW + SL +EA = 128

Total 2001

Why the sisters:

Well 2 groups of sisters means 2 faith points always usefull to the Seraphim both for the extra initiative and whatever else may be necessary.

The seraphim are the most mobile unit and can be used to capture objectice or to kill any armor he may have (hence infernopistols) but also to close in from a flank and attack any unit that has managed to tie down my Grey knights. Also dont forget the twin linked infernos prolly mean a couple of marines (or even terminators) are sure to die.

The celestians... well I was pondering normal sister for 2 points less a piece but then I thought... hatred... meaning always hit on 3s and further more they have I4 so they will at least strike in order and not die immidiatetly. Lastly they are pretty decent for their points and can have the 2 meltaguns to shoot at approaching marines and take of a few models before they hit the Grey Knights.

Why the strange dreads.

Well Originally I was planning to have the TLLC/ML dread next to the Inquisitor so he could have it fire at the landring drop pods and have the other 2 dreads help my grey knights. Then I thought, why not swap an Assault Cannon for a Plasma Cannon so it can scare him more and ensure a few kills before they reach me.

The IST's are there for the 2 plasma guns and will be positioned close to the inquisitor so that if he has scouts entering from behind me they get to shoot them a bit without having to waste all the shots from a grey knight squad.

Ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Insert Witty Comment Here Goblin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    67 (x2)

As i have never played spacewolves, and especially never played a drop pod army, my advice is limited.

However, spacewolves are going to out melee you, and seeing as how they have drop pods, they will be on you fast.

Key thing to remember, they are not going to come all at once...

So here is what you do, when they land, load as much firepower into them after backing away a bit.

Try to dimish his ability to have effective landing spots. (Remember keep your troops with 2-inch spacing, less room for deepstrikers to land)

Keep everything on the table from the get go. I would not deepstrike a soul! Reason being i would have that much firepower to take out any lone deepstrikers...

Also worth thinking about, and i think i need some clarification on this, but i do beleive that models exiting a drop pod count as leaving a transport, and thus do not count as deepstriking. It is simply that the method used for determine where their transport option (the droppod) lands is similar to deepstriking, thus they use the same rules.

Drop pods are shot from low orbiting ships... Heh, thus they are not deepstriking.... Deepstriking is models randomly teleporting (more or less) into a specific spot on the battlefield from some other random place in the galaxy (think star trek teleporting, only more chaotic). If deepstriking was models being shot out of a vessel on low orbit, i dont think any troops would make it to the ground safely heh!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On that last sentence of yours you are wrong.

Deep striking can mean any number of things. For example Grey Knights deep striking can be that they got dropped by a Thunderhawk. People on jump pack may "deep strike" on some armies as per gliding. Others just teleport.

The drop pod counts as Deep Striking. Hence the mystic sees it coming with his whateveron vision of doom. After all there is a GW Grand Tourney to back me up somewhere outthere (dont have the link right now).

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

You list looks like it's be fun to play, but it "feels" slow to me. If you can't muster 14+ Sisters to hoof it, I feel like Sisters of Battle should be mounted. I have doubts about the ability of your Celestians to reach an assault in good shape. Mount 'em, and you've got a different story.

Also, while your ISTs are fine, I feel like they should be sacrificed to make way for a transport for the Celestians, after which the spare points would go to increase numbers in your squads. (I'd first max out the Celestians, then I'd get more GKs.) It would mean slotting your FAGKs as Troops, but that is rarely a hardship.

The other thing you could do is drop down from Celestians and just take regular Sisters. As I noted, if you can get 14 of 'em, they make great footslogers. (In which case, I'd favor stormbolters over melta guns.) But mount up 10 of 'em in a Rhino -- VSS for Faith -- and they're nearly as good as Celestians but at a cheaper price. Frees up more points for those infantry count boosts I suggested, too.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I generally go with what u said at 2000 points... no ISTs and a unit of Sisters with VSS to back them up and give the faith point (also I dont generally give her nothing but a Book of St Lucius so on an assault I can remove her and gain another faith point for the seraphim through Martyrdome).

But...

From what I read about Wolves and what I have heard about my opponent he plans to come to me...

so I thought why not take something that can actually last in an assault. ie always hits on 3s and strikes at their initiative (unlike sisters with their I 3 and WS 3). Hence celestians, for 2 more points I get better leadership, better WS and better Initiative... to me that was a bargain... but I lose the chance for Martyrdome unless the whole squad dies.

The meltaguns are there in case I get a shooting at one of the drop pods, the mystic can assign anyone within 12 inches of him to fire (if u have 2, and I do have 2) hence if he drops all around the place its good to have people to take the shots on the pods.

In case he has any armor, the seraphim and the TLLC/ML dread will have them as priority.

Other than that I also generally put down full squads of GK. But... this time I added the DCA to try them out and also cause I think that if they assault a drop pod unit they should annihilate it (because it will have a crappy formation allowing no strike backs) if they charge it and then consolidate on the next enemy unit.

What someone told me though is... that I should not have spend 120 for 1 IST group with plasmas but for two... hence 2 -4- man IST groups with 2 plasma guns each. Yea I know what u are gonna say... "ARE YOU NUTS? 4 men is just giving free points away". But then I think... would you spend a round of firing at 60 points worth or spend ur round firing at Grey Knights... especially if u just drop podded right next to them and if u dont kill them they will assault u next round?

+ Reply to Thread