1850 Space Wolves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x2)

1850 Space Wolves

There have been a lot of Space Wolves lists around lately and I don't want to be left out of the mix so I thought I would post up this 1850 list that I have been considering. It is a change from my normal lists in that it contains a much hyped land raider crusader. LRC's and Land Raiders in general have always appealed to me, but my tendencies toward risk management have prevented me from adding one to my wolves. There is something very scary about setting down a vehicle that costs, with its passengers, nearly a quarter of the cost of my army. I've almost decided to throw caution to the wind though and barring a sudden change of heart am going to pick up an LRC very soon.

-

Rune Priest - Frost Blade, Bolt Pistol, Wolf Pelt, Frags [105]
    Wolf Priest - Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol, IWA, Wolf Pelt, Frags [99]
    Venerable Dreadnought - Assault Cannon, CC arm, Storm Bolter, Extra Armor, Drop Pod [190]

Wolf Scouts (4) - Meltagun, Plasma Pistol x2 [86]
    Wolf Guard Pack Leader - Powerfist, Bolt Pistol, Wolf Tooth Necklace [56]

Grey Hunters ( - Bolter + CCW x5, Powerfist + Bolt Pistol x2, Meltagun, Rhino w/ Smoke [234]
    Grey Hunters ( - Bolter + CCW x5, Powerfist + Bolt Pistol x2, Meltagun, Rhino w/ Smoke [234]
    Blood Claws (11) - Bolt Pistol + CCW x7, Powerfist + CCW x3, Meltagun [198]

Land Speeder Tornado - Assault Cannon, Heavy Bolter [80]
    Land Speeder Tornado - Assault Cannon, Heavy Bolter [80]

Predator Annihilator - Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Extra Armor [135]
    Whirlwind - No Options [85]
    Land Raider Crusader - Smoke [268]

The Priests each accompany one of the Grey Hunter Packs. The WGPL is kitted out to act as a mini character and is attached to the Blood Claws who have the privilege of being transported in the LRC.

-

I realize the one item that sticks out is the whirlwind. In a perfect world of powergaming and tournaments I would replace it with a third Tornado, but at some point stacking in assault cannons just seems dirty and I feel the whirlwind gives my wolves some much needed character in an otherwise cookie cutter list. I am tempted to remove it in an effort to squeeze in another predator, but am unsure where those points would come from. Besides, I've always been a whirly fan.

I also know that the scouts are leaner than most people play them, but I like to keep them cheap and effective. The three special weapons allow them to come in and immediately attack rear armor or dev squads. Their low cost keeps them potentially "points worthy" even if they are decimated the turn after they arrive.

So there it is, have at it.

Thanks,
    JohnPublic.

"A word to the wise is infuriating." - Hunter Thompson

Projects: Warhammer 40k: Checkmate & JohnPublic's Board

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    155 (x2)

Great list JP as usual.

I would really try to find a way to pick up a rune staff on your rune priest though, especially with the new chaos codex and the great psychic powers it has. I really like that you are taking a whirlwind, and I totally agree with your comments on it.

Personally I prefer a power fisted WGL with my scouts but in general I think your list is spot on.
    Primary Army: Tyranids; Secondary Army: Space Wolves

It's Illeagle, but it' s not that illeagle. - John Public

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice list, like it a lot, very well balanced.

My suggestions would be to take the rhinos out of the grey hunter squads and replace them with drop pods. To me, drop pods are so much more worth it and they are probly the safest transport out there. I know that after the grey hunters get out they have to foot log the rest of the game, but the rhino would probly get blown up soon enough anyway. Also take out the whirlwind for the points. I would then put the rune priest in ruinic armour and the belt of russ and put him on a bike. I would also put the wolf priest in termi armour and let him join the blood claw squad.

That way, when the blood claws come out and assault witht he wolf priest, they can dish out so much pain, and they can get revived by the wolf priest if some failed armour saves come around.

The Rune priest himself can possibly be unstoppable if you jet boost him to the right places at the right time.

these are just some suggestions, but you probly shouldnt listen to me, I've been known not to win many battles. :/ but o well, I'm still kinda new at the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x2)

I feel rhinos work better in this list than drop pods. I know you are a huge fan of pods and I myself like them a great deal, but something about rhinos is appealing. Sure, they are super lightweight and typically ruin any chance their squads have of being effective by exploding and pinning everyone inside, but I still like and use them. Call me old fashioned, call me obtuse, but do not call me unfluffy.

I am very tempted to put one of my HQ independent characters in the LRC with the blood claws, but my sensibility just won't let me. If my opponent does manage to take out the raider early at least I will have only lost a pack of claws with it and not a character too. Risk Management and conservativeness ftw?

There have to be more of you wanting to leave a reply. Hrm. If the "Post Reply" doesn't seem to work the first time give it another tap. Refresh the page if you have to. Get those comments posted.
    "A word to the wise is infuriating." - Hunter Thompson

Projects: Warhammer 40k: Checkmate & JohnPublic's Board

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see many heavy weapons in your army, but you do have...7 powerfists! I was going to suggest another predator in favor of the whirlwind but looks like you have it pretty much down pat. Although i do like predator annilators, even though you have all that weaponry it would still be good for early game shooting, unless it gets blown up, but hey, thats one less shot that could blow up your magnificent LRC (btw, those metal hurricane bolters need some serious glueing, and make sure they give you the right parts! twice have i seen the metal parts not been correct, my multi melta had two right shields, but what could i do, send them back a half built LRC? not likely)
    Move forward and stay quiet brothers.

Check out my half finished blog here.

+ Reply to Thread