Revised 1000-pt Inquisitorial Strikeforce - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    No King Rules Forever Dawnrunner's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

Revised 1000-pt Inquisitorial Strikeforce

This is a revision of the earlier 1000-pt Inquisitorial Strikeforce list that was met with some rather violent criticism. I made a few alterations based on my reactions to that criticism, so here it is...

Inquisitor Lord Cavarien with power stake, bolt pistol with psycannon bolts, and Divine Pronouncement psychic power
    Acolyte with carapace armor and Brazier of Holy Fire
    Acolyte with power armor and mancatcher
    Crusader
    Veteran Guardsman with plasma gun
    Servo-skull
    Rhino transport with extra armor, smoke launchers, and Hunter/Killer missile
    Total 271

10x Battle Sisters with meltagun and flamer
    Total 126

10x Stormtroopers with meltagun and flamer
    Total 115

Veteran Superior Melyssa with power sword and purity seals
    4x Seraphim with twin hand-flamers and melta bombs
    Total 162

5x Retributors with 4x heavy bolters
    Immolator transport with holy promethium, extra armor, and smoke launchers
    Total 198

Exorcist with smoke launchers
    Total 138

Army Total 1010

The Emperor set a fire in their hearts that they might burn the iniquitous and the impure from his sight. And the light of that flame shall be as a beacon to the faithful, a light that shines in the darkest places.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

I'd swap the plasma gun into your storm trooper squad and put the flamer or melta into the inquisitor's retinue. You have a whole retinue of close combat models and then one guy with a rapid fire weapon? Doesn't make sense.

veteran sisters veteran sisters veteran sisters

The entire point of the sisters of battle is their faith based special rules! If you're not going to put veterans in the squad you should be taking allied marines.

No King Rules Forever Dawnrunner's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

People keep telling me that, InquisitorAffe. I don't buy it, and I'm frankly disgusted at how shortsighted everyone seems to be.

First off, would it kill anybody to be nice about their posts? You could start out by saying what you like about the army, or what you think might work, instead of just saying what's bad. Constructive criticism is the name of the game, people. If you don't want me to scrap the entire army, you should say which parts I should keep. And at the end of the day, it's my army and not yours, so common courtesy dictates that you make polite suggestions rather than coming in and commanding "add this, take out that, etc." Remember your manners, children.

Second, if anybody can think of a way to fit Veteran Superiors into this army list while keeping it under 1000 points, I'm all ears. This is NOT meant to be an Apocalypse-scale army or a 2500-point army, or even a 1500-point army. This is 1000 points, which essentially means the bare minimum. Points efficiency, you guys. All non-essentials must go. Only two more Faith Points would be added to the pool if I made each Sister Superior a Veteran, which makes a grand, whopping total of three. BIG EFFING DEAL! I highly doubt I'll do any better with three Faith Points instead of just one. The points cost to add two more Veteran Superiors and kit them out is just not efficient, and I never intended to depend on Acts of Faith to win my games for me anyway.

That brings me to my third argument. For all you Adepta Sororitas purists out there (and I suspect you are, InquisitorAffe), listen up: this is not a pure Adepta Sororitas force. Whoa! Such a radical idea! Get over it. In a pure Adepta Sororitas army, Faith definitely takes a more prominent role. I can appreciate that. But if this were a pure AS army, I would have a Canoness with a bodyguard of Celestians and a second squad of Battle Sisters instead of the Inquisitor and the Stormtroopers. That would give me a bigger base amount of Faith Points, and so adding more Veteran Superiors would make more sense pointwise. In such an army, I would probably have upwards of five or six Faith Points, and all my units would be able to use Acts of Faith. But neither the Inquisitor nor the Stormtroopers can use Acts of Faith. Neither can the tanks, for that matter. That leaves three units able to use Acts of Faith in my army. Again, points efficiency. It just doesn't work out.
    Last edited by Dawnrunner; February 3rd, 2008 at 04:47.
    The Emperor set a fire in their hearts that they might burn the iniquitous and the impure from his sight. And the light of that flame shall be as a beacon to the faithful, a light that shines in the darkest places.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

For someone who complained how rude people can be you are sure insulting in your own post. Nonetheless, I will be as helpful as I can.

Your retinue really is a mishmash of models meant for different purposes. Hone in on what you want it to do.

Meltaguns and flamers don't work very well when you have to walk all the way across the board, especially not in small numbers. You have transports in other places, but these guys probably need them too.

Retributors don't really need a transport, so I assume you are using it just to get extra shots. If that is the case I think you could do better if you gave one of your other squads a rhino instead of your immolator here.

The exorcist would do better with extra armor over smoke launchers. The reason for this is extra armor will let you move out of trouble if you get hit, and you will most likely never use smoke launchers as the organ is too good to pass up for one round.

Veteran superiors will actually make quite a difference in your army as divine guidance and spirit of the martyr can be real game changers. I would recommend you get as many as possible as sisters get a great deal of "punch" with them. Acts of faith are nothing that you should dismiss, and veteran superiors need only have a standard bolter, as the faithful rule is much more important than their gear.

To shave off points I would first look at your Inquisitor and retinue, you have a lot of wasted points in there. For example why would you put psycannon bolts on a bolt pistol? Overall melee inquisitors are often looked down upon because they are inefficient, but if you really want one you should take more crusaders and a couple chirurgeons. Inquisitor squads in general are much too expensive for what they do, though they can be quite fluffy. Dropping the immolator down to a rhino would give you some points too, wait until you have more points to play around with before you start adding them in.

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

If recommending buying an upgrade for two models and switching two models you already have between units is telling you your entire army is poo and that you should play like me... well, I'd hate to think how you feel about people who actually tell you to toss the list out and buy a canoness and pile of mechanized sister squads!

It would appear that my post even begins with "I would" not "You should." I am confident that the prevailing opinion of everyone who reads this board is that sister squads should always have a veteran. If you don't want to make that change, one recommends you make a note in the list that part of the theme of the army is that the sisters are under command of the inquisitor and not being led by their own veterans, because someone is going to make the exact same comment every time you post a variant! If the army has a particular theme or purpose to it, it helps to include some information in the post. That way you can get feedback that fits without your ideas for the army. Otherwise the default assumption is that its built to win games and/or fit within the models you own.

As far as points efficiency, take Holy Promethium. Costs about the same as a Veteran Sister. If a unit with a 4+ or worse save gets hit with an immolator, it is absolutely devastating. They're going to take 25% casualties anyway. Units with 3+ or better saves all have LD 9 or 10. so inflicting an extra morale check isn't so great. Promoting a squad of your own from ld8 to ld9 and also adding a Faith Point is certainly better than an off chance of making some marines or necrons walk backward a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the one piece of advice i could offer, i would re-calculate the total for your seraphims. I keep coming to 165 not 162. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, if i am in fact correct.

Also, im not quite sure of your intent with the army (fluff, friendly, tournament?) but storm troopers usually are outperformed by SoB squads. That 3+ save is AMAZING. I assume however that you already own some storm trooper models and thats why you are choosing to use them.

If you dont mind me asking, what is your purpose of your army, and who are your main opponents going to be?
    ...and you do the Hokey Pokey and you turn yourself around, thats what its all about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnrunner View Post
    This is a revision of the earlier 1000-pt Inquisitorial Strikeforce list that was met with some rather violent criticism. I made a few alterations based on my reactions to that criticism, so here it is...
    InquisitorAffe, frozencore, while Dawnrunner's response was less than polite do realize that this is a list that most likely recieved comments and criticism which were a far cry from helpful, constructive, or positive. (While this is no excuse for the response to be the way that it was, I do understand the feeling that spawns it, having had members of LO do something similar to several of my own lists in the past.)

Inquisitor Lord Cavarien with power stake, bolt pistol with psycannon bolts, and Divine Pronouncement psychic power
    Acolyte with carapace armor and Brazier of Holy Fire
    Acolyte with power armor and mancatcher
    Crusader
    Veteran Guardsman with plasma gun
    Servo-skull
    Rhino transport with extra armor, smoke launchers, and Hunter/Killer missile
    Total 271
    As has been pointed out to you before Dawnrunner, the plasmagun really does not make much sense in your inquisitor's retinue. It does give the squad a a nice shot, but it is still a rapid fire weapon in a squad that looks to be fitted for close combat. I would recommend trying out either a flamer or meltagun to keep with the flow of the squad. (Now I don't have my witch hunter book open right now, but I do believe that the meltagun costs as much as the plasmagun for the retinue, so no extra points spent there; and the flamer would actually help to reduce those extra ten points.)

10x Battle Sisters with meltagun and flamer
    Total 126
    I actually like the meltagun and flamer in the sister squad, the two actually work pretty well together from what I've seen. (Though the squad would greatly benefit from a transport, but that would be counterproductive since you would need to drop five sisters to get it; so thats completely out of the question.)

10x Stormtroopers with meltagun and flamer
    Total 115
    I know that you are not going for an all sister army, but I actually think that another sister squad would be better off with the meltagun and flamer over the stormtroopers. (You wouldn't run into much of a points issue either, as long as you dropped the first squad down to eight and only made the second eight strong.)

However lets stick with the storm troopers staying instead; I have always thought that ten storm troopers was overkill where eight is enough to protect the two special weapons they can get. Dropping one immediatly puts your total at an even 1000, and another gives you some points to work with, though not to much. Like the sisters, I like the weapon setup; nice seeing storm troopers that aren't either twin melta's or twin plasma's.

Veteran Superior Melyssa with power sword and purity seals
    4x Seraphim with twin hand-flamers and melta bombs
    Total 162
    I haven't really had much experience with seraphim, so I'm going to make no comments with this unit.

5x Retributors with 4x heavy bolters
    Immolator transport with holy promethium, extra armor, and smoke launchers
    Total 198
    I'm going to give the same advice for your retributors as I do with marine devestator and chaos marine havoc squads; two wounds per heavy weapon is often one of the best ways to keep those guns alive and firing. I would actually advise losing your fourth heavy bolter in place of a sixth sister so that you can take three losses before the heavy weapons start dropping. It bumps up the squads efficiency a fair deal, needing to lose four models to start losing heavy weapons rather than two.

Exorcist with smoke launchers
    Total 138
    Like the seraphim, I've never really used one of these so won't make any true comments. Though your list only has two pieces of armour to speak of and half of it is going to be hidden to fire. If I were to say anything about this, it would be that you might actually want to consider losing the exorcist in place of transports for the sister and storm trooper squads and maybe even another sister and fourth heavy weapon for the retributors if you have the points and took my suggestion in altering the squad before.

Your list looks pretty cool if you ask me, though the retinue might cause you some problems in combat what with the mixture of armour. (I'm seeing two with +3 saves, possibly three with +4 saves, and at least one with a +5 save; the mixed armour rule might hurt this squad.)

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
    (You wouldn't run into much of a points issue either, as long as you dropped the first squad down to eight and only made the second eight strong.)
    SoB squads are a minimum 9 +sister superior. so 10 is the min number.
    ...and you do the Hokey Pokey and you turn yourself around, thats what its all about.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Thanks to you LO vets for not stoking the flames of an offending post. Cooler heads prevail and all that.

Remember, posting an army list on a public forum is of itself an invitation for comment. Proceeding to jab at people who do comment, especially without any offensive remarks of their own, does little to warm one's welcome to a site.
    Last edited by DavidWC09; February 3rd, 2008 at 18:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Torone_xii View Post
    SoB squads are a minimum 9 +sister superior. so 10 is the min number.
    Its a good thing I'm far from the best with any army or else things like that would be very embarrassing...:C

Dawnrunner; having read your earlier thread I wholeheartedly agree with you in that some of what Jettero posted was far from helpful in anyway. (And here I was, wishing I could hold onto the belief that no one on LO posted army list 'advice' like that anymore..)
    Also, having looked at the earlier thread, its to bad that Melyssa can't take a blessed weapon (if you had the points for it), cause that would have definitely helped her kill stuff a little better.
    Last edited by darkreever; February 3rd, 2008 at 21:33.

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast