My Greyknights - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Greyknights

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Greyknights

I just recently made the decision to take up the warhammer hobby, and managed to acquire myself an army. I wrestled with what army I should choose for a good while, but finally went with my gut and chose the Daemonhunters. I bought roughly a thousand point army and would like some feedback on my pure greyknights army...

1 Torquemada Coteaz Inquisitor Lord [with retinue] [straight out of the box] HQ
    1 squad of Greyknight Terminators [5] elite choice
    2 squads of Greyknights in power armor [5 each] troop choice
    1 Greyknights Dreadnought [basic weapons]

Does anyone have a suggestion or two as to where i should go with this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Hi BrotherDear, please make sure to post army lists (of all kinds) in the correct Army Lists subforum. I'll go ahead and move this thread for you.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

The next thing I would get would be blister packs of grey knights in power armour. Your box sets of 5, each form the basis of a squad but they work better in larges numbers. Buy 4-5 blisters to make the squads 8-10 strong. Sadly the incinerators you get in the box aren't that useful in the game. The odd one or two are ok but I & many others believe that storm bolter armed chaps are better for the points.

The terminator in you box set with the incinerator I would convert into a thunder hammer / storm shield model and then buy a blister of a Psycannon terminator to add to the squad.

The inquisitor box isn't that competetive. Certainly don't use him as the special character. Cheap and cheerful shooty inquisitors are the way to go with gun servitors and sages.

Future things to considder would be perhapse
    • Another squad of grey knights
    • A second dread with LC & ML.
    • Storm troopers in a chimera with 2 plasmas/meltas.
    • BC Stern figure makes a nice HQ figure. I suggest using him as a vanilla BC rather than as stern himself or a Grand Master.
    Much better to design yourself a 1500 point list, put it in the army list forumn and ask for advice to fine tune it then buy the remaining models to vomplete the list.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't retire your Incinerator GKs yet, though. The other day I deepstruck a squad behind some Harlequins (scary close combat Eldar unit) and thanks to the squad's incinerator I fried them all before they could reach assault. As much as people seem to despise Psycannons and incinerators on PAGK, I don't think the designers would have such poor judgment as to completely break a unit's weapon upgrades; they can be pretty useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceratcatcher View Post
    Don't retire your Incinerator GKs yet, though. The other day I deepstruck a squad behind some Harlequins (scary close combat Eldar unit) and thanks to the squad's incinerator I fried them all before they could reach assault. As much as people seem to despise Psycannons and incinerators on PAGK, I don't think the designers would have such poor judgment as to completely break a unit's weapon upgrades; they can be pretty useful.
    Agreed, special weapons can certainly be useful (just ask Diggums!). I think the main problem is how they're packaged. The box sets are just not a great mix of models, as you end up with way too many Justicars and special weapons troopers than you need (as I recall, it's 1 Justicar, 1 Psycannon, 1 Incinerator, and 2 vanilla). So whether you like special weapons or not, the point still stands: blisters are generally better after you have one or two box sets.

-H
    Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
    -George Orwell

www.drmcninja.com
    If you're intruiged by doctors who are also ninjas, then this is the webcomic for you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Incinerators are also great against Tyranids. I take them in the purgation squads against bug players and nothing kills genestealers better than setting them on fire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosnewb View Post
    Incinerators are also great against Tyranids. I take them in the purgation squads against bug players and nothing kills genestealers better than setting them on fire.
    I'm consistently shocked that this works for people. I've never had any real success with template weapons against 'nids. Almost everything they have is either Fleet (which means their charge range exceeds your threat range with the template), or tough enough to laugh off the Incinerator. I mean, if it works for you, that's great! But I just don't think Incinerators are worth it for anything except mounted units. Though, I do include one Incinerator in my Fast Attack Grey Knight squad, just in case I can get the drop (literally -- Hah!) on some Harlequins =].

-H
    Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
    -George Orwell

www.drmcninja.com
    If you're intruiged by doctors who are also ninjas, then this is the webcomic for you!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Incinerators have their uses against swarm bases and of course eldar seer councils. However I find that the occasions where you get the ultimate shot occur maybe one game in three.
    Over say three games if you get one great shot and one or two ok shots then surely stormbolters firing twice a turn every turn for 3 games will achieve more coupled with the St6 combat attacks and generally higher model count.

It takes a lot of guts to deepstrike a 10 man FAGK squad at 285 points so close to the enemy just to get a flamer shot. The risk of loosing the lot far outweigh the benefits.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

I will resist the temptation to put my two cents into the incinerator debate and, instead, reply to BrotherDare.

As I was writing the first draft of my reply, I realised that I was repeating all of Mad Cats suggestions... So, go back and read Mad Cats first post again and take his advise.
    It's worth a krak!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to agree with the earlier suggestion about picking up Storm Troopers. These guys can take much cheaper transports than the Grey Knights, cost a great deal less, and can take much more specialized special weapons (ones that aren't just AP4). You'll want these guys to bring the plasma guns and meltas to take out enemies your other Knights might have trouble with.

My favorite combo? Big IST squad riding alongside a Grey Knight Land Raider. The LR covers a Chimera or Rhino's side armor, and the amount of firepower you can put out with ISTs at close range is very impressive. Against Tyranids or Orks, your ISTs can bring flamers, plasma guns for Space Marines and Tau, or meltas for tank-heavy players. For even more fun, add an Inducted Imperial Guard Iron Fist squad or Allied Sisters of Battle Seraphim and watch your opponent shake as the Imperium's finest warriors crash down upon their lines!
    "HQ, my LOS is blocked by a soda bottle. I'm moving to unmask my guns."
    "Negative! The soda bottle is the Carnifex!"
    "Dang proxy models!"
    -Cmdr. Kren, www.tsoalr.com

+ Reply to Thread