1000pts all-rounder - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000pts all-rounder

I'm a new guard player trying to get off to the right start so just wondering about any thoughts people might have over my proposed army list so i can make changes before i go out and buy the whole thing.

HQ:
    Command Squad:
    Junior officer, honorifica imperialis, bolt pistol, iron discipline
    standard bearer, bolter, mortar
    93pts

Elites:
    Hardened Veterans:
    veteran sergeant, bolt pistol, 5 veterans, 3 melta guns, deep strike
    83pts

Troops:
    Platoon 1
    Command:
    Junior officer, bolt pistol, iron discipline, mortar
    56pts

Squad 1
    plasma gun, lascannon
    95pts

Squad 2
    plasma gun, lascannon
    95pts

Squad 3
    plasma gun, Heavy bolter
    80pts

Platoon 2
    Command:
    Junior officer, bolt pistol, iron discipline, missile launcher
    61pts

Squad 1
    grenade launcher, missile launcher
    83pts

Squad 2
    grenade launcher, missile launcher
    83pts

Fast Attack:
    Hellhound
    115pts

Heavy support:
    Lemun Russ, 3 heavy bolters
    155pts

Doctrines: close order drill, iron discipline, drop troops

Total: 1000pts

I'm just getting back into the hobby and was a long-time marine player, so im trying something new with humans who aren't encased in about three inches of power armor. i would greatly appreciate any advice.
    I was thinking about taking a commissar for the leadership, and some more doctrines and im not sure how vital it is to take all the vox's but it seemed like a good idea with all the ld7 guardsmen hanging around...

Last edited by LordDent; February 14th, 2008 at 18:40.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

Looks pretty good, but there are a few things I would change.

First off, a vox network can get expensive real quick, and if you're playing a fairly static gunline type list, you could save some points and just use leadership bubbles or Close Order Drill and Vet. Sergeants. Still, a vox network is a solid way to ensure all of your squads hold it together. Really it's a mater of fluff and flavor for what you want. Also, if you are taking a vox network, your standard in the HQ isn't really needed, since the benefits of a standard don't relay through vox.

At 1000 points, it is probably a bit of overkill to take Las/plas in your lines. Take either or, but not both. Barring that, you could always switch one to a Heavy bolter for some added line punch against a horde. Also, Lascannon or missile/meltas do not gel. One really long range anti tank weapon that requires you to stay still, or one really short range anti-tank weapon that requires you to move close. Meltas are best for Deepstriking veterans or suicide command squads.

As for the basilisk, they work best in pairs. With just one, an effective general will get inside the indirect fire range of your basilisk and make you expose it to get a shot. Since you don't have a lot of anti-infantry type heavy weapons, you might just trade the bassie for a hellhound. It won't be as effective at killing MEQ troops, but its still a pretty good way to get a lot of hits on the enemy without having to be so dependent on a guardsman's average BS. Extra armor on your Leman Russ is probably a good idea.

Some good doctrines to take are Iron Discipline for your officers, so that your guys can regroup after running, you've already got Close Order Drill so that's good, and maybe when you upgrade to a 2000 point list, Sharpshooters for your anti-tank support squads.

So anyway. Hope that helps you out.
    I think you need to spend more time on your floor.

2500 Black Templars
    7-3-3

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Agree with the above.

Drop the vox network and make the HQ into a hidden leadership bubble and equip it with a mortar so it can contribute from behind woods etc.

I would have las cannon and plasma in all 10 man squads. 5 man units should get heavy bolters or missile launchers. 4 flamer or 4 plasma suicide junior officer units can be fun but need to be kept behind hills until the enemy approach your lines deployed on the crest.

Get Iron discipline on your three officers. It is so cheap as to be almost mandatory.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

personally I wouldnt take Plasma on anything less than vets or stormtroopers, stick to grenade launchers, they are cheaper and still effective, i also like using Heavy Bolters or Autocannons over Lascannons myself, I havent got much faith at my die rolling with BS3 and single shot weapons!

I agree with the point about the Basilisk- at this point level maybe consider something like a couple of sentinels, or perhaps a stormtrooper or veterans squad to increase bodies and get some BS4 in there.
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right thanks for the advice, i've tried to implement some changes. vox system has gone, iron discipline is in, and deep striking veterans for tank killing. i also changed the basilisk to a hellhound but im not sure about this most guard players i know swear by the basilisk... also kept most of the las/plas cos every second army out there seems to be marines... any more thoughts, especially on the basilisk/hellhound issue?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by LordDent View Post
    i also changed the basilisk to a hellhound but im not sure about this most guard players i know swear by the basilisk... also kept most of the las/plas cos every second army out there seems to be marines... any more thoughts, especially on the basilisk/hellhound issue?
    It's true that there are a lot of IG players who use Basilisks, myself included, and really I can see both sides of this arguement, but one basilisk can be avoided pretty easily with basic movement, and there is nothing more frustrating that having a big shiny gun you can't shoot. If you had a pair, you could set them up in opposite corners so they could cover each other.

Also, since you're taking a Leman Russ as well, that means you only have one piece of armor that is going to be exposed to the enemy. If you add a hellhound to this mix, not only do you get an excellent anti-infantry weapon, but you force your opponent to choose one or the other. With a basilisk here, I'd simply get within the minimum range and pound away at your remaining leman russ. Plus since you're fielding a lot of las/plas, you don't have to worry so much about the basilisk's ability to defeat power/termie armor, and the you can add to your anti-infantry capabilities nicely.

I guess what it really comes down to is what you want to do though. Personally, at 1000 points I'd take either two leman russes or a russ and a hellhound. When you get to bigger games, its easier to squeeze two bassies in there and pound away.
    I think you need to spend more time on your floor.

2500 Black Templars
    7-3-3

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

Also, if you play any Cities of Death games then you you will be so pleased you took a Hellhound- they absolutely shine in this environment
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

+ Reply to Thread