2000 pts Space wolves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Toy Soldier Aficionado Wolf Guard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

2000 pts Space wolves

HQ-352
    Wolf Lord
    -Power Weapon
    -Bolt Pistol

Rune Priest
    -Terminator Armor
    -Power Weapon
    -Bolt Pistol
    -Wolf Helm of Russ

Wolf Priest
    -Healing Potions and Balms

Elites-509
    Dreadnought
    -Twin-linked Lascannon
    -Missile Launcher

Wolf Guard Terminator Squad x7
    -Terminator Armor
    -x5 Lightning Claws
    -x2 Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield

Scout Squad x6
    -Melta Gun
    -Missile Launcher

Troops-607
    Grey Hunters Pack x10
    -Bolter and CCW
    -Drop Pod

Grey Hunters Pack x10
    -Bolter and CCW

Blood Claws x8
    -2 Powerfists
    -Rhino
    -Wolf Guard Leader
    -Lightning Claws
    -Wolf Tooth Neckalce

Fast Attack-145
    Land Speeder Tornado
    -Assualt Cannon
    Land Speeder
    -Multi Melta

Heavy Support-393
    Land Raider Crusader
    -Smokes
    Predator Destructor
    -Lascannon Sponsons
    -Extra Armor

The Rune Priest will be riding in style with the Terminators in the Crusader While the Blood Claws and the Wolf priest in their Rhino will be following them. As for the Predator and the Land speeder with a melta, they will be tank hunting until the Scouts can come in. The plan with only one Grey Hunters having a drop pod (apart from only having enough points for one) is to hopefully drop it near the Terminators and Blood claws and help support them. The other foot sloggin' Grey Hunters will be slowly moving up behind the Rhino.

Last edited by Katie Drake; February 24th, 2008 at 22:31.
    The Wolf time is upon us!
    Rep for the Rep God! Positive for the Positive Throne!
    Armies: Space Wolves, Imperial Guard, Emperors Children, Necrons, Eldar

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks mean, but if you can find the points a venerable dread with extra armor is SO worth it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

89 (x2)

Yes it would be, but the point cost for a venerable dread with Lascannons and Missle Launcher is not cost effective IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x2)

First things first this should not be posted here. Please post future lists in the list section.

I would drop the Wolf Lord and make the dreadnought a venerable and use it to fulfill your third HQ slot. With the left over points you could afford a drop pod for the second grey hunter squad.

One of the beautiful things about drop pods is the ability for the passengers to arrive anywhere and shoot immediately. Put this ability to good use and give the Grey Hunter packs meltaguns. This allows them to come in and put pressure on armor in addition to troops.

Your scouts are illegal. Either you can use the scout entry in the space marine codex to give them the missile launcher or you can use the space wolf entry and give them a meltagun, there is no way to give them both.

Lastly, the dreadnought (whether you upgrade him or not) will benefit more from extra armor than your predator will. Take if off the destructor and give it to him.
    "A word to the wise is infuriating." - Hunter Thompson

Projects: Warhammer 40k: Checkmate & JohnPublic's Board

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

89 (x2)

Are you sure it is illegal? the codex says something along the lines of up to one wolf scout may choose weapons from the sapce marine codex. All other wolf scouts may only choose the following options. In my eyes this means that they may take something from the vanilla codex as well as something from the 3 options in the SW codex.

As for posting here, I know, it was a mistake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

121 (x2)

Absolutely positive. It says: "Up to one Wolf Scout squad may choose..." If wolf scouts could take a meltagun and a missile launcher you'd be hard pressed to find a list without such a unit.
    "A word to the wise is infuriating." - Hunter Thompson

Projects: Warhammer 40k: Checkmate & JohnPublic's Board

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

Remember to post Army Lists in the Space Marine Army List section.

Thread moved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I apologize for the minor necromancy here.

I wanted to point out that in the SW codex, it states that if you wish to use drop pods for a unit, then the ENTIRE army must use drop pods. It specifically states that no other models may be used in the mission (they stay aboard the ship).

I wanted to bring this up in case this ruling had changed, in which case I might bring out my Wolves again

Prax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    155 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by praxus View Post
    I apologize for the minor necromancy here.

I wanted to point out that in the SW codex, it states that if you wish to use drop pods for a unit, then the ENTIRE army must use drop pods. It specifically states that no other models may be used in the mission (they stay aboard the ship).
    I wanted to bring this up in case this ruling had changed, in which case I might bring out my Wolves again

Prax
    Check out the Space Wolf FAQ, if clarifies that you don’t have to have the whole army in drop pods.

As for the list here are my comments:

Lord: I would put either a frost blade or lightning claws on him…a power weapon really just isn’t worth it.

Rune Priest: As with the Lord go either for the frost blade or lightning claws (or my personal favorite the single lightning claw & a storm shield).

Wolf Priest: looks fine

Dreadnought: As JP said make him venerable and then drop one of your HQ characters, also add in extra armor to him.

Wolf Guard Body Guard: I am not personally a fan of Wolf Guard Termis but that is more just personal preference…they look ok though since you have the crusader.

Scouts: As JP stated the scouts are illegal, the codex states that one squad may be equipped with weapons from the scout entry in codex space marines and that all other squads may have the other options listed. I would suggest dropping the missile launcher & adding in 2 plasma pistols, then if you can find the points melta-bombs or power weapons.

Grey Hunters: They could really use a plasma gun & power fists, the bolters alone really don’t offer enough support to be worth it. As JP said if you switch your dread to a venerable and replace your lord then you would have enough points to give the second squad a drop pod.

Blood Claws: They look fine though I generally think that the wolf guard pack leader is too expensive to be worth it.

Land Speeders: The tornado is fine though I generally prefer an assault cannon over a melta gun for tank hunting seeing as how most of your tank hunting will likely be at the 12-24” range and the assault cannon is much better at that range against all tanks (except the monolith) and it is still good against swarms.

Heavies look good.
    Primary Army: Tyranids; Secondary Army: Space Wolves

It's Illeagle, but it' s not that illeagle. - John Public

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

121 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
    Blood Claws: They look fine though I generally think that the wolf guard pack leader is too expensive to be worth it.
    Let me play car salesman for just one second...

Let's assume that you could take three powerfists in a nine man squad of blood claws. You would do that everytime, correct? This theoretical squad would be 162 points without special weapons or a transport.

For just twenty points more you can have this squad that would be a no brainer for 162, and I'll throw in an extra leadership, an extra powerfist attack in CC, and I'll upgrade one of the members to a higher weapon skill, higher ballistic skill and I'll give him access to the armory. If you figure that each of these three add-ons is worth five points you're only five points shy of a done deal, right? Well, let me tell you what you're buying for that extra five points. Fluff. Glorious, glorious fluff. (I'm throwing in the higher fist-per-model ratio for free.)

Nothing is scarier than an assault army coming at you where every single pack is being led by the equivalent of an Independent Character. Just the opportunity to place the tooled up model on the board is worth the whole twenty extra points for me sometimes.

I'm not advocating a WGPL for every pack every game, but they are definitely worth it for packs that you plan to get stuck in, but are not already being led by an Independent Character.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the WGPL is an even better deal for Grey Hunters. In that case you are only paying an additional 14 points for the WGPL over an extra powerfisted marine.
    Last edited by JohnPublic; March 18th, 2008 at 17:10.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast