First attempt at 2000 point IG army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First attempt at 2000 point IG army

HQ - 483 points
    ---
    Senior Officer w/ Bionics, Carapace Armour, Refrector, Frag/Krak, MC PowerFist, Storm Bolter
    4 veteran guardsmen w/ Frag/Krak, storm bolters, CC weapons, carapace Armor

Special Weapons Support. w/ 1 democharge, 2 grenade lacunchers and 6 meltabombs

Commissar HQ Advisor w/ bolt pistol, MC Power Weapon and Refrector

TROOP - 932 Points
    --------
    Infantry Platoon
    Junior Offier with 4 guardsmen
    Inf Squad. 1 verteran segeant and 9 guardsmen with 2 grenade launchas

Infantry Platoon
    Junior Offier with 4 guardsmen

Conscript Platoon
    5 Conscript Squads. 10 Conscripts and 1 Grenade Launcha

Conscript Platoon
    5 Conscript Squads. 10 Conscripts and 1 Grenade Launcha

HEAVY - 585 Points
    -------
    Heavy Weapons Platform
    Junior Officer and 4 guardsmen
    Anti Tank Support with 6 guardsmen and missle launcher

Heavy Weapons Platform
    Junior Officer and 4 guardsmen

leman Russ Tank
    Lascannon Hull Weapon
    2 Heavy Bolter Sponsons
    ----------------------------------------

Well, there you go. Its ncredibly Grenade Launcha heavy and I know I need to address that. I guess my plan is to have the HEAVY SUPPORT to deal with tanks, the Command Platoon to deal with more tanks and also the CC the heavy units and then shed-loads of infantry to tie up the opponent and spread his concerns across all of them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

Right lets have a look at this list:

HQ:

Way too much wargear we arent marines so drop ALL of the wargear in the command including that off the commisar and dropping the vets back to normal grunts and lets have a look at what they should have for their counterattack role.

This first stripping saves a whopping 180 points that is more than I spend on a russ!!!
    right first off. Make the officer a Jo with HI and give him a powersword simple and effective. next give hima bolt pistol. Now get a vet with standard so thats 26 points spent so far now you could purchase a regimental standard for some added fun but i'll leave that out for the moment. Now give the commisar a powerfist and bolt pistol. The commisar cant be targetted in assault like your officer. Next youhave three normal guys so give them laspistols and CCW. This is a simpel setup and and does lose a little impact however there are important things to remember here. They are guardsmen and their armour is really expensive and not very effective outside assault. As you have no way of getting them into assault they will be shot. this is where the grunts come in they are extra wounds and no more perhaps one extra vet with a bolt pistol maybe. As for frags you dont want to be assaulting into cover but they arent expensive so buying them back isnt too bad. This squad should be counter assault not assault they are guardsmen remember this.

The special wepaons squad needs to drop to either have jsut a demo and a couple of flamers or just plain be dropped. either way get rid of those melta bombs very expensive and pretty much useless. This squad also has no way to reach the enemy so dropping it would be the best idea.

Troops;
    Firstly the squads are illegal. They are allowed a single special wepaon it clearly states this in their entry so drop it down to one special weapon. The veteran sarges are serving no purpose as you have no doctrines so they need to go. the command squad shave no wepaons at all they ae useless and need to be doing something. I suggest perhaps some command for your men as you have a lot of poor leadership troops to look after.
    The conscripts pay over the odds for weapons which they are worse at using, this is a stupidity of GW (marines get weapons cheaper and get to use them better) aside form the game balance issues these guys shoudl have flamers and be used as a screening force. I also think that having two large squas worth is a little excessive one squad should do. You will be better off with more normal men with decent weapons.
    These guys also have no leadership so be very careful with them. Or get independant commisars.

Heavy support;
    I liek the amount of weapons but simply put these woudl do better spread elsewhere. The command squad could take two squads from one platoon with the other three launchers in the line squads. This gets rid of a command squad saving more points. Also the command squads are again blank and need a purpose so get them mortars or something!
    The russ is on its own. It will die. At this level people have a lot of anti tank capable units so it isn't worth it. Go all infantry as you are nearly there swap the russ out for a platoon of heavy bolters (heavy weapons platoon if you like). Also get some autocannons in the heavy support for variety.

As for the bit at the bottom. If you take out the illegal grenade launchers it is actually not that grenade laucnher heavy at all I have a min sized platoon with 5 grenade launchers in for example. It doesnt need addressing it needs supporting by other weapons.
    Your heavy support will certainly deal with the majority of tanks althoug at this level a trio of lascannons is advisable for those tougher vehicles.
    the command platoon was supposed to be anti tank??? the suicide squad was close but not that good and the command had no way of crackinga decent tank. The guard powerfists are 2 points less strength than the marine fists dont get confused, also Krak grenades are just plain rubbish. As for their CC potential. One of my commands would have wiped it clean out for far less points. (lots of powerswords and getting the charge in (I use a lot of mech)tbh even if I didnt the powerfist goes last).

Overall this list isn't that great it is a nice idea but has several fatal flaws. The uber command which isn't. The lone tank which will be the target of all anti tank. the platoons being illegal and a lack of different weapons. Also there is no leadership whatsoever.

What you need to do is strip this list down of everything that you may not need so yo uonly have the essentials.i can easily strip this lis down by 746 points and lose very little effectiveness (this does include a squads worth of conscripts). Basically you have a 1500 point list with far to many add ons.

Don't let this put you off totally just start off smaller and work your way up try a 1000 point list first then build on that.

Hope that helps

A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm, thanks for taking a look and feeding back. Seems like I need to do quite a bit of work!!

I'll have a rethink and repost later today maybe.

I have a battle coming up next week which will be a 2000 point battle (it'll probably be against Eldar or Tau), so I could start with a solid 1000 and add another 1000 to it but I wouldve though it'd be a more effective army if it is made to work at 2000 from scratch

its funny you should say about the SM army, as the races I normally fight as are SM, SoB or Chaos...not that I wiin many battles with them either;o

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HQ - 397 points
    ---
    Junior Officer with Honorifica Imperialis, Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol, Frags
    Retinue. Single Veteran standard bearer and 3 guardsmen with laspistols/CCW and frags
    Commissar Advisor with Power Fist and Bolt Pistol
    Sentinel Support Squad. 3 Cadian Pattern Sentinels
    Anti Tank Support Squad. 3 Heavy Weapons Crews - 1 Lascannon, 2 Missile Launchers

ELITE - 260 points
    ------
    Ratling Squad. 10 Ratlings
    Independant Commissar. 3 Commissars

TROOP - 777 points
    ------
    Infantry Platoon. Junior Officer with 2 guardsmen retinue and Heavy Weapon Crew using Heavy Bolter
    3 Infantry Squads. Sergeant and 9 Guardsmen with Grenade Launcher
    Infantry Platoon. Junior Officer with 2 guardsmen retinue and Heavy Weapon Crew using Heavy Bolter
    3 Infantry Squads. Sergeant and 9 Guardsmen with Grenade Launcher
    Conscript Platoon. 5 x 10man Conscript Squad with Flamer

HEAVY - 335 points
    ------
    Heavy Weapons Platform. Junior Officer with 2 guardsmen retinue and Heavy Weapon Crew using Lascannon
    Anti-tank Support. 3 HW Crew using Missile Launchers
    Anti-tank Support. 3 HW Crew using Missile Launchers
    Anti-tank Support. 3 HW Crew using Mortars

Right, this doesnt match quite up to 2000 but I was thinking of using Chem-inhalers but I'm not entirely sure what counts as a unit...yes thick of me. So for example the HQ platoon...is that 4 chem inhalers? 1 for officer, 1 for retinue, 1 for commissar and 1 for the 3 support squads?

An infantry platoon would be 5? 1 for JO, 1 for retinue and 1 for each of the 3 infantry squads?

Or is it dependant on how I put my men together, so seeing as I can split up say the HEAVY SUPPORT choice into 4 (JO and 3 seperate HW Crew) would that be 4 costs?

+ Reply to Thread