[1,850 Imperial Fists] Drop Pods, Assistance Needed - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

[1,850 Imperial Fists] Drop Pods, Assistance Needed

Hi All,

The Imperial Fists bug has finally bitten and I painted a Command Squad. They're probably my favorite chapter, and certainly my favorite paint scheme. "Who needs camouflage? I want you to know I'm coming!" 8Y

In writing my list, I'm trying to make it reasonably competitive, but also avoid elements that I feel are not particularly Fisty or just plain don't like.

For reference: I do like Orbital Assaults, Terminators, large Squads, Veterans, Command Squads. I don't like...Jump Pack Fists or pretty much anything with an armor value. (Why ride around in a tank when you're basically wearing a tank in the form of Power Armor.)

The idea of the list is to have the Captain's and the Librarian's Squads at the front, leading the Assault, with the Tacs and the Dreadnought providing fire support and combat support. Even the Devastators have the capacity to tip the balance of a melee in their favor if they run out of suitable targets. Also, in case my Reserves Rolls don't quite fly, there are no small squads to be completely screwed. The large squads are in preparation for the introduction of the Combat Squads rule.

I ask that you all critique my list and assist me in the tweaking of it. If you're interested in feeling my army's concept please imagine yellow Drop Pods falling from the sky to the sounds of the first movement of Holst's "Mars, the Bringer of War" from his "Planets" suite.

Traits
    - Suffer not the Works of Heretics
    - Death Before Dishonor

HQ
    - Master: PW, Combi-melta, TermHon, Furious Charge, Halo, Drop Pod
    - Command Squad (x5): PG, Apoth, Standard, Champ, VetSgt w/PP+PF
    - Epistolary Librarian: Terminator Armor, ForceWeap, Stormbolter, MightHeroes, FearDark

Elites
    - Venerable Dreadnought: Armor, Smoke, Drop Pod, AC, Flamer, Furious Charge
    - Terminator Squad (x5): AC, Sgt w/2LC, Drop Pod

Troops
    - Tactical Squad (x10): ML, MG, Tank Hunters, VetSgt w/PF+BP, Drop Pod

Heavy Support
    - Devastator Squad (x10); 4 Multimeltas, Tank Hunters, VetSgt w/PF+BP, Drop Pod

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Inquisitorial Aspirant librisrouge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Heavy Weapons with tactical squads bite when using drop pods, consider giving the Vets. combi-bolters (melta or plasma)

Also, you command squad has no give. Every casualty costs you, consider removing some things or finding a way to add more bodies.
    'An open mind is like a fortress with its walls unguarded and its gates wide open' -Blood Ravens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

hi

I imagine it'd be very fun to play a Drop pod army but have never played against or with one (think its time I should wtite one), anyway I have seen a guy at local GW use one twice, he got slaugthered twice, so they've never appealed to me very much. Anyway after that leanthy intro heres what I think of the list,

Master: PW, Combi-melta, TermHon, Furious Charge, Halo, Drop Pod

I'd rather have a BP on there for the extra attack, and if he's with a command squad does he really need a halo? I'd drop both for 35pts.

Command Squad (x5): PG, Apoth, Standard, Champ, VetSgt w/PP+PF

O.K I have to admit I really love tooled up CS too, but with every casulty hearting its bad news, what I'd suggest is dropping the standard and PG (never give assualt squads rapid fire weapons) to buy an extra marine, this way you have 3 bodies before you start taking points heavy causuties. This saves 20 points which I'd use to give furious charge, cheap but effective.

Epistolary Librarian: Terminator Armor, ForceWeap, Stormbolter, MightHeroes, FearDark

Very nice, for fluff I ddon't use L's but sometimes I really wish I could. sigh

Venerable Dreadnought: Armor, Smoke, Drop Pod, AC, Flamer, Furious Charge

Cool, but lose furious charge (not needed at S10 and pos venreble too because your in drop pod so will take limited incoming fire, if you do this you saved 65 in conjuction with the master aswell.

These can deep strike anyway so why do they need a drop pod?

Is MM assault? if so I'd go with that over Ml if not I'd genrally steer away from heavy weapons if your going to drop pod, in this case it'd be O.k to drop tank hunters aswell to save yet more points

Devastator Squad (x10); 4 Multimeltas, Tank Hunters, VetSgt w/PF+BP, Drop Pod

Cool, I'd drop 2 members again to save points.

If my calculations are correct you saved about enough for a second dread in drop pod, which is what I'd do with the save points, if not theres a lot of easily saveble points which could get yourself another unit, Hope this was helpful

Gilli
    Last edited by gilli247; March 27th, 2008 at 23:27.
    Armies: Space Marines: 3500pts
    Space Wolves: 2000pts (in Progress)
    Click here to join Travian: http://www.travian.co.uk/?uc=uk5_662

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by gilli247 View Post

These can deep strike anyway so why do they need a drop pod?
    While they can deep strike already, if they were to get a bad scatter roll they could come in to close to the enemy or impassible terrain and be destroyed. A drop pod offers some protection from this, allowing for the squad to be brought closer to the enemy and that much closer for the lightning claw leader to get into combat.

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Hi

I take your points, but for 30pts its a little dear don't you think? He can easily save quite a lot of points to get another unit, A teleport homer for 5 points could be an idea, but then theres no gaurnte that the commander will get there first.

Gilli

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

Thanks so much for all your assistance. I've begun paring down and making things a little more efficient. All the Wargear and Upgrades all seem so useful, it's hard to resist taking all of them.

How's this?

Traits
    - Death Before Dishonor
    - Suffer not the Works of Heretics

HQ
    - Master; TermHon, Frags, PP+PW, Furious Charge
    - Command Squad (x5); Apoth, Champ, VetSgt w/PF+PP, Drop Pod
    - Epistolary Librarian; TermArmor, ForceWeap, StormBolter, FearDarkness, MightHeroes

Elites
    - Dreadnought: Armor, Smoke, Drop Pod, AC, Flamer

Troops
    - Tactical Squad (x10): MG, VetSgt w/PF+BP, Drop Pod
    (- Scout Squad (x10): VetSgt w/PF+BP, Homer) Maybe? Or would these guys take too much fire? Perhaps a combat-oriented Veterans Squad dropping in would be better?)

Heavy Support
    - Devastator Squad (x10); 4 Multimeltas, Tank Hunters, VetSgt w/PF+BP, Drop Pod

I have a little less than 200 points left over, but I'm unclear of where to put them?

If there's anything the list is really good at, it's close-range fire. Decent anti-tank, decent close-combat ability. I fear it may lack in melee ability, though.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Hi

Yeah I know I fall in the trap on my Command squad quite often too, but I think the list is getting better, heres what I think:

Master; TermHon, Frags, PP+PW, Furious Charge

Much improved, I'd still look to drop the 15pt PP though

Command Squad (x5); Apoth, Champ, VetSgt w/PF+PP, Drop Pod

Again much better but I really would consider one more body, think devastor squad, 1 body to every 1 specilist. Also have you given all extra members CC and pistols (don't want rapid fire). Furious charge for 18 would be really useful, although it does make all members more expensive.

- Dreadnought: Armor, Smoke, Drop Pod, AC, Flamer

I see why you've given a drop pod on the termies, but not sure its needed, it doesn't really matter though. Like what you've done with the dread.

Cool, it is much better without the heavy weapons in.

O.k so you've got 200pts left, assume thats without the scouts which I don't think you need as they will as there the only thing on the board and so on the first turn will be annilated. Umm with the 200pts I would spend 30 on C squad (like suggested on there post) I think with the remaining points an assault squad qould be nice to grap a table quarter and give you some melee power which you said you lacked, also mobility which you lack after you've deep striked (downgrade the L with jump pack or go with a chaplain) but since you don't like them I won't insist. I'm not sure about vetrans as I don't like there weapon options. A termintot assualt squad perhaps? You'd have to lose the drop pod or not put points ob C squad, hope this helps,

Gilli
    Last edited by gilli247; March 28th, 2008 at 11:49.

+ Reply to Thread