drop commands - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: drop commands

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

drop commands

I was wondering if it is a good choice to use command squads as drop squads. I was thinking of arming one with 3 melta guns and a plasma pistol and using to bust rear armour on tanks

also What about the special weapon squads with 2 plasma guns and a demo charge for a drop squad. I think it would be a real threat to diembarking rhino squads or termie squads later in the game

The 3rd drop squad would be a 8 man squad of vets with 3 melta guns and one plasma pistol. the rest with shotguns. its almost certain to fry a tank with bs 4.

would these be productive squads to use ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My opinion on the special weapon squads is that tank-busting is a waste, because you could give them a demo charge and flamers, which is one of the most effective anti-terminator units in the guard. I used to use deep striking vet and stormtrooper squads for suicide anti-tank missions, but I've realized that they are more effective as a unit with staying power.

Command squads might be the way to go, because you typically have extra, and you can take up to four special weapons, as opposed to three in the vet squad (and that would be your only vet squad unless you spend a doctrine point).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or you could not rape fluff and keep you command squads alive, and also go all or nothing with drop troops.

But thats just me
    Thousand Bows (SM)
    Tau 3-1
    Tyranids 1-0
    Eldar 0-1

Tau

SW 0-1

GK 1-0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(agrees with the man upstairs(that is, the above poster))

depite that fact if your going to drop your entire force then your commanders would fulff wise drop in with a plasmagunner and/or a mortar or rocket as those are the only heavy wepons that can be dropped fluffwise, and a meltagun is even more likely than the plasmagun

besides i like fluff alot so why not equipt my force according to it :happy:

SL

EDIT: why is this in army lists? i didint notice but this is the wrong place for this.
    New Crons 1000 points painted 6/2/10
    Empire WIP unpainted (Averheim black and yellow!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

yeah i gotta agree with dacius, if you play your army dropping in only your command unit you must play your army like a headless chicken or else (this is also the reason why all my units have modeled voxs that dont do anything in game terms!)

I personally have major dislike for the freeness of drop troops, and the fact you can chop and change it at will. It should either be all drop - in the vein of elysians and such regiments - or nothing, and people who say "But my 3 beardy 3plas/lascannon vet squads are elite and so are dropped in" there is a a reason that they have the infiltrate (im pretty sure that if people look in the codex next to the hardened vet squads im sure it says something like "they use their skills and experience to work into forward positions".

/rant off... (sorry its late/early depending on how you look at it, plus alcohol is bad )

But in answer to your question, yes i think they could be quite good drop troop units if used well AND in conjunction with the rest of the company dropping in around them, as the doctrine is ment to be used (it would be like taking the mechanised doctrine and only giving 3 units chimeras).

As I said sowwi if that sounds nasty its my entirely subject personal gripes... have fun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea when i first read through the IG codex a few good months ago, i thought the drop trooper doctrin would be cool, but in these forums, ive learned the negative conotation with armies that suicide drop their commanders in whenever they have an extra doctrin point, while i might make an all drop army in the future, ill stick to foot slogging for now.

SL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

I have found these squads to be invaluable. They don't always work, as DSing isn't a sure thing, but when they do, by by Landraider or Broadside etc. An 80 points squad you can affort to waste for the potential results it can bring.

I used to equip mine with 4 Meltas, but now I usually do 4 Plasma Guns and a Plasma pistol if I have the points. 9 Plasma shots can do any squad damage.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in recent games I found i have used only on 1 comand squad as a drop squad equipped with 4 melta guns and the officer with a plasma pistol to geat success. I use the other two comands for leadership purposes, one with a hvy bolter and 2 GL and the other with a mortor and master vox.

I also dropped 2 other squads
    a 8 man vet squad with 3 melta guns and a vet with a plasma pistol
    a 6 man special weapons squad with 2 plasma and a demo charge

the rest of my army is all foot slogging. Now i have personaly found the ability to deepstrike a few units key for imerial gaurd for a few reasons

1), some artillery such a basilisks and whirlwinds can wreak havoc on a gunline and can be near impossilbe for a footslogging gaurd to reach, especially if CC is required to reach the tank

2) also if a CC does reach your line ( batterd as all hell) dropping a squad late in the game on or around objective and away from consolidating enemies can make or break the outcome of the game

3) finallly, having a demo charge in reserve or a melta gun barrage can make your opponet weary and second guess their movement and could cause a mistake that you can capitalize.
    I know i would be cautious if i drop a termie squad or desembark from a transport if a strnght 10 ap 2 template could appear from the heavens.

I know its not the flufiest of things, but dropping only 3 kinda spec ops squads seems only natural to a human infantry army, especially in the year 40k. bieng a marine corps veteran, infantry today is deployed more than ever via helicopter into battle. I could only imagine in the year 40k

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes but the "Spec Ops" roll is filled by stormtroopers, Im pretty sure it even says that in the codex, which is why they have better kit and training...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, i not agrueing the usefullness of dropping HQ's but i just dont think its fluffy unless there is at least a good portion of the infantry dropping with it, hardened vets arent exactly, special operations units either, i see their infiltrate move more as them using their experience to guide them to a better fireing spot. hardened vets in an army with all/most of the units dropping would probably also drop so it would make sence that way.

SL

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast