Newish Player: 1,500 SM Army (Significant Divergence) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newish Player: 1,500 SM Army (Significant Divergence)

Hi! I'm a fairly new player, and I'm working on creating an army for my own chapter. I want it to be fairly story driven (is that what "fluffy" means?), so it's probably not nearly as good as it could be, but I still want it to be somewhat effective in play. I want it to focus on assault and close combat almost completely, so it's probably going to be weak in a lot of situations. Here's what I have so far, but I'm sure it needs a whole lot of improvement:

Chapter: Apostles of Arlythar
    Traits: Blessed Be the Warriors, Heed the Wisdom of the Ancients
    Drawbacks: Flesh Over Steel, We Stand Alone

HQ
    I. Master of Sanctity (Arch Pontifex Vixstil'ar) <192>
    Adamantine Mantle, Artificer Armour, Jump Pack, Terminator Honours, Frag Grenades, Bolt Pistol
    Elites
    I. Assault Squad (The Pontifex's Exalted) <295>
    Furious Assault, Sergeant w/ Terminator Honours, Power Fist, Combat Shield, 2 Marines w/ Plasma Pistols, 7 Marines w/ Bolt Pistols/CCW
    II. Assault Squad (Wings of the Guardian) <245>
    Furious Assault, Sergeant w/ Terminator Honours, Power Fist, Combat Shield, 2 Marines w/ Plasma Pistols, 5 Marines w/ Bolt Pistols/CCW
    III. Assault Squad (Wings of the Guardian) <220>
    Furious Assault, Sergeant w/ Terminator Honours, Power Fist, Combat Shield, 2 Marines w/ Plasma Pistols, 4 Marines w/ Bolt Pistols/CCW
    Troops
    I. Scout Squad (Silencers of Opposition) <108>
    Sergeant & 4 Scouts w/ Sniper Rifles, 1 Scout w/ Heavy Bolter
    II. Scout Squad (Silencers of Opposition) <108>
    Sergeant & 4 Scouts w/ Sniper Rifles, 1 Scout w/ Heavy Bolter
    Heavy Support
    I. Dreadnaught (Arlythar's Fist) <170>
    Venerable, Furious Assault, Extra Armour, Drop Pod
    II. Dreadnaught (Arlythar's Eye) <160>
    Venerable, Tank Hunter, Extra Armour, Multi-Melta, Missile Launcher

Total: 1,498

Alright then, now I realize that this is probably a terrible army, but it's just an example of the theme I'd like to follow, so I'm hoping for some suggestions and improvements. I realize that the Chaplain is probably way over-equipped, but I want him to embody one of the leading figures of the chapter, so I'd like him to have some form of significant equipment, though I'm open to better options to a degree. I'd also like it to focus on assault squads, as is obvious, with very little emphasis on vehicles. Two dreadnaughts, a landspeeder squadron, or 1-2 bike squadrons are all I'd really like to use. I also realize sniper rifles are probably an odd/poor choice, but I'd like to involve them in some way, if possible. I'd guess that vehicles would totally slaughter this army, so I'm sure that needs improvement.

Anyway, hopefully I managed to make clear what I'm trying to do, and I'd love suggestions (remember, I'm kind of new to the game!).

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi mate, and welcome to LO 8Y

I don't have too much time to check the integrity of your list with regards to Traits (I don't use them) so I'll assume they're being used correctly for now.

You mentioned that your list is weak on anti-tank. Your dreadnought with the missile launcher should have a twin-linked lascannon instead of multi-melta. Add in tank hunter skill and you've got a good anti tank unit with 48" range.

Snipers are good, especially against monstrous creatures with insane toughness. Since they wound on a 4+, 10 scouts have a good chance of wounding almost anything infantry based. It may be better to swap in a missile launcher instead of heavy bolter, so you have something that can take out vehicles in a pinch.

The main bulk of your army seems to consist of assault marines. Instead of making them unbalanced squads, why not make all three squads clones of each other. This way there is no obvious center of gravity when your opponent is going to target your squads. Add in melta bombs if you can spare the points and you just increased their capabilities. Remove the combat shields since there is typically enough bodies to keep your sarge as the last casualty.

Your chaplain is very heavy in terms of points, if he's going to be attached to an assault squad most of the time the adamantium mantle is a point sink. Invest in more models or give him a powerfist and make him a tank hunting chaplain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks a lot for the advice, Firaya! I really appreciate it.

After changing things around a bit based on what you said, I got something like the following. Does it look any better, and would you recommend any other changes? I could give all the assault squads meltabombs if I take another marine out of each, for instance. Would that be better?

Chapter: Apostles of Arlythar
    Traits: Blessed Be the Warriors, Heed the Wisdom of the Ancients
    Drawbacks: Flesh Over Steel, We Stand Alone

HQ
    I. Master of Sanctity (Arch Pontifex Vixstil'ar) <137>
    Jump Pack, Terminator Honours, Frag Grenades, Bolt Pistol
    Elites
    I. Assault Squad (The Pontifex's Exalted) <265>
    Furious Assault, Sergeant w/ Terminator Honours, Power Fist, 2 Marines w/ Plasma Pistols, 6 Marines w/ Bolt Pistols/CCW
    II. Assault Squad (The Pontifex's Revered) <265>
    Furious Assault, Sergeant w/ Terminator Honours, Power Fist, 2 Marines w/ Plasma Pistols, 6 Marines w/ Bolt Pistols/CCW
    III. Assault Squad (The Pontifex's Venerated) <265>
    Troops
    I. Scout Squad (Silencers of Opposition) <113>
    Sergeant & 4 Scouts w/ Sniper Rifles, 1 Scout w/ Missile Launcher
    II. Scout Squad (Silencers of Opposition) <113>
    Sergeant & 4 Scouts w/ Sniper Rifles, 1 Scout w/ Missile Launcher
    Heavy Support
    I. Dreadnaught (Arlythar's Fist) <170>
    Venerable, Furious Assault, Extra Armour, Drop Pod
    II. Dreadnaught (Arlythar's Eye) <170>
    Venerable, Tank Hunter, Extra Armour, Twin-Linked Lascannon, Missile Launcher

Total: 1,498

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your current list is good as it is, don't take out marines just to fit in meltabombs. It's generally better to have more bodies and no meltabombs than it is to have meltabombs at the cost of marines. The bombs ultimately only serve a tank hunting purpose, and it's not exactly easy to use (check the rules, you typically need high rolls to hit with any grenades in CC). Between the plasma guns and the sergeants with powerfists you probably have enough to take any vehicles down with your assault squads.

+ Reply to Thread