Veterans and storm troopers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Veterans and storm troopers

Hey guys i wanted to play veterans in my army list but dun really know how to model veterans. Mainly cuz i cant find any boxed set of veterans. So i was thinking, just like the conscripts, can i paint gold stripes on the normal guardsmen and call them veterans?

One more thing, may i know what is the practical use of stormtrooper squads and sentinels? Sentinels seem to be a big point sink, so why would anyone use them? Thanks so much for the help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x2)

I haven't modeled any veterans yet but I was thinking that if I did I would copy GWs article on modeling snipers and use the mesh to give them ghillie suits. I was thinking I could use that look to make them look more sneaky so they would look cool while they infiltrated or actually spend the 10 points and the doctrine point to give them the cameleoline cloaks.

Watcher In The Sky Beardy_Wierdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x4)

Yes, you can paint gold stripes on them or what have you. All veterans are is more experienced basic Guardsmen so as long as they look different from the regular troops there is no problem.

Stormtroopers? Uparmoured troops, combined with deepstrike or a transport makes them a good objective taker, the hellguns are also nice against lightly armored armies.

Sentinels? I love them. A mobile heavy weapon with some armour for not all that many points. Just dont use them as your only armour or without drop-troops doctrine, as if they are on the table from the off then the enemys anti-tank weaponry will vapourise them. If there are higher priority targets or they are deepstrikeing in then you can kill off the enemy AT and then go to town on them.

Also they look good.
    The name refers to facial hair, not playing style.

Quote Originally Posted by A news vendor's stand, London, June 1940
    French sign peace treaty: we're in the finals!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

Veterans could be basic troops who just spend a long time in the field, in this case you could give them a bunch of conversion bitz, bare helmets etc.

They could also be a specially trained outfit, in which case a gold stripe would be good (although not necessarily my choice ). As they would a special outfit you could enhance their weapons, give em sickle magazines from space marine bolters and stuff like that.
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I gave my veterans a pack, it makes them stick out clearly.
    One pencil stab isn't dangerous, 20 000 pencil stabs are. Although the one pencil that hits you in the eye...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use catachan heads for my veterans. so its pretty easy to identify them on the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

If you can afford it Forgeworld do some nice Cadian veteran add-ons.

Of course it doesn't follow that "veteran" always means they have to look like a shop-soiled bazaar sale clothed in rags and hand me-downs

Military history is littered with veteran units of undoubted fighting ability who still manged to look very smart and uniform in appearance, the Old Guard, the Black Hat Brigade etc. etc.
    Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

Vorlon is that black hat brigade an LO initiative does blackhat have a secret army or something.... hmmmm just paranoia possibly?

As for the threads topic,
    There is no veterans boxed set and nor will there be. This was explained in the old codex (the one before this one) basically they were intended as a chance for guard players to convert some interesting troops! (though I thin there are some fun extras on forgeworld's site)

As far as modelling goes just browse peoples photobucket accounts and the Painting logs area for guard logs (hint go to my log for some more details its commisarlestats hordes or somethinglike that). Veterans are basically your elite so If you want them to be battle hardened then catachan stuff and extra kit is always a nice look. Stormies tend to be thought of as the better trained elite which may explain the way people model vets.

Sentinels are great. think of them as mobile heavy weapons platforms. There are a few things to remember though,

1. They are cheap so keep them that way avoid upgrades like armoured crew compartment may seem nice but can be a downer.
    2. Keep the squad size to a max of 2 models. These guys are best split into 1 per choice for maximum effect.
    3. If you use them give the enemy other anti tank choices or use them as drop units. So either in support of tanks or with a drop troop army dont footslog them in an infantry army, it may look cool but wont really play all to well.
    4. They are a chance to take the multilas which is a very very good weapon, much underated. Against rear amrour I'd rather have this than a lascannon TBH and as far as shooting others it kills marines pretty well (very likely to wound and marines usually find a way to get a save) basically you can shoot anything anywhere and not have to worry about wasting AP.
    5. Mobile anti tank is a popular use. A couple with lascannons can really help a mech list to hit home.
    6. They are good to model, much fun and a nice sized base!

Hope that helps

A
    Last edited by Commisarlestat; April 26th, 2008 at 01:27.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Storm troopers are very good units if you want an objective taker.
    Put them in a chimera or deep strike them into the place. they are our most resilient squad (other than ogryns) and can dish out enough damage to put them just above par of a normal guard size.
    "Thank him who puts me loath to this revenge on you who wrong me not for him who wrongd"

+ Reply to Thread