1850 Space Wolves Rouge Trader Tournament - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Inquisitorial Aspirant librisrouge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

1850 Space Wolves Rouge Trader Tournament

This'll be the first big tournament for my new space wolves and I want some advice on the list. Here goes:

HQ-
    Ven. Dread - Assault Cannon + Extra Armor
    Wolf Lord - Frost Blade, Bolt Pistol, Belt of Russ, Wolf Pelt, Wolf Tail
    Wolf Priest - Wolf Pelt, Wolf Tail

Elt-
    Dread - Assault Cannon + Missile Launcher
    Scouts x5 - Bolter x2, Meltagun, Plasma Pistol x2

Trp-
    Blood Claw x9 - Flamer, Powerfist x2
    Blood Claw x9 - Flamer, Powerfist x2
    Rhino x/ Extra Armor + Smoke
    Grey Hunter x10 - Plasma, Powerweapon x2, Bolters
    Rhino x/ Extra Armor + Smoke

Hvy-
    Russ Exterminator w/ HB x3 + Extra Armor
    Predator Annihilator w/ 3 LC (1 TL)
    Land Raider w/ Stormbolter

What do you think?

BTW, I don't own a crusader, in case you were thinking about that.

'An open mind is like a fortress with its walls unguarded and its gates wide open' -Blood Ravens

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

I guess nobody has any ideas so I guess I'm taking this to the tournament.
    'An open mind is like a fortress with its walls unguarded and its gates wide open' -Blood Ravens

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

Well, at least for me, LO has been down and inoperable for the last week and just started working again, so maybe that's been the problem.

I've never tried the uber mobile wolves, so let us know how it goes. You will probably want smoke for your dreadnoughts. I have a hard time with your 3 lascannon pred, but I don't really know where to get the other heavy weapons. In my experience, Predators seem to die just as easy as rhinos when facing eldar and tau, so I'm not sure what you can do about that. Long fangs are terrible, so I won't recomend that. The problem with the LR is that when you're transporting, it will be difficult to shoot the lascannons and move 12" so you may get stuck or have your rhinos blown up turn 2 and get pinned.

Against some armies you'll do alright, but against tau and eldar, I think you'll get smashed just as easily (as I did)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

I agree that my biggest problems are tau and eldar but I think that makes it onto the general "What Space Wolves bite against" list as well so I don't worry too much. The predator is there for the reasons you mentioned (I need the heavy anti-tank.)

Additionally, I'm not actually focusing on uber mobile, I'm making it an option though. The Raider is there for the same reason as the Predator, to shoot things. It can also transport in a pinch and still shoot if I need it to. The store where I play has a lot of 2-3 Chaos Raider armies and 3 Russ guard players that packing a lot of las just makes sense to me.

Any other advice? The tournament is saturday and I'll be sure to post my results on this thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x2)

My advice would be to find the points for drop pods for the dreads. DPs allow them to come in and make great use of their assault cannons right away and can also put you in range to assault the next turn. I always run my ven dread in a pod these days and it gives him much greater survivability and efficiency. The assault cannon is very powerful against rear armor and when the dread comes in on turn 2/3 it allows me a little time to clear the units that are the biggest threat to him. I highly recommend trying at least one of your two in a pod.

To find the points I would cut back to eight man packs or swap the sponsons on the predator.
    "A word to the wise is infuriating." - Hunter Thompson

Projects: Warhammer 40k: Checkmate & JohnPublic's Board

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

I really appreciate the advice but I don't have Drop Pod models and can't get them by Saturday. I am looking toward getting some for the future though and your advice cements that idea in my mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

121 (x2)

There are some fantastic templates out there that can be made very quickly out of cardstock.

That one was printed, cut out, and put together with scotch tape in under an hour. I hesitate to link the template I used as I know there have been issues with people posting them in the past. However they can be found quite easily via a google search.

Also, because there is not a games workshop model produced you are free to use virtually anything to represent your pods. The Forgeworld ones are quite nice, but they are certainly not official and tournament organizers typically have no issue with you using something simple such as a solo cup as long as it is a reasonable size and shape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Well I placed third behind a drop guard list and a Tyranids (shock stealers) list. Of the two I only played the guard list but they both seemed to be just on their game that day. I took what I posted above.

Game 1:
    I played a friend of mine who used Craftworld Eldar. His list was something like this.
    HQ-
    Farseer - I don't know the powers, he died without using any.
    Asurmen
    Elt-
    Howling Banshees x5 w/ Exarch + Executioner
    Trp-
    Guardians x10 w/ Star Cannon
    Guardian Bikes x6 w/ Suriken Cannon x2
    Pathfinders x7
    Dire Avengers x10 w/ exarch + Bladestorm and 2 Guns
    Wave Serpent with Twin Brighlance and Spirit Stones
    Dire Avengers x10
    Wave Serpent with Twin Brighlance and Spirit Stones
    Fast-
    Viper w/ Bightlance
    Viper w/ Bightlance
    Hvy-
    Falcon w/ Brightlance and Spirit Stones

They bested my land raider on turn 1 and after that everything went my way. His pathfinders got hit by my Blood Claws on turn 2 after being flamed. The exterminator took out the vipers on turn 1 and 2. The dread smashed a wave serpent in melee and my scouts gaked a stunned falcon on turn 2 before being killed by his banshees. My wolf lord murdered Asurmen, but not before he kill my wolf priest. The predator sat on a hill and fired at skimmers every round, atleast stunning them so they couldn't shoot back. The bikes were dealt with by the wolf priest, blood claws, and the hellfire dread before the priest fell.

Result: Win for Me!

Game 2:
    I played a codex marine chapter. His list was like this.
    HQ-
    Chaplain with jump pack
    Master with Fist and Plasma Pistol
    Elite-
    Terminators x6 with Assault Cannon x2
    Terminators x7 with Assault Cannon and Missile Launcher
    Trp-
    Tactical x6 w/ Lascannon
    Tactical x6 w/ Plasmacannon
    Tactical x6 w/ Multi-melta and plasmagun
    Fast-
    Assault x10 w/ Vet. +Power weapon and Plasmapistol x2
    MultiMelta Speeder
    Hvy-
    Devs x8 w/ Plasma, Heavy Bolter, Lascannon, Missile Launcher

Turn 1:
    He went first and blew the lascannon of the raider with a glance. Everything else advanced, fired for no effect, or sat pretty. (His Speeder was looking to ambush me later)
    I fired a lot into his devs and advanced the blood claws up and out. They both fired pistols into the devs, dropping them to 3 guys but they didn't run. The Grey Hunters stayed back to deal with terminators when they came and the Russ flushed with my board to avoid AV 10 access.
    Turn 2:
    No Terminators and his dread was stunned by my Hellfire and Predator. They fired to no effect and it was my turn.
    Scouts came it and light up the speeder like a match. The blood claws charged a tactical with the captain and the remaining devs, murdering the devs and locking up the tacticals (he avoided fighting with the captian. Everything else disarmed and stunned the dread and witled other tacticals.
    Highlights of the rest:
    Next turn the terminators x6 came in a blew the arm of the venerable. They were opened up on by a hellfire, two rhinos, the Grey Hunters, and the Russ and were reduced to three. Next turn they charged the Hunters in cover after shooting two dead. The Terminators never went because they were killed by Init. 10 Hunters.
    Turn 4 The Terminator x7 came in and immobilised the Russ. Two turns of double dread fire, double rhino fire and grey hunter fire/melee they were killed as well.
    I lost a squad of claws to the assault unit the reinforced the tactical squad but they didn't kill the priest and he held them long enough for the Lord and his claws to charge and murder. The priests last claws were the fisters who took the master with them.
    At game end I had three table corners and he had a six man tactical.

Result: Win for Me!

Game 3:
    I don't want to talk about it but I said I would.
    This mans guard were on fire. He had rough riders with meltabombs who blew my raider and the claw inside and turn 1 (I went first.)
    His basiliks took out all my armor until my only successful unit (claw with lord) fisted it and a demolisher.
    My scouts came in turn 5 only to do NOTHING to the rear of a Russ.
    Both Rhinos immobilized first time into terrain.
    His 3 Vet squads with 3 plasma all came it dead on and did there jobs.

In summary, I did terrible and he did great...I hate guard

Third place though. Worth while tournament

Sorry about the rough report, my wrist is killing me but I wanted to post it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

121 (x2)

Thank you for posting the results, it's always good to read Wolf reports. I'm glad you had success with the list and sorry about those guard, sometimes the dice just won't cooperate.

+ Reply to Thread