2000pt Vostroyans - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    qsd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x2)

2000pt Vostroyans

I was thinking of creating an army using Vostroyan models, and I came up with this list.
    A few things first:
    -I'd like to leave the rough riders alone.
    -Do the rough riders get +1A for having a laspistol + lance? The wording about not being able to use lances with an additional ccw seems to suggest that they don't.
    -Yes, I know that the doctrines aren't the 'official' ones, but the only ones I felt like using were Carapace and Sharpshooters, and I couldn't fit in Sharpshooters.

Doctrines:
    carapace armor
    iron discipline
    rough riders
    xeno mounts
    storm troopers

HQ
    HSO w/ bolt pistol, power weapon, ID
    -Vet w/ standard
    -1 grenade launcher
    -carapace

Mortar squad w/ carapace

Anti tank squad w/ lascannons and carapace

Anti tank squad w/ lascannons and carapace

Sentinel w/ heavy flamer and smoke

Elite
    Storm troopers x5
    -2 meltas
    -deep strike

Storm troopers x5
    -2 meltas
    -deep strike

Troops
    Platoon 1
    JO w/ bolt pistol, power weapon, ID
    -missile launcher
    -carapace
    Squad 1
    -grenade launcher
    -autocannon
    -carapace
    Squad 2
    -plasma
    -missile launcher
    -carapace

Platoon 2
    JO
    -missile launcher
    -carapace
    Squad 1
    -grenade launcher
    -autocannon
    -carapace
    Squad 2
    -plasma
    -missile launcher
    -carapace

Fast Attack
    Hellhound w/ extra armor, stubber

Rough Riders x6
    -lances
    -xeno mounts
    -vet w/ power weapon, honorifica
    -carapace

Sentinel w/ autocannon

Heavy
    Demolisher
    -hull + sponson heavy bolters
    -extra armor
    -smoke

Demolisher
    -hull + sponson heavy bolters
    -extra armor
    -smoke

Griffon

total: 2000pts

Last edited by qsd; June 1st, 2008 at 10:08.
    There is no such thing as a plea for innocence in my court. A plea for innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
    - Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by qsd View Post
    I was thinking of creating an army using Vostroyan models, and I came up with this list.
    You might want to think about it beforehand- metal models cost a lot, and for large armies such as (non-tank dominated) Guard can be quite a handful moving, etc.

[QUOTE=qsd;1166525]-Do the rough riders get +1A for having a laspistol + lance? The wording about not being able to use lances with an additional ccw seems to suggest that they don't.

No, they don't, unfortunately.

-Yes, I know that the doctrines aren't the 'official' ones, but the only ones I felt like using were Carapace and Sharpshooters, and I couldn't fit in Sharpshooters.
    The Vostroyan doctrines aren't all that effective if you use them- each model ends up costing more than a SOB, with far less survivability and firepower. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who uses the official doctrines much- I try to when I can, but it doesn't result in many victories!

*list*
    I don't have much to say to this, it doesn't seem too bad, although it does seem to lack the ability to take out much armour. Griffons aren't all that cost-effective- might I suggest throwing in the Stormtroopers doctrine instead, and taking a few squads of deep striking, small meltagun squads to help deal with the armour? Alternatively, a Basilisk would be a better selection, if you can find the points.

The sentinels, especially the lascannon one, seem to be a bit of a one hit wonder- you're only going to be hitting half the time with the lascannon. The Rough Riders seem a little large- if you're dead set on fielding them, might I suggest cutting the squad size down a bit?

I like the two demolishers, it seems as if anything getting too close to your line will be minced up, but without any real long range support it may be difficult to get your enemy to come to you.
    Last edited by Sophia; May 28th, 2008 at 16:09.
    Drag queen of LO... HAETRS GONNA HAET!
    Savlar (6k), Executioners (full company!), Farsight (500 points), Warriors of Chaos (6k), Dark Elves Cult Of Pleasure (4k), Nomads/Caledonians/ISS (infinity), Clan Wolf (BT)

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

yeah, if you take a lance it replaces the other weapons.

I think the sentinels are some of the coolest models, but not really practical. Bolter fire can take them out before they get close enough to use their flamer, and that's kind of an expensive way to get a lascannon. I would drop those and bulk up the lascannon number in the platoons (maybe put the heavy bolter in the command squad instead of the flamers in platoon 2 and put lascannons in the infantry squads.) Especially in 2k point games, there are going to be lots of tanks. Also, having smoke on your demolishers would help against those lucky shots. You could pull up 12" and pop smoke and then next turn, you can destroy the enemy by being in range. There are too many armies that can just sit back and shoot outside of 24".

By the way, I love the Vostroyan models and would love to use them as well.

qsd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x2)

Thanks for the comments/suggestions

I made some changes to the list:
    -The lascannon sentinel has an autocannon instead.
    -x2 storm trooper squads have been added.
    -Platoon 2's JO dropped all the wargear, and the 2 flamers in the squad were replaced with a missile launcher.
    -The infantry squads' heavy bolters have been replaced with autocannons.
    -The hellhound got a heavy stubber.
    -The rough riders were reduced by 2.
    -The demolishers are now fitted with smoke launchers.

Sophia:
    Yeah, I kind of figured that they would be expensive, but I wanted to use something besides my Cadians, and I don't really care for Catachans. Oh well, at least it's cheaper than FW...
    There is no such thing as a plea for innocence in my court. A plea for innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
    - Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov

+ Reply to Thread