Dark Angels Advice 1000 / 2000 point lists - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dark Angels Advice 1000 / 2000 point lists

I am just getting back into the 40k world and am starting back up with Dark Angel Space marines. Why? A. I have a mess of marines (old rogue trader/ 1st edition figures) that are in various states of being painted and will allow me to get an army going far quicker and cheaper than if I bought new; and B. It appears they were designed with the new 5th edition SM changes in place already, and C. I really like the Green / White / Black variety of paint schemes the different parts of the army list uses.

So here is a quick list I threw together based nearly entirely on what I can pull out of a box, strip/paint pretty easily:

HQ:
    Belial

Elite:
    5m Veterans Squad
    Meltagun; Multi-Melta
    Sgt w/ Chainsword

Troops:
    Deathwing Terminator Squad
    Assault Cannon
    Sgt w/ Power Sword

10m Tactical Squad
    Meltagun; Missile Launcher
    Sgt w/ Power Fist
    Transport: Razorback w/Heavy Bolters

Fast Attack:
    Ravenwing Attack Squadron
    Bike Squad; Attack Bike
    2 Bike Squad w/ Chainsword (x2); Meltagun (x2);
    1 Sergeant w/ Power Fist;
    1 Attack Bike w/ Multi-Melta

1000 points.

Once I am sure I can paint and what not I will be updating further and replacing with newer figures with a goal of having around 2-2500 points worth of Angels.

HQ:
    Belial (130 Pts)

Interrogator-Chaplain (150 Pts)

Elite:
    5 Company Veterans Squad ( 150 Pts)
    Plasma Pistol (x2); Meltagun; Multi-Melta
    Sgt /w Chainsword

Dreadnought (150 Pts)
    Heavy Flamer; Twin Linked Lascannon

Troops:
    Deathwing Terminator Squad (245 Pts)
    Assault Cannon
    Sgt /w Power Sword

10 Tactical Squad (260 Pts)
    1 Sergeant /w Power Fist
    Razorback /w Heavy Bolter

Fast Attack:
    Ravenwing Attack Squadron (215 Pts)

Ravenwing Support Squadron (100 Pts)
    Multi-Melta (x1); Assault Cannon

10 Assault Squad (290 Pts)
    Chainswords, Plasma Pistol (x2)
    1 Sergeant /w Power Fist

Heavy Support:
    Predator (130 Pts)
    Twin Linked Lascannon; Heavy Bolter (x2)

5 Devastator Squad (175 Pts)
    Lascannon (x1); Missile Launcher (x1); Multi-Melta (x2)

1995 points

Please pick it apart and let me know what I should change or where it looks good. I was aiming for a balance of the entire DA army list and at this stage I would like to end up with around 2500 points worth to have some options in fielding a force.

Last edited by mcstrange; June 2nd, 2008 at 17:23.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Ugh*Shivers*veterans Sorry I just really don't think one should pay X points for a bolter with X attacks..

Um..more tactical marines plz You really need a solid infantry base I find with this new DA codex. The more elite troops you drop in, the worse off you often are. If not tac marines, then at least more devs with nice heavy weapons.

On a side note: Belial=BEST HQ EVER OMGWTFSRSLY!!!!...;? No really he is. He's the linchpin in my entire force.

Remember, you wanted advice

Peace:happy:
    JOIN MY SQUAD IN THE SONS OF THE LIBRARIUM THREAD, I NEED TACTICAL MARINES! I PLAN TO CONVERT UP A SQUAD TO "COUNT AS" LoTD IN MY SMarine ARMY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lordsauron View Post
    Ugh*Shivers*veterans Sorry I just really don't think one should pay X points for a bolter with X attacks..

Um..more tactical marines plz You really need a solid infantry base I find with this new DA codex. The more elite troops you drop in, the worse off you often are. If not tac marines, then at least more devs with nice heavy weapons.

On a side note: Belial=BEST HQ EVER OMGWTFSRSLY!!!!...;? No really he is. He's the linchpin in my entire force.

Remember, you wanted advice

Peace:happy:
    i agree you need more tac marines, veterans are not really worth there points.
    "What good are the Imperial Guard, If not to die for the Emporer!" - Dawn of War

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

HQ:
    Belial

Elite:
    5m Veterans Squad
    Meltagun; Multi-Melta
    Sgt w/ Chainsword

Troops:
    Deathwing Terminator Squad
    Assault Cannon
    Sgt w/ Power Sword

10m Tactical Squad
    Sgt w/ Power Fist
    Transport: Razorback w/Heavy Bolters

Fast Attack:
    Ravenwing Attack Squadron
    Bike Squad; Attack Bike

1000 points.
    Not a bad list. But I would lose the power fist from your ravenwing unit. It's only a three man unit, and every member has something special. Take them only with meltaguns, and go tank/IC hunting after they help to deep strike your terminators.

As for the veterans I would advice to change their loadout. Take a lascannon and a plasma gun and they're golden.

HQ:
    Belial (130 Pts)

Interrogator-Chaplain (150 Pts)

Elite:
    5 Company Veterans Squad ( 150 Pts)
    Plasma Pistol (x2); Meltagun; Multi-Melta
    Sgt /w Chainsword

Dreadnought (150 Pts)
    Heavy Flamer; Twin Linked Lascannon

Troops:
    Deathwing Terminator Squad (245 Pts)
    Assault Cannon
    Sgt /w Power Sword

1 Sergeant /w Power Fist

Fast Attack:
    Ravenwing Attack Squadron (215 Pts)

Ravenwing Support Squadron (100 Pts)

1 Sergeant /w Power Fist

Heavy Support:
    Predator (130 Pts)

5 Devastator Squad (175 Pts)
    Lascannon (x1); Missile Launcher (x1); Multi-Melta (x2)

1995 points
    This list is also pretty nice. IMHO it need only a few tweaks. First - veterans, change their weapons like I said previosly. Power fist on bikes - like above. And finaly Devastators - 4 heavy's in a five men squad is a little to much, 3 is max in my opinion. And they would be best with 3 missile launchers. Lascannon is better on tac squads couse there it is a lot cheaper, and as for multimeltas, they have only a 24" range, and they they are really effective at 12". Not to much for a long range fire power
    "One must do violence to the object of one's desire; when it surrenders, the pleasure is greater."

Marquis De Sade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great! This is exactly what I need! I am working off of a recent game or two but otherwise my notions of the game is still vaguely remembered rogue trader army lists and poking around the internet.
    lordsauron and Fallenangels I see what your saying, if I am using the vets like a tac squad take a tac squad. Ill either take advantage of their versitility over a tac squad or just go with a tac instead. I really like the models though

mika - thanks - ill rework the weapons, more Missle, more Las, more Plasma; less Melta.

Ok, more questions before I adjust;
    - In the 1000 point army I can see wisdom in dropping the Vet squad, but I like the models and they have far more versitility - Ill see what I can come up to use their strengths or drop them for a cheaper tac squad.

- If I want to assualt with my bikes there should be a full 7 or whatever correct? If they are going to be assualt should I bother with an attack bike? Seems like a waste of the mmelta though it does have more melee attacks.

- I meant for my chaplin to be on a bike to ride in with the Ravenwing bikes, but it sounds like they shouldnt be assaulting anything.

- Should I go with a Chaplin or with a Librarian for his mental powers? Seems to me that Chaplins need to be in a squad that definately is assaulting something and quick while the librarian needs to be in a more shooty squad...

- Should I bother with the Bikes at 1k? Once I drop the CC weapons and give the attack bike a MMelta and the squad 2 melta guns the cost is 190. For that I could get another Tac squad or some other soemthing. 4 bikes vs 10 marines?

- I am thinking that with a single squad of Termies I should give them CCWs and get them into melee as quickly as I can. Would they be better off in CC or shooting for a round or two then charge in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

- In the 1000 point army I can see wisdom in dropping the Vet squad, but I like the models and they have far more versitility - Ill see what I can come up to use their strengths or drop them for a cheaper tac squad.
    Tactical squad will not be cheaper if you want a heavy weapon. So 5 vets with a lascannon and a plasma gun for 135 is a very nice unit. Also you could have a second devastator squad with two missiles for 130 points, but a few lascannons are always needed.

- If I want to assualt with my bikes there should be a full 7 or whatever correct? If they are going to be assualt should I bother with an attack bike? Seems like a waste of the mmelta though it does have more melee attacks.
    6 Bikes. Attack Bike must always detach from the squad. If you want to assault with them, then you would need a 6 men squad with 2 meltas/flamers, power fist, chaplain, and the ravenwing standard - only this way they could do some damage in assault.

But that is a very expensive squad will low numbers, and big bases which means they will be difficul to hide. Sometimes a 3 men unit with a fist can do some good, but only on rare occasions such as assaulting a 5 men unit with only a heavy weapon.

- I meant for my chaplin to be on a bike to ride in with the Ravenwing bikes, but it sounds like they shouldnt be assaulting anything.
    Like I said a 3 men squad with a power fist can do some damage, but they are really meant to shoot and to drop termis.

- Should I go with a Chaplin or with a Librarian for his mental powers? Seems to me that Chaplins need to be in a squad that definately is assaulting something and quick while the librarian needs to be in a more shooty squad...
    Chaplains are a good counter attack unit even on their own. And yes, they are design for assaults.
    Librarian is the worst HQ available on the DA dex. It can be effective sometimes, like for example riding on a bike and using his flamer - but that depends on you rolls, or in a terminator armour deep striking with a unit of termis.
    Nevertheless a chaplain or even a company master will be better 95% of the time.

- Should I bother with the Bikes at 1k? Once I drop the CC weapons and give the attack bike a MMelta and the squad 2 melta guns the cost is 190. For that I could get another Tac squad or some other soemthing. 4 bikes vs 10 marines?
    Every army needs something fast to catch objectives, or to destroy hidden fire support, or even to tie a squad with heavy weapons. 190 points maybe a little to much for a 4 men unit, but if you play smart they can invaluable. Don't forget about their teleport homers.

- I am thinking that with a single squad of Termies I should give them CCWs and get them into melee as quickly as I can. Would they be better off in CC or shooting for a round or two then charge in?
    It depends what do you want to do with them. A squad with storm bolters and assault cannon is a very good fire support unit - throw in there an apothecary, and they will be tough and dangerous. If you want to deep strike them in the heart of the enemy, you can take a mix of weapons. I used a squad with four hammers, pf and flamer/AC, standard and belial. It's a monstrous squad, with very good inv save in CC, and lots of high strenght attacks. A squad with only lightning claws, standard and belial, can also do a looooot damage, becouse they will have 4 attacks each on the charge. You can also try a unit with 2 claws, two hammers, and a power fist with a heavy weapon for a good mix of high strenght and normal initiative attacks.

mika - thanks - ill rework the weapons, more Missle, more Las, more Plasma; less Melta.
    Always glad to help
    On a side note, meltas are very good weapons, but they exel on fast units, like bikes, attack bikes, land speeders. They just have to short range for a stand and shoot squad.
    "One must do violence to the object of one's desire; when it surrenders, the pleasure is greater."

Marquis De Sade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mika View Post
    becouse they will have 4 attacks each on the charge.
    wouldn't they have 5?

2 normally, +1 for standard, +1 for charging, +1 for two weapons?
    am i missing something here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HQ(2):
    1 Belial (130 Pts)

1 Interrogator-Chaplain (140 Pts) - Hangin with Assault Squad)
    Jump pack

Elite(2):
    5 Company Veterans Squad ( 135 Pts)
    Lascannon, Plasmagun
    Sgt /w Chainsword

Dreadnought (150 Pts)
    1 Heavy Flamer; Twin Linked Lascannon

Troops(2):
    5 Deathwing Terminator Squad (270 Pts)
    Assault Cannon
    Sgt /w Power Sword
    Standard

1 Sergeant /w Power Fist

Fast Attack (3):
    4 Ravenwing Attack Squadron (190 Pts)
    2 Bike Squad Meltagun (x2);
    1 Sergeant

1 Ravenwing Support Squadron (100 Pts)

1 Sergeant /w Power Fist

Heavy Support(2):
    1 Predator (130 Pts)

5 Devastator Squad (185 Pts)
    Lascannon (x1); Missile Launcher (x3)

>1980 points. 20 left to fiddle with.

This comes out to:
    35 Foot:
    15 dedicated shooters with 7 HWs
    11 dedicated assault ass +chap
    11 flexable (Termies+ Belail and combat squad)

8 Vehicles:
    1 Tank,
    1 Razorback
    1 Dread
    1 Speeder
    4 tank hunting bikes

45 total units, 12ish heavy weapons, 4 or 5 seperate units that are mobile enough to assault faily early, and plenty of big target distractions to help spread the enemies fire around.

Look good?
    If you were going to play with this army would you want to add or remove anything?

I do need some clarification on Dark Angels rules and I guess 40 rules in general:

To take advantage of the Deathwing deep strike special rule the Termies have to come in at the begining of turn 1 right?
    So using the scout rule on the bikes I couldnt move 36 inches turn one and then drop my termies to charge into the back of something?
    So it seems to me the best use of the terms would be to arm them with guns, drop them 12 inches closer with the bikes 1st turn and walk, guns blasing into CC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by librarian lorien View Post
    wouldn't they have 5?

Hmm, that changes things. But still at the earliest I would have to wait till turn two before I could assault anything correct?

That makes me wonder if I should add the chaplain to that squad to reroll any misses... Give everyone claws, even with only 4 attacks that would be what, 24 attacks - rerolling misses and any failed wounding rolls - plus belail's attacks... ;?
    that sounds kinda sick and probably entirely unnecessary to the point of uselessness.

Oh and another question, is the standard another unit or just one of the 5 terms holds it? does that take up a hand? ie would that term not be able to wear 2 lighting claws?
    Last edited by mcstrange; June 4th, 2008 at 21:09.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by librarian lorien View Post
    wouldn't they have 5?

Yep, 5 attacks, that was y typo.
    My bad
    Thanks

@mcstrange

List looks very good, but still to many weapons on devastators

And dreadnought with lascannon should not have a heavy flamer. Heavy flamers are good when you have an assault cannon.

What you could do?

Upgrade the missile launcher form tactical squad to a lascannon and drop the lascannon from devs and from the dreadnought or predator.
    Also change the razorback to a rhino.

Now you should habe enough points for 5 more men to your devs squad and for a fourth missle lancher. Or you could just take a whirlwind.

So using the scout rule on the bikes I couldnt move 36 inches turn one and then drop my termies to charge into the back of something?
    36"? Nooooo You cannot turbo boost while using the scout move.

Oh and another question, is the standard another unit or just one of the 5 terms holds it? does that take up a hand? ie would that term not be able to wear 2 lighting claws?
    The standard needs no hands, so your terminator could have a set of lightning claws, a cyclone missile launcher on his shoulders and the standard on top of tha

That makes me wonder if I should add the chaplain to that squad to reroll any misses... Give everyone claws, even with only 4 attacks that would be what, 24 attacks - rerolling misses and any failed wounding rolls - plus belail's attacks...
    that sounds kinda sick and probably entirely unnecessary to the point of uselessness.
    And this my friend is called the über unit of doom and destruction,
    or
    550 points infront of your opponents enitre army in the first turn

Marquis De Sade

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast