1k Raven Guard, friendly - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

1k Raven Guard, friendly

Going to be playing a 2v1 game against orks by the end of the week, my teammate playing as another marine chapter. (Two 1k lists against a slightly smaller ork list.)

Traits:
    Blesed be the Warriors
    No Mercy, No Respite
    Flesh Over Steel

HQ:
    Captain
    Jump pack; pair of lightning claws; combat shield; terminator honours

Elites:
    8x Assault squad
    Terminator honours; power weapon; 8x furious charge

8x Assault squad

Troops:
    5x Scouts
    4x Sniper rifle; missile launcher

5x Scouts

10x Marines
    Meltagun; heavy bolter; terminator honours; powerfist
    Drop pod

Fast Attack:
    [Drop Pod]

Total: 1000

C&C welcome and greatly appreciated...

Last edited by darkreever; July 8th, 2008 at 22:10.

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

Why the Captain, wouldn't a Chaplain be way more effective?
    Miss Spam Master 2009
    The Briny Series: Urban War Beginnings | Cygnar
    Thrallstudios

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

186 (x8)

Sure it would be more effective but would it be all that much fun? Besides, a shadow captain leading his men might be more fluffy than a chaplain doing so...

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would say...

Drop the missile launchers with the scouts because you need AV and the sniper rifles won't mix with AV.

Upgrade the PW in the assault to fists for versatility...

Drop heavy bolter because i really cant see it working well with a melta under any real circumstances. get another one!

or make 5x w/ 1 melta and fist and 5x w/ 1 h bolter.

That's my opinion. like the list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

186 (x8)

Just wondering, when you say to drop the heavy weapon from the tactical squad and get another weapon on them, are you referring to another meltagun? Kinda shy the right trait for that.

Dropping the heavy bolter would give me enough points to swap out both power weapons for fists, and I'll probably end up doing that, but with furious charge do I really need to bother with the bonus strength from the fist?

(Will post the modified list next post.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

lose the drop pod against orks it would probably be better to try and stay back shoot them then counter charge also what type of list will the other marine player be using (shooty assaulty balanced)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

186 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by kevin vanrooyen View Post
    also what type of list will the other marine player be using (shooty assaulty balanced)
    My ally is going to be playing a crimson fist army, so thats probably going to be filled with more scouts, flamers, and possibly other heavy bolters; probably going to be balanced.

Traits:
    Blesed be the Warriors
    No Mercy, No Respite
    Flesh Over Steel

HQ:
    Captain
    Jump pack; pair of lightning claws; combat shield; terminator honours

Elites:
    8x Assault squad

8x Assault squad
    Terminator honours; powerfist; 8x furious charge

Troops:
    5x Scouts

5x Scouts

5x Marines
    Heavy bolter

5x Marines
    Plasmagun; terminator honours; power weapon
    Drop Pod

Fast Attack:
    [Drop Pod]

Total: 1000

Removed the heavy bolter on the tactical squad and swapped a power weapon on one of the assault squads. Looking at the list, I guess there isn't to much that can be done without dramatically altering the list; so I also altered the tactical squad; split it into two like a combat squad but with the sergeant led squad retaining the drop pod. (Sure five marines in a pod won't get to much done but one of the things about Raven Guard is tactical squads arriving via drop pod as support to scouts.)
    Last edited by darkreever; July 9th, 2008 at 02:43.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love the changes bro, try this: Drop the second scout squad and the missile launcher from the first. If you lose the drop pod too, you can get some devastators and really rock those orcs.

I'm not quite sure it will be enough, but I'm sure you can fit it in some way. Give them as many heavy bolters as you can and watch those orcs cry. If you really want that pod, power to ya, but those fists will tear up those tough boys when they hit your lines, and those heavy bolters will tear em up before they get there. But again, I'm kinda biased against scouts vs orcs. They get ripped apart in my experience.

So my advice:
    1. lost 1 scout squad.
    2. drop a ML
    3. drop pods
    4. get devastators w/ some HB's.
    5. 1 more fist

If you did that I would be jealous. But it's a great list anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

186 (x8)

Well my ally said he was using some scouts, them being appropriate for both our armies, so they will be able to do a bit better in combat against them than scouts usually do. (Since they will likely have suffer not the alien to live.)

One of the bigger focuses of Raven Guard, from what I've seen, has been precision strikes with high use of faster ground units. (Scouts calling down pods of marines to good locations while assault squads swoop in.) With one pod I can probably get away with only one unit of scouts, but I'd like to keep the missile launcher with them. If I do drop a squad, then I think the bulk of the points would go to increasing the size of the five man drop pod squad to ten and taking the other fist on the assault squad.

So what do you think of doing that, dropping one sniper squad for more tactical marines in the drop pod and another powerfist? Probably see some points left over after that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like it, but can you just explain to me something quick. What is your strategy with the drop pod against the orcs? To get a better shooting position, get objectives, etc? Then I can really help ya work some shit out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast