1850-2000pt Grey Knights - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1850-2000pt Grey Knights

Hi! I just decided to come up with a decidedly unorthodox grey knights list and a strategic/tactical dissection of why i think it could

work. I encourage people to tell me things i could do to improve it, but i must point something out: It is better to go into a battle with

the idea of victory, than defeat.

This list is intended to be interesting and fun to play, as well as 'competitive' in the sense that it is not broken or otherwise ill

equipped.

Also, if there are any errors or mistakes on my part regarding the rules, please tell me and i shall correct them.

HQ

Grey Knight Grandmaster
    NFW, stormbolter
    Retinue
    x7 Grey Knight Terminators

467pts

Troops

Powered Armor Grey Knights
    Justicar
    x9 Grey Knights in Power Armor
    x2 incinerators

295pts

Justicar
    x2 incinerators

295pts

Heavy Support:

Grey Knights Land Raider Crusader
    hull-mounted twin-linked assault cannon, multimelta, 2x hurricane bolter sponsons
    5th ed PotMS (see DH FAQ.)

Land Raider
    hull-mounted twin-linked heavy bolter, 2x twin linked lascannons
    Extra Armor

Land Raider
    hull-mounted twin-linked heavy bolter, 2x twin linked lascannons
    Extra Armor

765pts for all 3 tanks.

Notes:

The 5th edition Daemonhunters FAQ explicitly stated that we get a new version of the Machine Spirit rule.

1822pts at this moment, 1850-2000pts is my 'budget'. 28 to 178pts remain, depending.

Strategy

The basic goal of this list is to rush forward, 6" to 12" inches, depending on the situation, crushing all that get in the way of the three

land raiders. This is an army that is meant to TAKE objectives, not sit on my side of the table and wait the enemy out.

Tactica

I'm basically going to explain why i set each squad up as i have, and what i would use them for:

The core of this army is pretty much the three land raiders. In the new edition, they are arguably more survivable, and in theory, having

three on the table will force an opponent to either focus all of their fire on one tank at a time (until a a damage result in their favor

arrives), or they divide fire among all 3 of them. The latter being unlikely, but possible.
    The Crusader by default gains the benefits of extra armor, and the regular land raiders have been equipped with it as well, allowing them

to at least move and fire 1 weapon. Note that all these land raiders have the Machine Spirit rules as detailed in the new DH FAQ.

According to my understanding, the land raiders can now do the following:

Stand still and fire all weapons
    move 6" and fire 1 weapon normally, and 1 weapon with Machine Spirit, in theory at BS4. (the FAQ does not state if it's BS2 or 4, just to

'use shooting rules as normal')
    move 12" and fire one weapon with the machine spirit.
    In addition, the weapon guided by the machine spirit may choose a different target.
    The LR Crusader may always, no matter what other weapons it is firing or how far it has moved, fire it's hurricane bolters. There is

nothing that can stop a hurricane bolter from firing except destroying the weapon itself. And using smoke launchers.

Also note that all 3 land raiders can move 12" and deploy their passengers, and allow them to assault in the same turn. Also note that

with the PotMS, the regular LRs can support this with their heavy bolters.

Also, consider the ability to tank-shock enemy units and ram vehicles. The latter would be used less often, but still something to

remember.

Now, there are disadvantages: one is that these 3 tanks are almost 1 half of my whole army, a bit under 800pts.
    The other disadvantages are related to the metagame: in my current gaming environment, i have very little idea of who plays what armies,

but i know enough by discussing it online that there are a great many threats to these expensive tanks.
    Bikes with multimeltas
    fire dragons in falcon transports
    anything that carries lascannons, like devastator squads.
    The list goes on.

Another disadvantage, but one that can be addressed during deployment, is that if i do as i intend and deploy all my forces inside tanks,

there will be no infantry to help screen the vehicles from enemies such as previously mentioned. It would be up to my use of cover,

breaking line of sight, and the vehicles own weapons that ensure their survival. If necessary, i could for example choose not to deploy any

infantry inside the transports, putting 24 storm-bolters and 4 incinerators on the ground right at the start.

The Grandmaster and Retinue are intended to go in the crusader, and are my primary assault element. Unfortunately, due to the new

consolidation rules, they won't be quite as safe after the initial combat, but ideally, i can assault from a defensible position. At the

moment, they do not have any special equipment.

Advantage: For the most part, Grey Knight Terminators are probably the best close combat squad i have access to, and is head and shoulders

above several other close combat squads. Exceptions to that include genestealers and howling banshees. And i am well aware that it's a bad

idea to assault a close combat unit, when it'd be better to shoot it.
    Disadvantage: like the land raiders, this is a very large chunk of my army in a single squad.

The two grey knight squads are going to be the force that claims enemy objectives, and supplements the terminator squads. The incinerators

work equally well as offensive or defensive weapons, perfect for cleaning swaths of enemies in cover, or off an objective, and preventing

enemies from taking it back.

The disadvantage to the army as it stands is that i am VERY light on troops. If those 2 squads die, the best i can hope for is a draw,

because the 3 tanks and terminator squad are only capable of contesting an objective. That being said, these grey knights are scoring to

the last man, and fearless. It would be very hard to dislodge them.

Closing thoughts:

i bring this list here for the sake of just showing the idea, and I look forward to being able to field it myself. I have 1 land raider

crusader, i only need 2 more land raiders to make this list. As i said earlier, i'm open to suggestions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I really enjoy the idea of a spearhead of LRs to give a new mix on the Deamonhunter army I think theres just a couple of things to think about (mind you you are already apparent of most problems )
    The risk of land raiders is that, even though tough as nails, can be one shot on the first turn, some lucky jerk gets 3 anti armor shots at ya (which almost everyone will have at least at 1850-2000 pts) and your potentially outta the game.
    Another thing im not too much of a fan of is the incinerators on the PAGK, now i know what your idea is and the bonuses to templete weapons in 5th but do you really wanna be charging your only anti tank into close combat?
    Now if you used somthing along the lines of 3 crusaders I can support the idea of incineraters but otherwise i would just use the normal raiders (the setup you posted) and just keep boarding and deboarding your PAGKs about 20-24 inches away from enemy units that way getting dakka fire in and using them as deployable cover when at risk of anti tank. Think of a carrier ship with its (very expensive ) swarm to take shots for it
    Otherwise i still like the idea of Grandmasters and those units and if you were set on incieraters i would place them on those units. And thats my wall of text for ya, hope it helped

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually ive been thinking bout your list and it being kinda fun and new I fiddled with it for a couple hours, came up with numbers like this

If you have

1GM w/ 7 Terms

9PAGK(inc Just) w/ 1 incinerater
    9PAGK(inc Just) w/ 1 incinerater

1LRC
    LR w/EA
    LR w/EA

(pretty much just dropping 1 PAGK in each squad) you come out with 1752, pretty much allowing you to play at that point level.

But in the 5th its all bout troops troops troops so i was thinking:

5IST w/ 2plasma
    Rhino w/EA

comes out to 135 pts

So add 2 of those in and you get up to 2002 bringing you to the 2k bracket though in this case i would drop 1 term and get the two IST squads up to 7 men each good hunting and im prolly gonna steal your idea it sounds like a fun change

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just so ya know I run with a 2k list like this its:

GM (Mastercrafted NFW)
    7 Termies (Incinerater)

10 PAGK/Just (Incinerater)

10 PAGK/Just (Incinerater)

5 Seraphim (Vet Superior/Powerweapon, 2 twin flamers)

LRC (Pintle Stormbolter or Psyrounds{Deamonarmies }, Smoke Laucher)

LR (EA)

LR (EA)

it comes out to 1989 which case I add a sacred incence on the GM if its chaos or deamons, or eather get the Stormbolter/Psyround (whichever I dident take), OR a dozer blade on the crusader.

Just for your benifit from my playtesting, it is a little "cheesy" but i like vehicles (its why i started this hobby) so they can deal with it. The only danger i really worry about is having to deal with artillary, once you get in lazcannon range you tend to waste things before they can get you.

Be careful as well because the one downside is DOW deployment (a stinken 1/3rd chance) forces you to bring your landraiders in seperate, screwing with our army list. Otherwise its a blast to play and it just takes some games to get a grip on your Raider Tactics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For what its worth, by my maths your troop choices should come out at 305 points each, so an extra twenty points all told. Im another land raider fan, currently toying with three at 1500pts, but your aware of the problems which is good.

On your HQ choice, I would probably drop a few termies and spend the points on other things. Firstly, I don't think you can fit that many termies in a LRC, and secondly the last 2-4 termies aren't really helping it do anything it couldn't already. The points in my advice should go on more troops, either IST or PAGK as you prefer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can fit 8 termies in a LRC, but i do support your idea of more troops, personally im not a big IST guy but thats the main drawback of the mechinized greyknight lists i see, we alwasy suffer in troops, so eather focus on keeping your 2 squads alive or push some ISTs in rhinos to help hold objectives.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My suggestion for using the incinerators would be to drive the land raider up to squads, Ram the squad in a way that will force the player to move his units to one side of the tank. Now if done properly you can disembark and use your incinerators which will now have a nice straight compact line of people to melt.
    Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have considered a 3 Land Raider (Crusader) list. I dont see this winning much in 5th with your lack of Troops (Only 2 choices). To get another troops choice you'd have to drop quite a few GKT's.

If your intending to use all the LR's as Transports then 3 LRC's would be better and provide more shooting while moving. Its pointless to have PAGK's inside a transport that you cant move and shoot (With the exception of machine spirit, but you'll be hitting on 5's with that anyway).

I think you'll find any kind of list with Bright/Dark Lances, Rail Guns and Multi-meltas will find this list easy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im not sure how easy they'd find it. Smoke launchers are now pretty useful, and the PotMS means that you can hide behind cover, then move out 6 inches and fire two TL-Lascannons at different targets. So if its mech tau id say you now have a better chance. Your range is also double that of the multimeltas, and 12 more than the Lances. Same doesn't apply to the LRC, which is why I prefer LR, but if your lucky it might survive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im pretty much a noob when it comes to DH, but i fooled around with this list and this is wat i came out to

HQ
    Grey Knight Grandmaster w/ word of the emperor
    NFW, stormbolter
    Retinue
    x8 Grey Knight Terminators
    593pts

Troops
    Justicar
    x2 incinerators
    270pts

Justicar
    x2 incinerators
    270pts

Inquisitorial Stormtroopers
    x9 stormroopers, 2x plasma guns, x1 sergeant w/ plasma pistol
    -Chimera w/ Heavy Bolter, Hull-mounted heavy flamer, smoke launchers
    233pts

Heavy Support
    Grey Knights Land Raider Crusader
    hull-mounted twin-linked assault cannon, multimelta, 2x hurricane bolter sponsons, smoke launchers
    253pts

Grey Knight Land Raider Crusader
    -Hull-mounted twin-lined assault cannon, multimelta, 2x hurricane bolters sponsons,smoke launchers
    253pts

Grey Knight Dreadnought
    Close combat weapon, incinerator, autocannon, hunter-killer missiles
    145pts
    Innocence Proves Nothing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast