1000pts casual list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000pts casual list

Hey everyone, this is the first list that I've posted up for imperial guard. I've only really played fantasy before, however I have had a couple of trial games with a similar list to this one as an intro to 5th ed 40k (against nids and blood angels) which have been met with mixed success. Mainly the marines gave me trouble, but I did fairly well against tyranids. Anyway here's the list:

Doctrines - Storm trooper squads, Iron discipline, Close order drill, Grenadiers, (Drop troops? Worth including?)

HQ: (116pts)

Command Squad - 66pts
    Junior Officer, Veteran w/ company standard, Mortar, Iron Discipline

Sentinel w/ autocannon - 50pts

Elites: (166 pts)

6 Storm troopers - 91pts
    2 Meltaguns, Infiltrate, Sgt w/ power weapon

5 Veterans - 75pts
    Vet Sgt, 3 plasma guns

Troops: 563pts

Platoon Command squad - 70pts
    Junior Officer, HI, Iron discipline

Platoon Squad 1 - 83pts
    Missile Launcher, Grenade Launcher

Platoon Squad 2 - 85pts
    Autocannon, Plasmagun

Platoon Squad 3 - 80pts
    Heavy bolter, Plasmagun

Armoured fist squad - 165pts
    Autocannon, Plasmagun mounted in Chimera w/ multi-laser

6 Storm troopers (Grenadiers) - 80pts
    2 plasmaguns

Heavy Support: 155pts

Leman Russ - 155pts
    Hull mounted heavy bolter

Total Points: 1000

The basic idea behind this list was just to get a starting guard force up based around a platoon and leman russ supported by elites. The two command squads are supposed to provide leadership bubbles (so I tried to spread their capability - ie splitting the standard and Honorifica Imperialis into different units)

The reason for taking both grenadiers and storm trooper squads was simply because I had spare doctrine points and thought the squad that isn't infiltrating could be a useful extra scoring unit (being a troops choice). Although I am worried that maybe having these guys, vets, and some plasma in the platoon I have exceeded what would be considered a reasonable amount of plasma weapons?

There is also a lack of anti heavy-armour (which I am yet to encounter) and counter assault units.

But any thoughts/ suggestions for the list would be great?

Last edited by Viewmaster; July 25th, 2008 at 08:49.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x2)

Pretty sweet spread Viewmaster. I can think of a couple suggestions that I am not going to make because I have no experience with some of the troop types and some of the style of play that are common and I imagine someone else will bring up. However,

Consider taking your sentinel as a fast choice and not as part of your hq. You can use the scout move to flank opponents and get side armor shots, if you feel it's necessary.

I don't have any experience with grenadiers but it looks like you have your grenadier squad walking when you have an open elite choice left. If you take them as elite you can inflitrate or deep strike them.

I love the russ. Thats my new favorite 5th edition set up for that tank.

Take all the plasma you want. Don't worry or care about what everyone else thinks. Make up some fluff if you feel bad about it. You are playing against Blood Angels for crying out loud! Let the vampire, super human, faith point, ignore pain, living saint, masters of the universe whine about what is reasonable and what isn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol luckily all that jazz about being superhuman and feeling no pain has no effect when hit by a battle cannon...

Thanks for the reply youngunner. I'll change the sentinel over to a fast attack choice for the next game and maybe try the outflank move along with the stormtroopers with meltas. Other than that I guess the grenadiers stormies were simply taken because I had a spare doctrine point and thought another scoring unit could be handy.

And I think you're probably right with the plasma, providing I don't use it as the only weapon in my army it should be reasonable against some of the other special rules. However I will probably use grenade launchers more for the line squads simply because they seem to burn themselves prior to hitting anyone at the moment.

+ Reply to Thread