first ever 40k army, 500pts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

first ever 40k army, 500pts

Hi,
    I have just bought the codex, but dont have the 40k rulebook yet. This is my startup army for IG and would like your learned advice.. many thanks

HQ

Senior officer: bolt pistol surveyor
    Mortar 68
    Sentinal support squad
    1 sentinal mars pattern 45

Troops 1

Infanty platoon
    Junior officer lascannon

Infantry squad heavy bolter, grenade launcher
    Infantry squad missile launcher, grenade launcher 226

Troops 2

Armoured fist squad

Infantry squad meltagun, veteran seargent

Chimera multi laser heavy bolter 161

I make that total 500 exactly,

The idea of the mortar in the HQs quad is that i inended for the officer and his squad to hide away right at the back...

thanks in advance for any advice..
    makes sense to get experieced adviced before going out and spending cash

Kob

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Okay. Good start.

The best thing is that you understand the platoon system already. I commend and thank you for this.

Guard Officers (call them officers, its cooler) Hidinmg them. Practical and probably more fluffy.
    But they have a massive advantage of Ld Bonuses. Mortars work in or out of sight man. but if you play in high density games then its a very good tactic, otherwise, they will die.

with guard, I'd say its an army you want to work towards start about a 1000pt list, maybe even a 1500, then scaling it down before working towards your army for 500pts.
    That sounds wierd, but I think it works. As it means your keeping your army consistent through all the pts gap, rather than realising systems have to change once you've already tried to commit to something

Excellent start though.

Also, this would have been posted a good few hours earlier, but I forgot about the tab after eing sent a link, my apologies.
    "I have dug my grave in this place and I will either triumph or I will die!" Reclusiarch Grimaldus

"Those I cannot crush with words I will crush with the Tanks of the Imperial Guard!" Lord Solar Macharius

"Hear Me Inquisitor Ordinary. Obey me. I am of the Malleus!" Inquisitor Jaq Draco

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

56 (x1)

Thank you for your reply,

So I will write 1500 pt army list and then break it down into 500 point chunks to buy and paint up, gives me achievable goals to aim at (RL gets in the war of my wargaming)

Can I ask is there anything u would concider "must have" in a completed 1500 point army and anything in the codex that i should avoid?

I really want ogryn if i can sueeze them in... ordinary humans with a puny lasgun lined up waiting to die is something that attracted me to the army... the other thing is orgyns, i am an agressive player by nature and i want something in the list to have a chance to chop up the enemy

many thanks

Kob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by kobalt1974 View Post
    will write 1500 pt army list and then break it down into 500 point chunks

Can I ask is there anything u would concider "must have" in a completed 1500 point army and anything in the codex that i should avoid?

many thanks

Kob
    Not really how I was referrring to it but gd idea on the chunks I suppose. well unless your meaning build it by 500pts, now I think about it the way u said it is what I meant I just thought of it differently when 1st reading it.

I always found the beauty of guard is there is nothing a must have or must not have.
    They are SO versatile. Everything has a use. But usually in its respective place. Once you build up your list and maybe decide on doctrines. Then worry about changing stuff.

I love ogryns, I don't use them in my lists but thats for fluff reasons.
    Its very hard to reccomend something for guard unless you know speciaifcally what they are after.
    "I have dug my grave in this place and I will either triumph or I will die!" Reclusiarch Grimaldus

"Those I cannot crush with words I will crush with the Tanks of the Imperial Guard!" Lord Solar Macharius

"Hear Me Inquisitor Ordinary. Obey me. I am of the Malleus!" Inquisitor Jaq Draco

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want something to do a little choppy chop with, bring in some Space Marine Allies. They're not Ogryns, but they're a heck of a lot cheaper on your wallet ($15 per blister for Ogryns?!?!). You could get a Librarian with a Jump Pack and a squad of Assault Marines to bring the pain. That's one of the best parts about playing Guard....we're the good guys (death to the xenos!) and we get to bring our pals to the fight to help us out! Or you could model up some rough riders for some stabby stabby...like Green said, the Guard have SO MANY OPTIONS!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Nah I think inducting Marines would take the heart out of them.

And u can always eBay ogryns or something.
    Or convert them.

Rough Rider are amazing. But if ur doin a Cadian model army they need converting. You can't use the models there are with cadians in my opinion

I'd say think of what type of army you want to field. Then we'll help you from there. If you want that is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

56 (x1)

I have taken your advice and written a 1500 point list as a "completed vs allcomers" army, which i will break down into small parts for collecting / painting. Thanks to you all for all of the good advice, believe me it is much appreciated.

As far as allies goes, i could never see myself incorporating space marines into my army, i choose IG for the way they look, but could never add allies in there to reduce any weaknesses inherent in the army, if its not in the codex, its not in my army.. simple as that!

If i can stretch myself to having walking machines of war and lazcannons, i have no problems with persuading another race of creatures into fighting for the greater good, so orgyns can stay

so ... the list

HQ

HSO power weapon + bolt pistol
    Mortar, veteran with standard, surveyor 99

AT squad - 3 LC 110

Troops 1

HQ - JO plasmagun x 3 veteran medic 81

infantry squad A HB + GL 78
    infantry squad B HB + GL 78
    Infantry squad C AC + GL 83

Troops 2

HQ - JO bolt pistol power weapon 4 flamer 70

infantry squad A ML + PG 85
    infantry squad B ML 75
    infantry squad C ML + GL 83

Elite 1

10 stormtroopers grenade launcher + plasma gun / infiltrate 128

Elite 2

Ogryn squad 5 orgyn inc bone 'ed 135
    mounted in chimera ML + bolter 85

Fast attack 1

3 sentinels - cadian (AC) 150

Heavy support 1

1 leman russ BT heavy bolters / heavy bolters / extra armour 160

total 1500 exactly

So there we go, rubbish?

many thanks in advance

Kobalt

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

First of all may I just say that I am in no way an expert on IG, but just wanted to put my twopennies in.
    Secondly may I congratulate you on your use of Ogryns! I love them, they have never done much for me except die but I do love charging them into combat- such a novelty with guard, plus the models look great, and well worth the high monetary price- I took 4 of them to the LO meet at warhammer world and they got a lot of attention from passers by because you so rarely see them!

I particularly like the sentinels with AC, if you use the outflanking rule as well they can create a nasty proposition for your opponents.

Just a question about the mortar in the command squad though, at 500 points I can see the point, at 1500 though 1 mortar is going to do diddly squat- a squad of three though firing a barrage, thats another matter- if you can find the points i'd definatly recommend this option. Indirect fire is very useful in a guard army.

Also i personally dont ever take plasmaguns with normal guardsmen- just a big waste of points as they never hit anything, and in my case i always roll 1s. I always feel that with guard you have to maximise your fire by taking multipe shot weapons (Heavy bolters are great, as are autocannons) template and blast weapons, so all in all I think your list is pretty strong
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

56 (x1)

the mortar was just still in there from the 500 point list really, (because if u was going to make / paint the model i wanted to use it) .... not much of a strategy i know

it can easily be dropped, i can also switch out the plasma for more GL.. i kinda like the idea of fraggin the heck out of a horde approaching me, dropping templates all around, thats why the Plasma was in there anyways, i'd heard that template weapons had been given a little tweaking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

My advice would be to field the three sentinels as three separate choices: that way, if one is immobilised, the others won't be forced to stop with it. Also, it gives you greater flexibility for scouting and outflanking.

Other than that, this looks like a pretty solid list. Extremely vehicle-heavy armies might give you some trouble, since the heaviest anti-armour you're packing is a Missile Launcher, but other than that, it should be fine. Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast