Dirty Tricks - 3k BA - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Dirty Tricks - 3k BA

Hello all!

JohnPublic and I have decided to play a larger than normal game soon. We've decided on 3k points.

Here is a rough sketch of what I'm looking to running.

HQ

Lemartes

Corbulo

*I had Dante w/ HG and I still might go back to it.

Elite

9 Man DC

VAS 8man, TH/Melta/Melta

VAS 8man, TH/Melta/Melta

Assault Terminators, 5x Twin Lightning Claws

Troops

10 man Tac, PF, Melta, ML, Rhino

10 man Tac, ML

10 man Tac, ML

Fast

Attack Bike w/ MM

Attack Bike w/ MM

Attack Bike w/ MM

Heavy

Baal Pred w/ HB

Baal Pred w/ HB

Land Raider Crusader

Notes: Corbulo in LRC w/ 5 Assault Termies... what!!@?! Also, considering the effectiveness of 5 - 5man tac squads with MLs sitting back and pretending to be Devs until turn 4... and I had Dante w/ HG but replaced him with Corbulo w/ LCR and Termies, thinking more armor is good and also I never get to play with my LRC or my Termies =) lol.

Thoughts, ideas?
    I'm not used to this large of a force, so I'm probably missing something useful. Let me know.

-Josh

Last edited by kr0w17; August 18th, 2008 at 23:07.
    "Boonm you not rrrh rot
    dot n dot n dot per rot
    dot n not n dot per
    n dot chi cot n dot rrr ah"

-Jonathan Davis "Twist", Why did I ever listen to this guy?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x2)

It's a decent list and I think it will beat almost anything. As long as your opponent doesn't show up with Space Wolves you should be fine.

-JP
    "A word to the wise is infuriating." - Hunter Thompson

Projects: Warhammer 40k: Checkmate & JohnPublic's Board

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to see either Dante or Mephiston in a 3k match, but I also like that you have corbulo in there to give some units FC. Then again you could take out Lemartes and 1 VAS and put in Dante with his HG and either let the DC loose or keep Dante or Corbulo close to the DC. Using Corbulo FC, Dante's Inspiring and the BA standard bearer to the full effect would be pretty nasty. You could also take out one Tac with the ML and Lemartes for Dante and his HG.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Quick rules clarification:
    With Corbulo in a LRC can he keep the DC under control?

My thought is yes, but its probably right there in the 'dex but I missed it...
    "Boonm you not rrrh rot
    dot n dot n dot per rot
    dot n not n dot per

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kr0w17 View Post
    Quick rules clarification:
    With Corbulo in a LRC can he keep the DC under control?

My thought is yes, but its probably right there in the 'dex but I missed it...

No. It's in the rulebook under mixed units right before the missions. I think its around page 90. You also dont get the benifit of the red grail while he's in a transport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also for some reason thought that Dante could control the DC, but i guess he doesn't which seems wierd. So maybe you don't want to take Lemartes out. I just think Corbulo and Dante when used right would benifit the entire army while Lemartes only really benifits the DC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Good deal, thanks for the info JRD.

I'm gonna give it some more thought, I still might drop Lemartes and a Tac for Dante + HG, Dante plus Corbulo would deff be an dangerous combo!

'night

-Josh
    "Boonm you not rrrh rot
    dot n dot n dot per rot
    dot n not n dot per

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JRD4 View Post
    No. It's in the rulebook under mixed units right before the missions. I think its around page 90. You also dont get the benifit of the red grail while he's in a transport.

I am going to have to disagree with you there. I have both the Rule Book and the BA Dex in front of me right now. I checked the section you stated. But the only thing I could find that was close to 'mixed units' was multiple units. Which discusses how things like dedicated transports and the squad only count as one FOC slot. And before that is building rules. And how to organize a battle. Otherwise I see nothing at all stating why Corbulo or any character in a transport wouldn't control the DC or give furious charge broadcast or other similar abilities.

I also checked the Special Characters section, all the Universal Special rules as well as transports. Glanced through the entire index and skimmed the rules as a whole. You can use psychic powers from inside transports now in which case I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use Corbulo.

As well under the DC entry in the Dex it simply states Corbulo needs to be within six inches of the squad at the start of the movement phase. No more no less. If he's in a transport he's still on the board. And still within six (Just inside the transport). The same applies to his FC broadcast. It simply says any unit within 12 inches of Corbulo at the start of the assault phase.

Now I didn't re-read the book front to back again. But I did give it a pretty good look through. And I couldn't find anything, unless I missed it. Which is entirely possible. Saying that abilities like that don't function while in a transport. Unless you can point me to a very specific reference in the Rule book or the Dex. I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you. As well as say it's perfectly legit to use Corbulo's abilities while within a transport.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In any case. While I do love Lemartes, at that point level Krow I think taking Dante would be a major major boost to the army. Plus he essentially gives Litanies of Hate every turn to everyone =P Him and Corbulo with your sheer number of assault troops would be scary. Plus his LD10 to the army is nice especially with being able to re-roll morale. It rarely happen that Marines fail LD, but when they do it's in a big way.

My only concern is the TH's on the assault squads not getting much use out of the FC from Corbulo. But the LC termies would own. Perhaps if you drop a tac squad in lieu of the Honor Guard, get the banner and -another- Priest! You might be able to take one the VAS with some LC's. S'up to you. I see plenty of anti tank in your list. And Int 5 str 5 Lightning Claws with Preferred enemy and 5 attacks a marine is scary imo.

Of course you could also switch the TH's to the Termies (which then gives them Storm Shields) and give the VAS the LC's but it's all preference at this point.

And no DC dreads! Aww. But they are so fun. Nice on the Baal Preds. At 3k you can take a detachment but. I like the list. Lemme know how the rhino tac squads work out for you. I usually don't take em as I don't expect my tac squads to see much up front action with need of a PF. I just generally camp them on an objective.
    Last edited by Mesi; August 19th, 2008 at 08:55.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JRD4 View Post
    I could not find where it says you cant control the DC if the corbulo is in a LR and DC is within 6" at the start of movement phase. I may have missed the particular rule in the rule book but I could not find it.

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

I'm not used to this large of a force, so I'm probably missing something useful. Let me know.

Whirlwinds and a Psychic Hood (depending on opponent)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast