New chapter / Legion (need ideas) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New chapter / Legion (need ideas)

hey i wanna make my own chapter/Legion (went into warp before gulliman enforced the codex astartes laws possibly) based on the greeks and before any iron warriors diehards start rantin onabout them being based on the greeks alredy(loosely). i also intend to make my own primarch. i could really use some ideas, so please feel free 2 express any issues or ideas you may have. Thank You

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the leader could be named after zeus or the greek god ow war?

Hisop

Australia, but doing an exchange in Germany
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

the greek god of war is Ares. also Athena was the god of strategy and Nike wwas the goddess of victory.
    altough, i reckon it would be more interesting basing a legion/chapter on 400BC sicily. i.e sideways dark red plumes with grey, silver or white armour and crimson cloaks (i got the idea from reading tyrant by valerio masimo manfredi, great book, and its cover art)
    but if you still got your heart set on greeks, then i'd say model them on spartans. come to think of it spartans are probably the most sensible replicates of space marines.
    The other thing you could do is create a chapter based on Alexander's Companions.
    anyway, sorry about not being much help with your greeks. and the idea you got is such a good one!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SSPPPAAARRRTTTTAAAANNNSSS TONIGHT WE DINE IN HELL!!!!!! cough cough,

i agree with luke.noorda in parts, you could use dark angel models (they have lots of cloaks and hoods and stuff lol) and paint the cloaks blood red, while painting the general armour chainmail or boltgun metal,

Use greek sybols to denote squads, go wikipedia or google and search greek names, think up a name for your chapter such as Imperial Dragons, then using google find out what each word is in latin and you have a decent chapter name in this case Draco Imperialis (more or less lol).

Also dont forget that with your chapter/legion being pre-heresy their gunna have to be using older armour (point nosed helmets or others) examples are on the gw online store i think.

For a primarch you need to decide on the chapter name/ maybe world or chapter trates, th blood angel primarch is Sangiunus (something to do with blood) and their hereldry envolves lots of wing shapes and blood drops, when you decide on a chapter name give me a shout lol i might be able to help

Hope my ranting was usefull lol
    Hellblade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

i think if you're gonna go with greeks it'd be real neat to go with something to do with greek mythology (i.e i created my own chapter based on celts and they're called Shields of Teutatis, i named it as such because teutatis is the god associated with the protection of the tribe/people and shields were the only form of armour a celt (discluding nobles and chiefs))
    so if you're basing it on spartans, then maybe their name could be Sons of Hercules, seeing as the spartans believed they descended from Hercules.
    and you definetly have to have crests/plumes on all your sergeants and veterans! it'd be despicable not too!!
    as for tactics, if you wanted to remain historically correct, then you'd have your veteran infantry on your rightmost flank with the rest of your infantry spread to the left. these troops (hoplites) would either hold the line, or slowly move forward. the remainder of your forces would be Assault Marines, close combat Tactical Marines in Rhinos and probably CC scouts, all these troops would all historically zip round the enemy and push them onto the pikes (bolters) of the stationary hoplites. although, i can see this tactic as being exceedingly difficult to enact in a normal TT game.
    and i'm not too sure if that is the greeks original style of warfare, or the one adopted and improved by Philip the Barbarian of Macedon and Alexander the Great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You a historian by anychance lol, love the greeks, but the romans well their in another class of thir own lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no m8 i'm not a historian. thanks 4 the ideas i was considering the spartans. As for the Primarch what do you guys think of Ares or Alexandros. Alexandros is a deriviation of the name Alexander and means defender of mankind (and of course the meaning was made after Alexander the Great ..well...became great lol (plus alexander was macedonian)
    Ares was the greek god of war so that also really ties in with the primarchs being supposedly godly and all, aswell as having a outstanding martial prowess
    p.s. i was going to do Leonidas as the primarch , but he would end up being to much like the Lion (becase leonidas means Son of the Lion)
    Last edited by Lion El' Johnson; August 29th, 2008 at 23:15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

nah, i'm fifteen. i just am a bit nerdy when it comes to historical novels and history in general.
    haha... bit of advise: don't say that Alexander the Great was greek to anyone who is either greek or macedonian. because Alexander's mother (Olympius) was from Epirius and his father (Philip the Barbarian) was from Macedon. (sorry if i sounded snappy, lol)
    so yeah, i'd go with Ares. and another idea i had was to disallow HQs to take a command squad. because i found out that the greeks didn't really have a big chain of command. i think they usually had a commander, then his captains and then all the troops.
    modeling wise, i was wondering what you'd all think of taking away the normal shoulder pads and putting strips of plasti-card bending over the shoulder from front to back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know what you mean mate i love history
    Last edited by Lion El' Johnson; August 29th, 2008 at 22:10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its a good idea mate i reckon i'm gonna go with Ares, however in greek mythology Ares was believed to be a coward and massacred everyone in bloodlust (a bit like angron) but hey u cant win them all
    Last edited by Lion El' Johnson; August 29th, 2008 at 23:08.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast