2,000 point post-5th wishlist - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

2,000 point post-5th wishlist

So I still don't play guard, and won't for a looong time, as this list, if it's a good one, will be expensive to build, and take quite a long time, and I've got marines and necrons for the time being.

Still, after 5th edition came out I re-thought pretty much everything I've been doing or planning on doing, and as I detailed in another thread, I've been rethinking the idea of making my future guard army too mobile.

To that end, I've decided to abandon my previous idea of an all-mech force in favor of something a little more balanced.

Doctrines: Grenadiers

HQ:

Junior Officer with Honorifica Imperialis, storm bolter + Heavy Bolter, Plasma gunner, Vox Caster -- 95 points

Chimera for squad -- Multilaser, heavy bolter, extra armour, smoke launchers, rough terrain mod, pintle-mounted heavy stubber -- 110 points

Total: 205

Troops:

Grenadiers x 10, Veteran sergeant with power weapon, two meltaguns -- 131 points
    Chimera -- Multilaser, heavy bolter, extra armour, smoke launchers, rough terrain mod, pintle-mounted heavy stubber, track guards -- 120 points

Grenadiers x 10, Veteran sergeant with power weapon, two meltaguns -- 131 points
    Chimera -- Multilaser, heavy bolter, extra armour, smoke launchers, rough terrain mod, pintle-mounted heavy stubber, track guards -- 120 points

Infantry platoon:
    Junior officer, missile team, grenade launcher, vox caster -- 68 points
    Infantry platoon squad w/heavy bolter, grenade launcher -- 78 points

Infantry platoon:
    Junior officer, missile team, grenade launcher, vox caster -- 68 points

Total troops: 950

Elites:

Hardened Veterans x 10, lascannon, three plasma guns -- 140 points

Total Elites: 280

Fast Attack:

Rough Riders x 7, melta bombs, two meltaguns, veteran sergeant w/power weapon -- 115 points

Rough Riders x 7, melta bombs, two meltaguns, veteran sergeant w/power weapon -- 115 points

Total Fast Attack: 230

Heavy Support:

Leman Russ, hull heavy bolter, extra armour, smoke launchers, track guards, rough terrain mod -- 168 points

Leman Russ, hull heavy bolter, extra armour, smoke launchers, track guards, rough terrain mod -- 168 points

Total Heavy Support: 336

Total: 2001

The basic strategy: Vets infiltrate and rough riders move up, all to take out main armour threats. The infantry squads move up to take objectives. One grenadier squad goes in front of each to offer initial anti-infantry coverage. Leman Russes will be on outer flanks, covering the infantry squads against infantry. HQ is in the center, between the infantry squads. HQ and russes also can pull back to serve as rear guard against deep strikers. Infantry squads' job is to get on the objectives and make sure nothing budges them.

Thoughts?

Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

A chimera for your officer squad may not be the most effective. your officer is set up to sit behind a rock and use his vox. When the chimera gets your officer squad where you want it what will 4 guardsmen do? one thing you could do is keep the chimera drop the plasma gun and sit the chimera it in a fireing lane. Keep the officer squad in the chimera and use the heavy guner as a 3rd heavy bolter on the chimera.

your troop squads need vox casters. the officer squads dont need them (they already have a good enough leadership)

good list hope you have fun putting it together
    "Thank him who puts me loath to this revenge on you who wrong me not for him who wrongd"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by sendaf View Post
    A chimera for your officer squad may not be the most effective. your officer is set up to sit behind a rock and use his vox. When the chimera gets your officer squad where you want it what will 4 guardsmen do? one thing you could do is keep the chimera drop the plasma gun and sit the chimera it in a fireing lane. Keep the officer squad in the chimera and use the heavy guner as a 3rd heavy bolter on the chimera.

your troop squads need vox casters. the officer squads dont need them (they already have a good enough leadership)

good list hope you have fun putting it together
    Thanks for the insights. You're right about the vox casters. I'll have to fix that.

Seems my biggest dilemma is the command squad. I was trying to make it good for shooting at infantry. The chimera would give the army another vehicle (four seems too small a number, and too easy a set of targets), and I wanted mobility to help guard against infiltrators trying to take me from behind.

I figured the new rules make troops very valuable, so I thought I'd gear the army toward protecting the infantry platoons. The stormtroopers could potentially break from the herd and take an objective that's further away.

If I ditched the chimera, what's the best use of the command squad in this list, besides just using the vox?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

The best way to use a vox command squad is have an hso and a master vox then nothing else

i think the best way to your command squad is by giving it a power weapon (and droping the HI) and be a cheap counter assault unit

Since you will probably have an officer squad around your troop squads im not sure how usefull a vox will be

also remember that even your troop junior officer squads can hold objectives so if you are going to sacrifice an officer squad your HQ should be your first choice
    "Thank him who puts me loath to this revenge on you who wrong me not for him who wrongd"

Hellhounds are good tanks Dakka,Dakka,Dakka's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

give your grenadiers different weapons, they should have plasma, flamer, or grenade laucher if your tasking them with anti infantry, save melta guns for anti tank, they are not as good as any above against infantry

plasma is rapidfire, and can anything without AV 14(and it ignores armor saves)

Flamers have a great template, and never miss(then again stormtroopers dont miss often) but flamers can cause maximum damage if used correctly(can cause more damage than any other special weapon)

and grenade launchers offer versitility, poping vehicles, or templating infantry, they are highly effective against T-3 opponents, and still effective against MEQ(just dont expect to see terminators die from it........although they have..........)

melta guns are actually the worst for anti infantry.

personally i like fire, and flamers look cool!
    Hellhounds are good tanks

Satan - "**** you Kage! And **** you Jables! I'll get you Tenacious DDDDdddddddeeeeee!!!!!!"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

457 (x8)

Hmm... good catch on the meltas. Silly me.

Ok, here's an updated list:

So I still don't play guard, and won't for a looong time, as this list, if it's a good one, will be expensive to build, and take quite a long time, and I've got marines and necrons for the time being.

Still, after 5th edition came out I re-thought pretty much everything I've been doing or planning on doing, and as I detailed in another thread, I've been rethinking the idea of making my future guard army too mobile.

To that end, I've decided to abandon my previous idea of an all-mech force in favor of something a little more balanced.

Doctrines: Grenadiers

HQ:

Junior Officer with Honorifica Imperialis + Mortar, Grenade Launcher, Master Vox -- 105 points

Total: 105

Troops:

Grenadiers x 10, Veteran sergeant with power weapon, two plasma guns -- 131 points

Grenadiers x 10, Veteran sergeant with power weapon, two plasma guns -- 131 points

Infantry platoon:
    Junior officer, missile team, grenade launcher -- 63 points
    Infantry platoon squad w/heavy bolter, grenade launcher, vox caster -- 83 points
    Infantry platoon squad w/heavy bolter, grenade launcher, vox caster -- 83 points

Infantry platoon:
    Junior officer, missile team, grenade launcher -- 63 points

Total troops: 960

Elites:

Total Elites: 280

Fast Attack:

Rough Riders x 7, hunting lances, veteran sergeant with power weaopn -- 85 points

Total Fast Attack: 315

Heavy Support:

Total Heavy Support: 336

Total: 1996

I've ditched the chimera for the command squad and built a counter-charge squad of rough riders to bring up the rear.

+ Reply to Thread